Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    What's that got to do with the price of fish?

Also, in my case (and Im a north-westener) it's Mum and Dad. I've never heard Mom used in the UK.
    Another "Americanism" that is apparently actually not one.

Before I came to uni and met loads of Northerners, I didn't realise they said pants for trousers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PygmyShrew)

Before I came to uni and met loads of Northerners, I didn't realise they said pants for trousers.
    I'm a northerner, I've only heard pants from American TV shows (for trousers).

ReputationRep:
    I say Mum, i hate Americanisms, but i'm guilty of using some. That one though, really irritates me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I'm a northerner, I've only heard pants from American TV shows (for trousers).
    Well, 2 people from Manchester, 1 person from Liverpool and 1 person from Preston that I know all say pants.

ReputationRep:
    why do people up north use "me" instead of my?

Me best friend scored a cracking goal??? it should be my best friend.....

ReputationRep:
    Its mam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Federer Rulz)
    why do people up north use "me" instead of my?

Me best friend scored a cracking goal??? it should be my best friend.....
    People in the North, as a general rule, can neither speak nor write properly.

ReputationRep:
    In the North, they say pants instead of trousers, too. Horrific!
    Pants ftw!

ReputationRep:
    mom is no where near as annoying as mam tbh... but i say mum so it's all good :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Same with people pronouncing or spelling words as if they were American. I hope you realise that it's spelt realise, not realize unless you're living in the United States of Stupidland.

ReputationRep:
    It's Mam yer berk.

ReputationRep:

Northerners don't say pants for trousers...someones lied to you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I say mama

ReputationRep:
    I say mam

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the midlands, it seems to be what we say up here, though my town likes to pretend its posh and cast off its vile midlandsy connections. However, formally, I do refer to her as "mum" to anyone like my teachers. Then again, my mom (:P) who's mother was Irish, was forced to say "mam".

I also refer to her, in a sarcastic posh voice, as "mother dearest", so y'know, I wins. Though to judge people on the use of how they refer to their mothers is a bit... ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeseinthedraw)
    Seriously is anyone else getting annoyed by the americanised abuse of our lovely english language by some posters on this forum.

It is MUM and not MOM as so many of you foul mouthed fools are saying.

Why do you do it??????
    please explain !
    Do you really have that much free time? Who gets angry at what someone calls their MOM.

ReputationRep:
    In Wales it's mam. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    My Ma is my Pa.

ReputationRep:
    I luv my mom.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't care what you wish to call your mother and neither should you care about what I wish to call mine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.