The Student Room Group

What degree can I do with my subjects

Please list lots so I can decide I’m really scared because my a levels are pretty soft
Maths psychology art
there is no such thing as soft a-levels
what do you want to do?
Original post by vapordave
there is no such thing as soft a-levels
what do you want to do?

I want to be a chartered accountant but I don’t think I can with just maths and psychology
Original post by Anonymousnumber
I want to be a chartered accountant but I don’t think I can with just maths and psychology

of course you can :smile: you have three a-levels including maths which should be enough to get you on a related course
have you done any research on courses?

To begin with, you can go into an accountancy grad scheme with any degree subject - I know someone who did it after doing history and politics at uni. Also even if you wanted to specifically do a course like accounting, you would still meet the requirements.

Essentially your A-levels will let you do any degree EXCEPT the following:

Medicine, vet med, dentistry (with the exception of Newcastle med, which accepts any A-level combination)

Most modern European languages degrees, as they typically require AN A-level in a modern language, albeit not necessarily the target language. There may be a few without that requirement, and many non-European languages degrees will consider students from a wider range of backgrounds as long as they can demonstrate some aptitude for language learning (often through an A-level in any language, but also through other means).

Most direct entry STEM subjects except CS and some maths degrees - however you could apply to almost any STEM subject with a foundation year.

Literature degrees (English lit, comparative lit, etc) as they normally require A-level English Lit.

Many history degrees (as they often, but not always, require A-level History).

Some geography degrees (sometimse require A-level Geography, but not always).

Most performing arts courses unless you have relevant background to pass an audition.

Single honours economics at LSE, as they expect A-level FM if available to the student.(some of the joint honours courses don't though, like economics and politics).

So as you can see, especially when you consider the possibilities of doing a foundation year, you could apply to almost any degree really. So it's just a case of finding one which fits your interests :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by vapordave
of course you can :smile: you have three a-levels including maths which should be enough to get you on a related course
have you done any research on course

yeah i have a bit but really thanks for those kind words very appreciate it :biggrin:
Original post by artful_lounger
To begin with, you can go into an accountancy grad scheme with any degree subject - I know someone who did it after doing history and politics at uni. Also even if you wanted to specifically do a course like accounting, you would still meet the requirements.

Essentially your A-levels will let you do any degree EXCEPT the following:

Medicine, vet med, dentistry (with the exception of Newcastle med, which accepts any A-level combination)

Most modern European languages degrees, as they typically require AN A-level in a modern language, albeit not necessarily the target language. There may be a few without that requirement, and many non-European languages degrees will consider students from a wider range of backgrounds as long as they can demonstrate some aptitude for language learning (often through an A-level in any language, but also through other means).

Most direct entry STEM subjects except CS and some maths degrees - however you could apply to almost any STEM subject with a foundation year.

Literature degrees (English lit, comparative lit, etc) as they normally require A-level English Lit.

Many history degrees (as they often, but not always, require A-level History).

Some geography degrees (sometimse require A-level Geography, but not always).

Most performing arts courses unless you have relevant background to pass an audition.

Single honours economics at LSE, as they expect A-level FM if available to the student.(some of the joint honours courses don't though, like economics and politics).

So as you can see, especially when you consider the possibilities of doing a foundation year, you could apply to almost any degree really. So it's just a case of finding one which fits your interests :smile:

wow i feel bad u had to write all that out for me so really thanks to you i just really appreciate what u wrote. thank u really very so much for this :biggrin:

Just thought I’d add that you can become a chartered accountant through an apprenticeship :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest