The Student Room Group

Would my situation be considered exceptional circumstances for moving universities?

Hi. I would like to know whether wanting to change the degree I am currently studying be a good enough reason for me to move universities? I want to apply for Oxford Engineering Science to start over, and I'm only in my current degree because it was what my parents wanted me to do initially, but having had a long talk with them, they agreed for me to pursue what I want to do instead. However Oxford requires my reasoning to be an exceptional circumstance in order for it to be considered, could anyone help me assess my situation please? Thanks.
The normal route for what you're talking about is to drop out of your current course and apply to Oxford through UCAS just like you did to get into your current university. You don't need exceptional circumstances for that. You just do it. Provided you've only had one year of student finance so far, you don't even need to worry about that - you can get one extra year regardless of the circumstances.

Exceptional circumstances tend to be things like "for medical reasons, I now have to live within 30 minutes drive of the one hospital in the country which has the equipment needed to keep me alive, it's in Oxford, please can I transfer from my current university without having to start my degree again?"
That wouldn’t be exceptional circumstances at most uni’s, no.
Thank you for your answer! However my concern is that on their official website, they stated the following:

"If you are currently studying at a UK university and are thinking of applying to Oxford to start the first year of an undergraduate course, please note that normally we will only consider such applications in exceptional circumstances and you should make very clear in your application why you do not wish to continue on your current course"

What should I do about that?
Original post by skylark2
The normal route for what you're talking about is to drop out of your current course and apply to Oxford through UCAS just like you did to get into your current university. You don't need exceptional circumstances for that. You just do it. Provided you've only had one year of student finance so far, you don't even need to worry about that - you can get one extra year regardless of the circumstances.

Exceptional circumstances tend to be things like "for medical reasons, I now have to live within 30 minutes drive of the one hospital in the country which has the equipment needed to keep me alive, it's in Oxford, please can I transfer from my current university without having to start my degree again?"
I see, do you have any advice on how I should apply then?
Original post by Admit-One
That wouldn’t be exceptional circumstances at most uni’s, no.
Original post by TheWhitePumpkin
I see, do you have any advice on how I should apply then?

You’d need to withdraw from your current Uni to apply, (note that it says “currently studying”), so a big risk of not getting an offer from Oxford next time around.

Did you apply to them previously and if so, did you get any feedback?
Thank you for your answer! However my concern is that on their official website, they stated the following:

"If you are currently studying at a UK university and are thinking of applying to Oxford to start the first year of an undergraduate course, please note that normally we will only consider such applications in exceptional circumstances and you should make very clear in your application why you do not wish to continue on your current course"

What should I do about that?

You drop out of your current course right now (preferably before starting the next year as it makes the whole how much funding you've had situation much less complicated). That paragraph is for people who are trying to avoid a year's break in between leaving their current university and starting at Oxford, which is pretty much impossible. Probably because otherwise they would get enormous numbers of applications from first years at other universities who would have liked to go to Oxford, didn't get in, and are thinking they'll give it one last try while carrying on with their current course as insurance.

If you don't go back to your current university in the next couple of weeks, when you apply to Oxford you will not be currently studying at a UK university. This isn't some sort of loophole, it's a completely normal way to go about it.

(edit: given that you want to change course as well, you'll presumably also be applying to four other universities for your new selected course.)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Admit-One
You’d need to withdraw from your current Uni to apply, (note that it says “currently studying”), so a big risk of not getting an offer from Oxford next time around.

Did you apply to them previously and if so, did you get any feedback?

I see, and no I did not apply previously, this would be my first time. I probably didn't explain my situation properly, but this year would actually be my first year at my currently (meaning I haven't studied here yet), and I wouldn't have officially studied here by the time I submit my application. Do you see any way around that?
You drop out of your current course right now (preferably before starting the next year as it makes the whole how much funding you've had situation much less complicated). That paragraph is for people who are trying to avoid a year's break in between leaving their current university and starting at Oxford, which is pretty much impossible. Probably because otherwise they would get enormous numbers of applications from first years at other universities who would have liked to go to Oxford, didn't get in, and are thinking they'll give it one last try while carrying on with their current course as insurance.

If you don't go back to your current university in the next couple of weeks, when you apply to Oxford you will not be currently studying at a UK university. This isn't some sort of loophole, it's a completely normal way to go about it.

(edit: given that you want to change course as well, you'll presumably also be applying to four other universities for your new selected course.)

I see, I probably didn't explain my situation properly, but this year would actually be my first year at my currently (meaning I haven't studied here yet), and I wouldn't have officially studied here by the time I submit my application. Do you see any way around that?
I see, and no I did not apply previously, this would be my first time. I probably didn't explain my situation properly, but this year would actually be my first year at my currently (meaning I haven't studied here yet), and I wouldn't have officially studied here by the time I submit my application. Do you see any way around that?

At that point you just don't start at the university you were going to go to. Take a gap year instead.

There is no way round it which involves you being at university in the upcoming year.
At that point you just don't start at the university you were going to go to. Take a gap year instead.

There is no way round it which involves you being at university in the upcoming year.

Thanks for your advice, I guess it's kinda hard to get that assurance. The problem for me is that I've already deferred my current offer for a year already and cannot take another gap year or else I'll lose my offer. Though I could apply again next year if I wanted to for my current offer incase Oxford doesn't work out. From your experience, how likely is it to get an offer again from the same place I already got an offer at in the first place? I guess it's just another way of insurance (and sorry for asking so many questions, but this is really important for me)
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for your advice, I guess it's kinda hard to get that assurance. The problem for me is that I've already deferred my current offer for a year already and cannot take another gap year or else I'll lose my offer. Though I could apply again next year if I wanted to for my current offer incase Oxford doesn't work out. From your experience, how likely is it to get an offer again from the same place I already got an offer at in the first place? I guess it's just another way of insurance (and sorry for asking so many questions, but this is really important for me)

It’s pretty likely if you meet the academic conditions with achieved grades. Not guaranteed though, hence the risk.

(NB. You can’t apply elsewhere whilst holding a deferred offer in any case.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending