Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeseinthedraw)
    Seriously is anyone else getting annoyed by the americanised abuse of our lovely english language by some posters on this forum.

It is MUM and not MOM as so many of you foul mouthed fools are saying.

Why do you do it??????
    please explain !
    In south asia Mom is common instead of MUM, even though its wrong as per your saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Yeah. Same with people pronouncing or spelling words as if they were American. I hope you realise that it's spelt realise, not realize unless you're living in the United States of Stupidland.
    Or use a US spell checker, I just can't stop myself from auto correcting realise to realize.

My girlfriend finds it interesting that I call my mother 'mam' (I'm from Newcastle) but I call my father by his first name, and have done so for as long as I can remember. Not sure how unusual this is.

ReputationRep:
    why say mom? We're in the uk for ***** sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    why say mom? We're in the uk for ***** sake!
    "We?" I'm not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Day)
    "We?" I'm not
    I know but the majority are.

ReputationRep:
    So I get an exemption? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The word "mom" was probably in use in parts the UK before the USA, as we know it today, even existed. There are a lot of words that were invented by Americans, but I doubt this is one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    The word "mom" was probably in use in parts the UK before the USA, as we know it today, even existed. There are a lot of words that were invented by Americans, but I doubt this is one of them.
    As with all online sources, I leave it up to you to decide the veracity of the source, but here's all I could find.

ReputationRep:
    Mom's the word.
    End of discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Day)
    As with all online sources, I leave it up to you to decide the veracity of the source, but here's all I could find.
    It looks like Mum was in widespread usage before mom, but I'm not sure which side of the atlantic saw the introduction of mom first. I think the different accents may account for the different spellings. For example, you'll never seen the word "maths" in the US because -ths ending is extremely awkward and difficult for Americans to pronounce.

ReputationRep:
    I"m from Birmingham and we say "Mom". I actually call my mom by her first name because she has dementia and doesnt respond to "Mom" as she has forgotten she has kids.

ReputationRep:
    I am from the West Midlands and the majority of us say MOM here so yeah there you go

I dislike people who use the term "mummy" more. Especially when they're like 23. :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    I dislike people who use the term "mummy" more. Especially when they're like 23. :s:
    Especially when "mummy" reminds you of some disgusting, Egyptian thingies. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sofi-)
    Northerners don't say pants for trousers...someones lied to you :yep:
    Well every time they refer to what they wear on their bottom half, they have said pants. And they don't speak to eachother so it's not some weird consipiracy :p:

By trousers, I mean everything you wear on your bottom half. Jeans are trousers too. So not just the smart trousers.

Pants are underwear!

ReputationRep:
    'The Controller'.

ReputationRep:
    In Britain we generally only feel the need to use one exclamation mark.

ReputationRep:
    I use the word Mum (more often Mother now) but Mom seems like a more logical way of shortening it.

Mother -> Mommy -> Mom
    Mother -> Mummy -> Mum ... Wait, where'd that U come from?!

It's hardly one of the bad Americanisations.

ReputationRep:
    Ma Biatch

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.