Turn on thread page Beta

In Britain we use the word MUM ! ! ! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Seriously is anyone else getting annoyed by the americanised abuse of our lovely english language by some posters on this forum.

It is MUM and not MOM as so many of you foul mouthed fools are saying.

Why do you do it??????
    please explain !

ReputationRep:
    In Newcastle it's "mam".

ReputationRep:
    On TSR I wouldn'tbe surprised if 'Mother' is in use more... :p:

ReputationRep:
    This thread gains my approval.

In the West Midlands it's 'mom'. That's the way it's pronounced, that's the way it's spelt. 'Mum' is a slang term anyway. In parts of the North and in Ireland they say 'mam'. Stop trying to impose your misguided vernacular imperialism on other people. I'll say mom if I want to, all my friends say it, I was taught to say it at school, it is how it is spelt here. LEAVE MY MOMMY ALONE :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    "Mom" annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    It's mom.

ReputationRep:
    The correct term is "mummy."

ReputationRep:
    I call her Ami Ji.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only one out of my group of friends who says 'mum' and not 'mom'. I hate 'mom'! It even looks horrid and ugh, it sounds horrible! It's mum!

ReputationRep:
    ... Does it matter......... I accidently use Mom when I'm in a rush and not giving a crap about the english language

ReputationRep:
    I say mam.

ReputationRep:
    I call her "ay *****".

ReputationRep:
    This irritates me to no end. I dont mind people saying mum, mummy, mother, mam etc, because people are actually brought up to say these not just suddenly adopt an american term for a family member. I live in the west midlands for uni (notts) and nobody says mom so thats utter tosh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overground)
    In the West Midlands it's 'mom'. That's the way it's pronounced, that's the way it's spelt. 'Mum' is a slang term anyway. In parts of the North and in Ireland they say 'mam'. Stop trying to impose your misguided vernacular imperialism on other people. I'll say mom if I want to, all my friends say it, I was taught to say it at school, it is how it is spelt here. LEAVE MY MOMMY ALONE :hmmm:
    Dont know which wacky part of the west midlands your from... but im from the west midlands, and ive NEVER heard anyone use 'mom' (apart from you :p: )... everyone i know have used 'mum' :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWZC)
    On TSR I wouldn'tbe surprised if 'Mother' is in use more... :p:
    Hey, I use the word mother

ReputationRep:
    ya moms b?

o stfu.

ReputationRep:
    mum's the word

I say Mother Hubbard, Mum, Mummy - what ever to get my mum's attention tbh lol

(Original post by Overground)
    With you all the way, homie - It's mom for me also :cool:

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.