The Student Room Group

illustration and animation degree course

So I love illustration and am currently studying A Level fine art
Would love to go to university next year and do a degree that combines both illustration and animation.
Ideally in the south east, east or south of uk. Any recommendations please of universities or courses?
Thank you
(edited 1 year ago)
Anglia Ruskin?
Original post by turnerhouse31
Would love to go to university next year and do a degree that combines both illustration and animation.
Ideally in the south east, east or south of uk. Any recommendations please of universities or courses?
Thank you

Hi
Here at Arts University Plymouth, I'm advised that our BA (Hons) Illustration course includes an animation focused module, so animated outcomes are perfectly acceptable if that's what you want to pursue. There is scope for further animation training on our "Workshop Wednesdays" various workshops covering a multitude of subjects that are open to all. Although animation and Illustration are treated separately in terms of their course titles, it looks like there is scope for crossover. I have attached a link for all our courses.
https://www.aup.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate

Good luck

Chris Stone - Painting, Drawing, Printmaking Student/ Student Ambassador
Thank you

Hi @turnerhouse31
We're really lucky to be based in Cambridge (which is in the East of England) and it's such a great location from many perspectives:

There's lots to see and do - museums, galleries, small art collectives, big employers

Cambridge station gets you quickly connected to London Kings Cross in 50 minutes

The city is really easy to get around, most people walk or cycle absolutely everywhere

The Ruskin Gallery is our very own gallery, it's a unique exhibition space, open year-round to both visiting artists and students to display their work. It also hosts public events from time to time.

Cambridge School of Art would be the school you're under at ARU and it has many degrees - Illustration and Animation being one of them. The course page has the 2022 showreel on it so you can see the kind of stuff our students are creating.

There's a lot of award winners in the Cambridge School of Art so you know you're in good hands to help get you places

The school isn't really big, it's quite an intimate space and a lot of students really recommend the level of small groups and 1-2-1 support they get.

Those are just our highlights but I am more than happy to help you with any questions you have. We do have an Open Day on Saturday 1 October and Saturday 5 November if you'd like to come and see the facilities and meet the people for yourself :smile:

Hopefully speak to you soon!

Megan
Original post by ARUOfficial
Hi @turnerhouse31
We're really lucky to be based in Cambridge (which is in the East of England) and it's such a great location from many perspectives:

There's lots to see and do - museums, galleries, small art collectives, big employers

Cambridge station gets you quickly connected to London Kings Cross in 50 minutes

The city is really easy to get around, most people walk or cycle absolutely everywhere

The Ruskin Gallery is our very own gallery, it's a unique exhibition space, open year-round to both visiting artists and students to display their work. It also hosts public events from time to time.

Cambridge School of Art would be the school you're under at ARU and it has many degrees - Illustration and Animation being one of them. The course page has the 2022 showreel on it so you can see the kind of stuff our students are creating.

There's a lot of award winners in the Cambridge School of Art so you know you're in good hands to help get you places

The school isn't really big, it's quite an intimate space and a lot of students really recommend the level of small groups and 1-2-1 support they get.

Those are just our highlights but I am more than happy to help you with any questions you have. We do have an Open Day on Saturday 1 October and Saturday 5 November if you'd like to come and see the facilities and meet the people for yourself :smile:

Hopefully speak to you soon!

Megan

Thank you Megan
Unless they're really traditional most undergrad Illustration courses will features animation projects these days. Then it's up to use animation as a medium if you choose as you progress through the course. So don't be restricted to 'animation and illustration' degrees.

If you do want an greater emphasis on animation, Kingston is worth a shout.
Original post by insidedesigner
Unless they're really traditional most undergrad Illustration courses will features animation projects these days. Then it's up to use animation as a medium if you choose as you progress through the course. So don't be restricted to 'animation and illustration' degrees.

If you do want an greater emphasis on animation, Kingston is worth a shout.

Thank you ☺️
Thank you

Hi @turnerhouse31!

If you're looking for a course that combines animation and illustration, I would like to recommend Escape Studio's BA (HONS)/MART The Art Of Computer Animation (2D) course as something that might interest you. Not only are the courses really great for teaching you the practical skills you'll need to animate and draw at a professional level, but it also emulates the experience of working in the industry through group projects, simulated client meetings and "dailies" where work-in-progress is reviewed and feedback is given by tutors.

The first year is dedicated to learning about the fundamentals of art and animation such as Cinematography, Movement, Narrative and the Art Foundation module (my personal favourite in the first year) which teaches you key illustration ideas such as lighting, colour theory, and composition.

Hopefully this helps! If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them. Good luck with your studies! :biggrin:
Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest