Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want and need one for my winter running. I can't really find much information though on the net about them, no one seems to be really recommending them...and I have searched a fair bit.

So can anyone recommend a good running jacket?

I'm not really sure of a budget, but I would like a fairly good one.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Ok,
    Have a look at Gore Running and also Nike. Depends what you want - waterproof? Or windproof/warm. Also depends on your budget. Both do lightweight running jackets:

Waterproof - just a shell which will keep you drier, and to add warmth I'd run with a Helly warm or something similar underneath, although shells are massiely breathable so you will get nice and warm in there!
    Gore - Shell jacket

Windproof - Soft shell jackets. Tend to be water resistant to some degree but just stop the wind from cutting through and add another layer.
    Gore - windproof

I have a few Gore products and love them. I shall probably be buying some more winter gear off them at some point e.g a windstopper, some tights and a few more layers!

PS If you have more to spend, you can pick up a jacket that is water/wind proof but also ventilated.

ReputationRep:
    I would quite like a water and wind proof jacket actually.

I'd also like to get one for under £90.

This one seems nice http://upandrunning.co.uk/websales/detail.php?id=3111

The thing is though, I've never even heard of that site or that make. So I'm kind of looking for the definitive best jacket to buy at the moment advice and from where, sort of like what I do for computers.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Well stick to a known brand and you need to try it on to decide what's best for you. I don't hthink you're going to get much response here because most of the runners are hard and just go in shorts/t-shirt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn1989)

The thing is though, I've never even heard of that site or that make. So I'm kind of looking for the definitive best jacket to buy at the moment advice and from where, sort of like what I do for computers.
    that is a good place to get gear from if your just doing it for fitness/enjoyment, unsure of the actual jacket, iv just got a lightweight adidas one thats windproof and i think waterproof, i only generally wear it on warm ups, but of late while iv been injured iv been wearing it so i sweat out more and can also keep warmer as im not getting up to speeds that i would be usually, try decathlon, kelanji are a good cheap make thats sold at decathlon.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate

ReputationRep:
    Pshah, run in your underwear only like a real man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    Pshah, run in your underwear only like a real man.
    I've been running in shorts and T-Shirt ever since the summer. Seeing as I run down the canal by ours, where it is pretty windy, I need some kind of jacket as I am getting a few colds recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn1989)

That jacket is a cracking jacket, a friend has it and recommends it highly. Last months RW had a jacket feature. I'll see if i can dig it out for you!

ReputationRep:
    Decathalon windproof jacket, a tenner. It's far more breathable than anything with 'gore' written on the label and unless you're out in the hills in pouring rain you'll be far more comfortable in a base-layer/windproof combo than anything waterproof. It sheds a lot of water before it finally comes through and they're bright colours with reflective bits. That OMM jacket is way overkill unless you're planning on running a lot of miles in driving rain (but if you're wondering, upandrunning are great and OMM make the best running stuff money can buy).

Montane do lots of nice things too, if you really really want a waterproof then there's one here for £30 http://secure.lakesrunner.com/montan...html?p=product

ReputationRep:
    I got this one in the end...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adidas-adiSt...7386067&sr=8-1

I love it

Cheers for the replies fellas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.