Turn on thread page Beta

Might be getting a dog [Advice Please!] watch

ReputationRep:
    I have seen a recent advertisement for a 4 year old German Shepard for free if I meet the requirements which in my opinion I do as their is always one person at home.

The fact it won't cost me isn't the main attraction. I was just wondering would I have a strong bond with the dog even though I didn't have it since it was a puppy or should I get one from a puppy so I can get a real bond with the dog.

I don't want it to flip out on my mom at home due it not being fimilar with her!

I'll be a first dog owner btw if that helps and I am prepared to walk/run the dog in the morning and at night.

Ok I've added a picture of him
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    you dont need a puppy to make a bond with a dog, just treat it with love and respect

i have 2 dogs, one since he was about 2, and his son since a puppy. and theres absolutely no difference. give it a few weeks and it will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Get a cat. Dogs smell.

ReputationRep:
    my advice is put it down as soon as you get it.

ReputationRep:
    watch the dog whisperer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Get a cat. Dogs smell.
    cats crawl around kitchen worktops :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    That's OK - they're clean.

Dogs **** on the carpet.

ReputationRep:
    Get a cat. Dogs smell.
    Ew cat... I want a walking/running partner, I can't picture myself running alongside a cat

ReputationRep:
    That's OK - they're clean.

Dogs **** on the carpet.
    are they **** clean

ill admit, mine have **** on the carpet a few times, but the idea of having a tray in a kitchen for the cat to **** on doesnt appeal to me ;P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    :yep: and that comes from a cat and dog lover.

If someone said you could have a tiger, free to a good home, would you?

Having a dog is a massive responsiblity, don't take it on just because you meet the basic requirements to get one for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    are they **** clean

ill admit, mine have **** on the carpet a few times, but the idea of having a tray in a kitchen for the cat to **** on doesnt appeal to me ;P
    Cats go out to poop. :yep:

And OP - cats can run :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't get a german shepard as a first dog.... they are big and stubburn and need a lot of training.

also getting a dog should be a joint decision with the entire family, so if you are unsure how it would react to your mUm then you really need to let her meet it first and have a say in the decision.

as far as bonding goes there is no problem with bonding with a dog not had from a puppy IMO, my dog's a rescue that we got when he was 8 and we get on fine and dandy *awwwww goes all soppy and misses him* :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfect_Gent)
    :yep: and that comes from a cat and dog lover
    yay, the fence meister is wrong :yep:
    Cats go out to poop. :yep:

And OP - cats can run :hmmm:

and im wrong tom
    dont lie, we all know cats cant run, theyre lazy *******

ReputationRep:
    :yep: and that comes from a cat and dog lover.

If someone said you could have a tiger, free to a good home, would you?

Having a dog is a massive responsiblity, don't take it on just because you meet the basic requirements to get one for free.
    I've wanted a dog for a good few years and as I said the price isn't the main attraction. A puppy may be cute but I don't want it crapping all over my carpet, even though the 4 year MIGHT it wouldn't do it as frequently.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a running partner advertise for a running partner, it'll take you ages to get it to walk/run with you.

I don't think you've said why it's being re-homed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAgg)
    I've wanted a dog for a good few years and as I said the price isn't the main attraction. A puppy may be cute but I don't want it crapping all over my carpet, even though the 4 year MIGHT it wouldn't do it as frequently.
    they dont really crap on carpet, you can get scented pads for them which encourage them to do it somewhere else (outside)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    yay, the fence meister is wrong :yep:

dont lie, we all know cats cant run, theyre lazy *******
    My cat runs. She races me when she meets me outside. Normally wins too

ReputationRep:
    If you want a running partner advertise for a running partner, it'll take you ages to get it to walk/run with you.

I don't think you've said why it's being re-homed?
    The guy lives in a flat so he can't keep it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAgg)
    I have seen a recent advertisement for a 4 year old German Shepard for free if I meet the requirements which in my opinion I do as their is always one person at home.

The fact it won't cost me isn't the main attraction. I was just wondering would I have a strong bond with the dog even though I didn't have it since it was a puppy or should I get one from a puppy so I can get a real bond with the dog.

I don't want it to flip out on my mom at home due it not being fimilar with her!

I'll be a first dog owner btw if that helps and I am prepared to walk/run the dog in the morning and at night.
    If you give lots of love and attention i'm sure it'll bond with you! I didn't get to know my uncles Springer Spaniel until she was about 8 years old but we got on great!

oh, why don't you and your mum go and have a look at her/him see if the dog gets on with you and your mum? i'm sure the previous owners will be okay.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My cat runs. She races me when she meets me outside. Normally wins too
    rofl nice ;D

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.