Unfashionable authors Watch

Dann
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello English geeks. I am reading some of Hazlitt's essays, and it got me thinking; which other authors are there out there who are a bit unfashionable at the moment, who deserve a bit more celebration? Do you have any favourites, and why? Looking predominantly for canonical writers, rather than obscure Micronesian haiku poets and the like, but feel free to add anyone matching that description as well I guess.
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Zweig? At least, he is rather highly accalimed outside England, but little read within it.
willenium
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm reading knut hamsen at the moment and he probably deserves a bit more recognition despite being a nazi sympathiser
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Andersen - anything other than his fairytales. He actually wrote quite a lot of other stuff, and some of it is really good.
willenium
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf.T)
jane austen... shes such a long winded slut crack whore

im positive her editor killed her, ***** made her books WAAAAY too long.
i think you missed the point of this thread. what an awful post.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
jane austen... shes such a long winded slut crack whore

im positive her editor killed her, ***** made her books WAAAAY too long.
I think you may have slightly missed the point of this thread...
Anyway, if you think Austen novels are waaaay too long, you've clearly never read a seriously long-winded novel. Try Richardson - it'll make Austen seem fast-paced in comparison.
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Philip Roth. It is not fashionable to write books delineating your own geriatric fantasies with regards hot female grad students over the course of 400 pages.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
I think you may have slightly missed the point of this thread...
Anyway, if you think Austen novels are waaaay too long, you've clearly never read a seriously long-winded novel. Try Richardson - it'll make Austen seem fast-paced in comparison.
Personally, I find that reading Henry James really throws the phenomenon of 'subjective time' into stark relief.
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mervyn Peake, though he's never been fashionable. Some of his paintings are really good as well. And his poetry about flying pears is the earliest memory I have:

Spoiler:
Show

O here it is! And there it is!
And no one knows whose share it is
Nor dares to stake a claim -
But we have seen it in the air
A fairy like a William Pear -
With but itself to blame.

A Thug it is - and smug it is
And like a floating pug it is
Above the orchard trees
It has no right - no right at all
To soar above the orchard wall
With chilblains on its knees.

Andersen - anything other than his fairytales. He actually wrote quite a lot of other stuff, and some of it is really good.
You and your Anderson-fairy-tale hate :p: I found a bookshop yesterday that had a really nice copy of the fairy tales. I thought, "Essay done, why not treat myself in celebration"? It was £3,500. So I bought a capuccino instead.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Personally, I find that reading Henry James really throws the phenomenon of 'subjective time' into stark relief.
Really? I quite like James, actually - but then again I like Richardson novels as well. It does take quite a while to adapt to the slow pace of some writers, but in my opinion it can be worth the effort (at least it is with those two).
willenium
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rottcodd)
Mervyn Peake
yes.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You and your Anderson-fairy-tale hate :p: I found a bookshop yesterday that had a really nice copy of the fairy tales. I thought, "Essay done, why not treat myself in celebration"? It was £3,500. So I bought a capuccino instead.
I don't hate the fairytales, I just think his other works are being neglected over them.

And that pear poem is brilliant.
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i didnt miss the point of the thread, i just felt this was the best place to express my hatred for that crack whore austen

i had to read TWO of her books.. NEVER AGAIN.
She wasn't no crack whore yo, crack han't even been synthesised back then, cracker! She was an opium ho y'all, puttin her white lil' ass about justa get her hands on some o dat fine ass Chinese brown ****, playa.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mervyn Peake, though he's never been fashionable. Some of his paintings are really good as well.
Gormenghast is magnificent.
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Gormenghast is magnificent.
Tis. Have you read Boy in Darkness? It's a mini-Gormenghast story. Scary stuff.
Kater Murr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Robert Louis Stevenson, without a doubt. Not just for kids. On Knut Hamsun, I agree that he's not so well-known here, but in Norway, he's like their Shakespeare.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kater Murr)
Robert Louis Stevenson, without a doubt. Not just for kids. On Knut Hamsun, I agree that he's not so well-known here, but in Norway, he's like their Shakespeare.
I think that would be Ibsen.
Kater Murr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think that would be Ibsen.
Their... Dickens, then. :p:
bysshe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yesss, Mervyn Peake. I don't know who else counts as fashionable or unfashionable...

i didnt miss the point of the thread, i just felt this was the best place to express my hatred for that crack whore austen

i had to read TWO of her books.. NEVER AGAIN.
Why this thread? Why not the "Top 10 Worst Books" thread on the Literature sub-forum?

And TWO of her books, you say? Oh dear, how terrible for you.
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Jack Kerouac, I never hear him mentioned much in greatest authors lists but I love him. 'On the road' always makes me want to just pack up and go travelling.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?