The Student Room Group

Cambridge Colleges for Law BA

Hello! I am looking to apply to read the Law BA at Cambridge commencing in 2023. I am currently trying to decide between colleges at the moment, mostly looking at the standard of accommodation and facilities as well as the societies available for Law. I know Downing is considered one of the best for Law, but would anybody be able to recommend other Colleges with a high academic standard for Law?

I am also fully aware Cambridge recommends against applying to Colleges based on prior admissions statistics. But, would it not be more strategic to apply to a College who receives 60 applications rather than to one who receives 150 for Law? Sorry if this is a daft question, I'm trying to wrap my head around the College system as an international student :smile:

Thanks for the help in advance!
Most of your teaching will be centralised bar your supervision sessions, which are held by the Law subject tutors of your residential college. I'd have a browse of all the colleges and choose the college you want to be spending your next 3 years rather than going for XYZ college since it is the best at law. If you are keen about going to the top college for law, check the biographies and the concentrations of the law tutors of each college, then apply to the college with the tutors you like. IMHO, your academic experience at Cambridge will not be hindered by any means if you ended at up at Christ's rather than Downing (just an example).

Also, I would steer clear of all the "numbers game" - the whole statistical analysis of trying to get into Oxbridge "the most strategic way." If you're a solid candidate, this should not be a worry. I've heard this strategy being discussed every year when it comes to Oxbridge applications. I advise this out of personal observation. Last year, an acquaintance attempted this "numbers game" for Cambridge and thought he applied to the least competitive college after all of his statistical analysis (he admitted spending hours and hours on this) but ended up getting rejected. Funnily, another chap who was probably not as bright as the aforementioned acquaintance gave his best shot and went for a very distinguished college that he liked and was accepted.

Moral of the story, just focus all your energy in preparing for the academics not the statistics. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Godwinson
Most of your teaching will be centralised bar your supervision sessions, which are held by the Law subject tutors of your residential college. I'd have a browse of all the colleges and choose the college you want to be spending your next 3 years rather than going for XYZ college since it is the best at law. If you are keen about going to the top college for law, check the biographies and the concentrations of the law tutors of each college, then apply to the college with the tutors you like. IMHO, your academic experience at Cambridge will not be hindered by any means if you ended at up at Christ's rather than Downing (just an example).

Also, I would steer clear of all the "numbers game" - the whole statistical analysis of trying to get into Oxbridge "the most strategic way." If you're a solid candidate, this should not be a worry. I've heard this strategy being discussed every year when it comes to Oxbridge applications. I advise this out of personal observation. Last year, an acquaintance attempted this "numbers game" for Cambridge and thought he applied to the least competitive college after all of his statistical analysis (he admitted spending hours and hours on this) but ended up getting rejected. Funnily, another chap who was probably not as bright as the aforementioned acquaintance gave his best shot and went for a very distinguished college that he liked and was accepted.

Moral of the story, just focus all your energy in preparing for the academics not the statistics. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it loads! :smile:
Original post by lawstudcam
Hello! I am looking to apply to read the Law BA at Cambridge commencing in 2023. I am currently trying to decide between colleges at the moment, mostly looking at the standard of accommodation and facilities as well as the societies available for Law. I know Downing is considered one of the best for Law, but would anybody be able to recommend other Colleges with a high academic standard for Law?

I am also fully aware Cambridge recommends against applying to Colleges based on prior admissions statistics. But, would it not be more strategic to apply to a College who receives 60 applications rather than to one who receives 150 for Law? Sorry if this is a daft question, I'm trying to wrap my head around the College system as an international student :smile:

Thanks for the help in advance!

Heya!
Deciding on the right college for you is tough! I would recommend checking out this free Oxbridge comparison tool that goes over all the colleges in detail :h: If you tick multiple of them then they'll show next to each other so that you can compare them easier.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind

Quick Reply