The Student Room Group

How is Dr Jekyll presented as isolated and confused

How does Stevenson present Dr Jekyll as isolated and confused throughout the novel, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?
Reply 1
Jekyll is a nice and renowned English doctor who has suppressed dark emotions inside him. In an attempt to conceal this, he creates a drug that he believes can effectively disguise his dark side. Instead, Jekyll changes into Edward Hyde, the physical and mental expression of his wicked self.
Reply 2
Hi Weepingsandwhich (!)

If that's the exact wording of the question you've been given, you need to be looking at - amongst other things - language. Track the words that Stevenson uses that connote isolation and separation. Aim for something similar with notions of confusion - though I'd be careful with that concept. How is Dr Jekyll 'confused'? Lost, yes.

Starting-point : given that this is a novella, rather than a full-length novel, be aware that Stevenson works quite quickly to portray this key character. Trace the journey that Dr Jekyll makes from start to end. How is he depicted at the start? How does that compare with his final isolation? What has happened in order to effect the change? Consider his inquisitiveness. Bear in mind the context of the novella, and Dr Jekyll's profession. The evolving nature of medicine, a world of which he is a part, suggests he is curious, and keen to 'do no harm'. After all, the goal of his job is to make people better. Ironic, really, since he destroys himself. Does he consciously seek to find his 'Mr Hyde'? What is it that makes him choose to impose isolation on himself?

Furthermore, Stevenson presents to us someone who - at a time when the field of psychology was also evolving - develops a fatal interest in the duality of human nature. Man's propensity for good and evil appears to be inborn, and Dr Jekyll has access to the means of releasing what lies beneath. It's interesting to note that Mr Hyde, otherwise suppressed, brings evil not good. How true is that of mankind generally, do you think?

Apologies for the ramble! I could go on, but I won't. Get back to me if you want any more guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending