The Student Room Group

Does this A-level combination sound right for Law with Law Studies in Europe?

Hello, so I am in the process of deciding which A-levels I should take at the moment, with an aim of securing a place at the University of Oxford’s Law with Law Studies in Europe (specifically the “Law with German Law” option.) I have come up with a choice of four A-levels, however I have some queries about a few of them.

The ones I am considering choosing are:
-English Literature
-History
-German
-Law

I have not studied Law as a subject in the past, but I am very strong in English Literature, History, and German, achieving 9s in these. However, I have a few questions:

1.) I have heard that A-level Law can hinder your application. As such, I am to an extent worried that choosing this A-level will reduce my chances of getting a place. Is this true or not?
2.) Should I choose English Literature or Politics? Is there a specific one that is preferable to the other?
3.) I know I am supposed to choose “essay-writing subjects”, so are English Literature, History, and German the optimal choices I can make for aiming to secure a place on Law with German Law?

Any responses would be immensely helpful,
thank you.
Original post by julesetjim
Hello, so I am in the process of deciding which A-levels I should take at the moment, with an aim of securing a place at the University of Oxford’s Law with Law Studies in Europe (specifically the “Law with German Law” option.) I have come up with a choice of four A-levels, however I have some queries about a few of them.

The ones I am considering choosing are:
-English Literature
-History
-German
-Law

I have not studied Law as a subject in the past, but I am very strong in English Literature, History, and German, achieving 9s in these. However, I have a few questions:

1.) I have heard that A-level Law can hinder your application. As such, I am to an extent worried that choosing this A-level will reduce my chances of getting a place. Is this true or not?
2.) Should I choose English Literature or Politics? Is there a specific one that is preferable to the other?
3.) I know I am supposed to choose “essay-writing subjects”, so are English Literature, History, and German the optimal choices I can make for aiming to secure a place on Law with German Law?

Any responses would be immensely helpful,
thank you.

This is very over-written (just a tip for law) - you could remove about half the words and still keep the same meaning. In answer:

1. No - this is very old-fashioned advice. Oxford is neutral on law as an A level.
2. Whichever will get you the better grade. There are no specific subjects required for law - sometimes an essay-based subject can help, but equally people get places having done three sciences/maths.
3. ibid.

Also, do not do four A levels - it confers no advantage to your application and risks your getting the three excellent grades you actually need to be a competitive candidate, sc. A*A*A or higher. In other words, A*A*A*>>A*AAA or even A*A*AA. Pick the three that you're best at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending