The Student Room Group

how easy is it to get into law?

I've been planning on applying this year to do a history degree. However i ultimately want to go into law as i feel this is a career that would would suit me and that i would ultimately enjoy and i understand that to do this a conversion course is required at the end of the completed history degree. What i would really like to know is how easy it is to get a placement in a law firm afterwards. There are just a few questions i really need answering right now as i am panicing that i may be making a wrong descision in taking history although it is the course that i feel most passionate about.

First of all, do i have more chance of being successful through this route than going through a law degree or doesn't it make much of a difference?
I understand that getting involved with a firm after the conversion course is very competitive, so what are the chances of being succesful?
Is there anything i can do now to give myself a better chance of succeding in becoming a lawyer?
Thanks for any help anyone could give me.
The top London law firms mostly seem to imply that they take roughly equal numbers of law and non-law graduates for their training schemes, and for the most part say that they aren't bothered which you have.
As to how likely you are to be successful, it will depend upon the size of firm you're interested in going into. If you're looking at the magic circle, or even the moderate sized London firms, they'll be horrifically competitive. But there are a lot of firms out there, so if you have good marks and an aptitude for law, you should be able to find a training scheme.
In terms of what you can do now - just concentrate on working hard on your degree, getting a good result, and getting involved with stuff at uni that will give you transferable skills - debating, leadership positions on committees etc. Every law firm I've seen says they want a 2:1 minimum, and many stress that they're looking for very high results, so making sure you put in enough work to get a good mark should be your priority.

Latest

Trending

Trending