Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, what's the best language to learn. We (the Great British public) keep being told that English is the best language as everybody else around the world is learning it (including the Americans but they're finding it difficult).

I'm a bit dubious and would like to learn and appreciate another language, does anyone have any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    My personal suggestion would be Esperanto... and before I get laughed at, and get the standard "only losers/geeks/weirdos speak Esperanto" response:
    It's been shown time and again in experiments that Esperanto makes learning other languages later easier - 6 months of studying Esperanto then 18 months of French led to greater fluency in the test group than 24 months of learning just French. Other advantages? It's ridiculously easy to learn (no irregular verbs, nouns etc; intuitive word construction) and although it may not be massively widely spoken (worldwide number of speakers (to a decent level) estimated at around 2 million) it opens up new cultures without tying you down to a particular culture as a national language would... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto - take a look!

ReputationRep:
    This is the thing you see, a friend of mine is a language tutor and he says that the best thing to learn is one of the colonising languages. They're normally a second language in most countries around the world. a bit like English in India. I want to be usefull and not just asume everyone should speak English

ReputationRep:
    What about German

But I really think Japanese would be helpful or maybe Russian.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you throw a dart at a map and learn that one?

ReputationRep:
    What about something like Japanese or Russian? Try a new alphabet!

Or you could do Spanish, it's one of the most widely spoken in the world. English comes 6th, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Aprende español. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    German is the most widely spoken in Europe.
    French is in Africa and Spanish in South America

(I think that's right anyway)

So for one using our alphabet one of those would be great. Or Mandarin/Russian/Japanese for a different alphabet

I vote German though. It's amazing

ReputationRep:
    Any country that you're particularly interested in in terms of it's culture or whatever? If there is, go for that one. In my opinion, that's a far better idea than picking a language because you think it will be 'useful'.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.