The Student Room Group

A level options

Hey i have just started sixth form and im doin bio psychology geography and english lit. Im considering switching psychology (as it's a useless degree option) for chemistry.
I dont particulary love chem but i got an 8 at gcses.
Shall i make the switch???
Hey, I'd suggest changing if you're already thinking about a specific university course which chemistry would be a better option for. Personally, I'd say Psychology A level is only worth doing if you planning to do a course at uni which would benefit from having done it at A level. As Chemistry is a hard science some universities will prefer it over subjects like Psychology. However, Chemistry most likely will be a tougher A level, since you got an 8 at GCSE I think you'd be fine to take it, my school/sixth form didn't allow anyone who got under a 7 to take one of the three sciences at A level.
Reply 2
does your school allow 5 alevels? u could take chem temporarily and drop it or psychology (or both) once youve got a taste of both subjects
Reply 3
Original post by iwannagosleeep
Hey i have just started sixth form and im doin bio psychology geography and english lit. Im considering switching psychology (as it's a useless degree option) for chemistry.

I’d only do chemistry if u enjoy the subject and find it interesting. Just because it’s hard and if u don’t enjoy it, it’s gonna be unbearable

What are you wanting to do after a-levels?
Psychology is still a decent subject. You don't have to go round doing it at degree level or anything.
If you don't enjoy a subject then I'd think twice about taking it.
Original post by catss
does your school allow 5 alevels? u could take chem temporarily and drop it or psychology (or both) once youve got a taste of both subjects

nah they dont allow for 5 alevels to be taken
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you wanting to do after a-levels?
Psychology is still a decent subject. You don't have to go round doing it at degree level or anything.
If you don't enjoy a subject then I'd think twice about taking it.

idk yet which is why my alevel options are quite broad. But i do think bio and chem opens more doors then psychology
Doing bio,chem, English and geography will probably be too much pressure don't you think? I'd say, if you're planning to go down a scientific route like medicine, biomed, dentistry take Biology, chemistry and one of English/geog/psychology. If you just want to keep your options open, English will mean you're able to do a humanity subject because you have the essay writing skills that are needed like Law or Intl relations.

Depends on your degree options even if you're not entirely sure, eliminate any degree you know you won't be applying for. Helps you decide
Original post by Cant.be.asked
Doing bio,chem, English and geography will probably be too much pressure don't you think? I'd say, if you're planning to go down a scientific route like medicine, biomed, dentistry take Biology, chemistry and one of English/geog/psychology. If you just want to keep your options open, English will mean you're able to do a humanity subject because you have the essay writing skills that are needed like Law or Intl relations.

Depends on your degree options even if you're not entirely sure, eliminate any degree you know you won't be applying for. Helps you decide

yeah i would like to keep my options open and im stuck on dropping either geography or english lit
yeah i would like to keep my options open and im stuck on dropping either geography or english lit

I would say if you're not sure excatly what you want to do, choose chemistry in case you want to go down the science route.
It wouldn't matter too much for the rest and I can't rly help with the other subjects as I don't do them but apparently geog is quite easy according to some of my friends. I know a lot of ppl doing psychology who find it quite hard but it links with bio well. Choose 4 at first then decide after exams and more lessons and see what you prefer x

Quick Reply

Latest