Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should i learn to read and write chinese next year? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liliahh)
    :rolleyes: I hope you do know that traditional chinese is still being used in the current generation in HongKong and TaiWan

To OP, one of the tricky thing I heard about Traditional Chinese is that those who learnt it cannot read the official Chinese in which I mean by the Simplified Chinese used in other provinces, however if you learn the simplified version you will be able to read Traditional Chinese. Not sure if thats true tho:p:
    oh, god
    U R too silly, what you meant is the characters, simplified and traditional Chinese Characters. I can write Chinese in both ways, that's too easy.
    All traditional characters can be read...
    What i meant is language, traditional Chinese language, like european latin, the Chinese language which was used in ancient times, when i study in high school, i've written many articles in ancient Chinese language, i was a literature guy then, now i've got no interested in doing so, 'coz i've grown up, i'm too busy.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: I hope you do know that traditional chinese is still being used in the current generation in HongKong and TaiWan

To OP, one of the tricky thing I heard about Traditional Chinese is that those who learnt it cannot read the official Chinese in which I mean by the Simplified Chinese used in other provinces, however if you learn the simplified version you will be able to read Traditional Chinese. Not sure if thats true tho:p:
    I'm sry to discribe you as silly, but i can bear the ignorance on Chinese language. China is the country of poem, its language is unique in the world, most beautiful.
    Chinese is a littel bit difficult, Ancient Chinese Language, Modern Chinese Language, Traditional and Simplified Chinese Characters, ect.
    God, i can't help reading or reciting the ancient poems everyday.
    Our ancestor are so great. I don't know what british people were doing then....

ReputationRep:
    Same here. My relatives on my fathers side all speak cantonese so I have no idea what they're saying (although most of the younger ones/ones in business speak english, just not a high level)

Been wanting to learn it but it's going to take a long time haha.

My mum (english) learnt cantonese when she was working in a chinese takeaway believe it or not. Took her 3 years, but just being around the language makes you learn it faster. Go live in HK for a while :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WOWOW)
    oh, god
    U R too silly, what you meant is the characters, simplified and traditional Chinese Characters. I can write Chinese in both ways, that's too easy.
    All traditional characters can be read...
    What i meant is language, traditional Chinese language, like european latin, the Chinese language which was used in ancient times, when i study in high school, i've written many articles in ancient Chinese language, i was a literature guy then, now i've got no interested in doing so, 'coz i've grown up, i'm too busy.
    I'm sorry if I took the meaning of ''Traditional Chinese'' wrong, as I thought Traditional Chinese is the opposite to Simplified Chinese in term of Characters.

and since OP's parent may come from HK or other provinces where people speak Cantonese and use Traditional Chinese Characters. I thought OP meant the characters not the style of writing when he said Traditional Chinese, and also I couldnt see the point of someone learning poems before he can even read~

If I'm wrong, I apologise. Nice profile bio tho.

ReputationRep:
    Gogogo! It's never too late, and knowing how to write and read in Chinese is brilliant : )

Altho I did start when I was about 8, but its not that hard to pick up

Now i'm getting hang of Japanese characters ._.

Good luck OP!

And Chinese Schools are alright/quite good, but if you start going now, you would be with the little kids? lols

ReputationRep:
    i know....>_<

what schools cater for adults that it not a 10 weeks course though?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if I took the meaning of ''Traditional Chinese'' wrong, as I thought Traditional Chinese is the opposite to Simplified Chinese in term of Characters.

and since OP's parent may come from HK or other provinces where people speak Cantonese and use Traditional Chinese Characters. I thought OP meant the characters not the style of writing when he said Traditional Chinese, and also I couldnt see the point of someone learning poems before he can even read~

If I'm wrong, I apologise. Nice profile bio tho.
    I should apologise, i used some not good word...
    R U Chinese? It seems that you know much about Chinese language.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a Chinese School in Portsmouth, theres many of them around actually I think, and you attend in classes, its not like a 10/20/30week course, it was like you do one year then exam then progress to next year thing, I finished my Alevel in Chinese last year, which I externally took the exam at my Sixth form..
    but I don't think you'll have time to be doing that tho, it was a Sunday 2 hr session weekly for me then.

ReputationRep:
    I should apologise, i used some not good word...
    R U Chinese? It seems that you know much about Chinese language.
    So just because you are addressing someone who maybe chiinese, you are sorry ? I want to say more, but I think I will just leave it there.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocpaul20)
    So just because you are addressing someone who maybe chiinese, you are sorry ? I want to say more, but I think I will just leave it there.
    :shifty: Excuse me, do you have any problem with Chinese people?

OR are you not English in the first place so you cant tell the difference between someone says:

Are you Chinese? I'm sorry then
    and
    I'm sorry. R U Chinese? It seems that you know much about Chinese language.

WOWOW certainly was just suprised at how much I know about the Chinese Language. His apology clearly has nothing to do with my nationality, and he was just curious

and, to WOWOW's question, I'm from MARS.

ReputationRep:
    anyways, does anyone know/recommend any good schools to check out in london?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astudentinneed)
    i can understand most of what my parents say in cantonese....but yeah apart from that i've got next to no advantage to other people
    Don't know about schools, sorry, but wanted to say I think there is a definite advantage in understanding your parents speak in it all the time, even if you're not paying particular attention to how they do it. You might find basic grammar seems natural to you and easier to build up from. At least that's what happened with me when I went to university Mandarin classes. The formal grammar training improved my Cantonese loads (still awful at Mandarin of course).

Anyway, I think you can become fluent if you take some classes then live in a Cantonese speaking area for a few months. People will notice you're from England but in Hong Kong they're used to that, don't give it a second thought. Now whilst in the UK try to hang out with a chinese friend/relative who doesn't mind being interrogated about vocab all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Its never to late...if you want to do it-go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Study everything! Don't look for one or two resources and expect to learn everything from them. When someone asks which book, CD, or computer program is best to learn from, I say, "All of them!" I learned something from every Chinese language-related book I've ever read. Read a lot and you'll learn a lot. I like the book "Rocket Chinese" by Lin Ping, which gives a nice overview of the language with lots of examples from real Mandarin.

Resources-
    Learn Chinese About.com
    Video Lessons Youtube.com
    Rocket Chinese Reviews Eexpert Opinion Feedback

Cheers James

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.