The Student Room Group

chemistry lattice

is lattice like a molecule?
Reply 1
Molecules and lattices are two different things. A molecule only contains atoms that are bonded to each other, whereas a lattice contains atoms molecules or ions bonded together. Hope this helps!
Original post by BrightBlueStar11
is lattice like a molecule?

Molecules and lattices are different in their structure: a molecule is a compound by atoms (neutral particles), while a lattice consists of ions, so charged particles.
Original post by Kallisto
Molecules and lattices are different in their structure: a molecule is a compound by atoms (neutral particles), while a lattice consists of ions, so charged particles.

hello,

thanks
but doesnt covalent lattice not have ions?
Original post by BrightBlueStar11
hello,

thanks
but doesnt covalent lattice not have ions?

Depends on the kind of compounds and what you look for exactly. Salt crystals for instance have ionic bondings in their lattice, but graphite in turn is a bonding of carbon atoms and some even molecules as in synthetic materials. Sorry, looks like I have forgotten some another kinds of lattices, it was not my intention to confuse you.
hello,

thanks so much for your replies.

can i also ask if lattice shows all atoms involved in that particular matter? Or is it just small proportion which shows its arrangement?

Quick Reply

Latest