The Student Room Group

How to choose a sixth form/college?

Hi all,

I’ve just started year 11 and a question I’ve been asked by peers all week is “Are you staying on for sixth form?”. I’m wondering what factors I should consider when choosing a sixth form. I’ve created a short list and they’re all great schools but I’m unsure what aspects are the most important. If any current sixth formers have an opinion on this then please share!

The subjects I’d want to study are Maths, F. Maths, Physics and either Comp Sci or Latin (depending on whether the college offers Comp Sci)
let me just tell you now, college and 6th form are VERY different. but at the end of the day its up to you.
imo, 6th form definitely help more +there is more support. specific colleges (to sure if this applies to you but in my area) expect you to be an adult and help is very limited. staying at a 6th form where u go to now would be good +bad
positives: you know some people, know the teachers, know the school very well, majority of 6th forms provide more support
negatives: you might want a bit of a change?

college: there is a huge difference in the two.
college is great don't get me wrong: much more freedom as I know certain 6th forms don't let you out when you have frees , majority of colleges let you out. but support is limited..

hope this helped :smile:
for the subjects you are wishing to study, sixth form sounds like the better option as, like the above person said, generally there is more support for you so you are less likely to fall behind and get stressed. obviously there are other factors like is the sixth form close to your home, as a long travel time to and from school is inconvenient. it depends on what your priorities are also
Original post by ruks12345
let me just tell you now, college and 6th form are VERY different. but at the end of the day its up to you.
imo, 6th form definitely help more +there is more support. specific colleges (to sure if this applies to you but in my area) expect you to be an adult and help is very limited. staying at a 6th form where u go to now would be good +bad
positives: you know some people, know the teachers, know the school very well, majority of 6th forms provide more support
negatives: you might want a bit of a change?

college: there is a huge difference in the two.
college is great don't get me wrong: much more freedom as I know certain 6th forms don't let you out when you have frees , majority of colleges let you out. but support is limited..

hope this helped :smile:

Original post by apples781
for the subjects you are wishing to study, sixth form sounds like the better option as, like the above person said, generally there is more support for you so you are less likely to fall behind and get stressed. obviously there are other factors like is the sixth form close to your home, as a long travel time to and from school is inconvenient. it depends on what your priorities are also

Thanks both for your reply. Out of my shortlist of schools, 2 are sixth forms. One is my current school and the other is a selective school slightly further away but still within a manageable distance. I understand what you say about sixth forms being more supportive but honestly, if I were to move, I'd rather move to a college because I think that everyone would start on an even playing field. I've heard people say that with sixth forms the teachers favour the ones who they've known from before but with colleges they can't do that because everyone is new. I would happily stay at my current school but they do not offer and oxbridge programme - which is something I'm really keen on. And also I think a college might be a good bridge between secondary school and university?
you should also think about whether doing comp sci is something you are willing to sacrifice. it is very early on in the year and a lot of things will change within the year so your circumstances might be different by august. do not have your heart set on this selective school or college because a lot of things can change and you are not guaranteed a place anywhere. whilst your sixth form might not offer an oxbridge program, that does not necessarily stop you from applying there as there are also programmes outside of school which focus on oxbridge applications. whilst it is good that you are thinking about this now, lots and lots of things can change your situation, so it is best to keep an open mind. just apply to as many schools as you want/can, so your options are kept open, just incase you find yourself in a different position on results day.
Also i do not find that teachers favour any internal students, as there will be many new people i find that the teachers have tried to be as inclusive as possible.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending