Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    in my school... virginia woolf... we had to study 'to the lighthouse' a year ago... since then everyone has resondly hated her, they frequently just sit *****ing about the book...whilst in i sit away in the corner reading 'the waves' ....ah i love her books to much....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    Jack Kerouac, I never hear him mentioned much in greatest authors lists but I love him. 'On the road' always makes me want to just pack up and go travelling.
    Well, precisely, he isn't a great author, just damn fashionable, the cad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyet)
    Philip Roth. It is not fashionable to write books delineating your own geriatric fantasies with regards hot female grad students over the course of 400 pages.
    Why are you banned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    Mervyn Peake
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    A peculiarly pandemic proliferation of Peake philia, a public panegyrical praising, how pleasantly pleasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    A peculiarly pandemic proliferation of Peake philia, a public panegyrical praising, how pleasantly pleasing.
    Purple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Bachtopus)
    Purple.
    Participating in the philavery? I point my pollex planet-ward.

ReputationRep:
    He's not unfashionable but I think he is probably under read: W.G. Sebald.

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought Nabokov was quite unfashionable due to his political views.

Can't wait til next year for his final book to finally be published!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Gormenghast is magnificent.
    ah. Yes. I absolutely love Gormenghast. I read it years ago and recently rediscovered it deep in the back of the bookshelves. I haven't read 'Titus alone' though, I intend to remedy this soon.

ReputationRep:
    I think 'unfashionable' writers are those which are not necessarily unread, but just disliked or treated with a degree of indifference or apathy.

I don't understand why people seem to treat the Augustan poets with such disdain.

I love Gray :shifty:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by eliotkid)
    I think 'unfashionable' writers are those which are not necessarily unread, but just disliked or treated with a degree of indifference or apathy.

I don't understand why people seem to treat the Augustan poets with such disdain.

I love Gray :shifty:
    Hmm, do they actually disdain them? I always thought they just didn't read them...

ReputationRep:
    don't know if you could really call him unfashionable, since he just won the nobel prize for literature, but I've started reading J.M.G Le Clezio's first novel and loads of his short stories and they're all top-notch. He seems to have been a bit ignored in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hmm, do they actually disdain them? I always thought they just didn't read them...
    Quite alot of my friends dislike Pope for some reason.

Which is a shame. :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Quite alot of my friends dislike Pope for some reason.

Which is a shame. :rolleyes:
    That's weird. If anything I'd have thought Pope would be one of the most popular writers of that period: clever, witty, full of memorable (and quotable) aphorisms, not particularly hard to read - what more can they want?:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    That's weird. If anything I'd have thought Pope would be one of the most popular writers of that period: clever, witty, full of memorable (and quotable) aphorisms, not particularly hard to read - what more can they want?:dontknow:
    And the heroic couplet! I know, it's confusing.

But alot of his 'wit' is derived from the expense of others, I've always thought. Little man syndrome at it's best. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    And the heroic couplet! I know, it's confusing.

But alot of his 'wit' is derived from the expense of others, I've always thought. Little man syndrome at it's best. :p:
    Well, obviously. But I still rather like him.

ReputationRep:
    Well, obviously. But I still rather like him.
    Me too :cool:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind only reaffirmed my attitude towards him.

ReputationRep:
    I'll go with Mervyn Peake, too. And Gene Wolfe - he's quite fashionable within the SF/Fantasy community, but his books still don't sell as well as they should; and outside SF he's hardly known.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think a lot of contemporary writing is looked upon as being 'unfashionable', or of little literary worth, when considering English courses. I've just read House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski (2000), and think it's one of the best novels I've ever read.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.