The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance to get into decent law school?

So I have just received my AS grades during August, and let’s just say I did not do well and kinda screwed up (due to mental health issues). My results are:
- Maths: B (6 marks to A)
- Economics: C (I plan to drop it in A2 aka Year 13)
- History: B (1 mark away from an A)
- Physics: B

My university choices are:
- Cambridge
- UCL
- Durham
- KCL
- Bristol

I really wanna get into these universities but at the same time I need to be very realistic about my uni selection. Any advice?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
A level entry requirements for the universities you listed:

Cambridge requirements: A* AA
UCL requirements: A* AA
Durham: A* AA
KCL: A* AA
Bristol: A*A*B

If u work really hard, I’m sure you can achieve the scores you need, and I’m sure with the workload of economics off, you can put more effort into doing better in your a levels.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bwak
A level entry requirements for the universities you listed:

Cambridge requirements: A* AA
UCL requirements: A* AA
Durham: A* AA
KCL: A* AA
Bristol: A*A*B

If u work really hard, I’m sure you can achieve the scores you need, and I’m sure with the workload of economics off, you can put more effort into doing better in your a levels.

I have looked through the entry requirements for these universities. However, my major concern is if I could even be given a conditional offer from these universities based on my AS grades. I don't wanna end up not having any offers from either of these universities eventually.
Reply 3
Original post by jtee03
I have looked through the entry requirements for these universities. However, my major concern is if I could even be given a conditional offer from these universities based on my AS grades. I don't wanna end up not having any offers from either of these universities eventually.

It depends on what your predictions are. If you are predicted A*A,A, you will have a reasonable chance of being given an offer from some of them, although some might still reject you as law is very competitive, so meeting min requirements is often not enough. If your predictions are lower than that e.g. AAA, you would risk being automatically rejected by all of them, so should should apply to at least 2 or 3 with lower tariffs.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jtee03

What are your ppredictions? You need two with lower grades so you don't end up with no offers.
Reply 5
Original post by lalexm
It depends on what your predictions are. If you are predicted A*A,A, you will have a reasonable chance of being given an offer from some of them, although some might still reject you as law is very competitive, so meeting min requirements is often not enough. If your predictions are lower than that e.g. AAA, you would risk being automatically rejected by all of them, so should should apply to at least 2 or 3 with lower tariffs.

Original post by Muttley79
What are your ppredictions? You need two with lower grades so you don't end up with no offers.

My previous school wouldn't give me predicted grades, as they said that the AS grades are my predicted grades.
Original post by jtee03
My previous school wouldn't give me predicted grades, as they said that the AS grades are my predicted grades.

You will be rejected with those predictions - apply with achieved grades next year.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
You will be rejected with those predictions - apply with achieved grades next year.

Does that mean that I will have to take a gap year?
Original post by jtee03
Does that mean that I will have to take a gap year?

Yes I think so. Which country are you in? In England AS don't contribute to the final A level grade.

You say'old school' - what have your current school said about predictions?
Sadly then it’s either take a gap year & apply on actuals if you think you’ll achieve the grades by really digging in. Or lower your expectations now & apply to lower grade requirement courses.

I’ve been to a few open days now & nearly all say if you don’t have the minimum grades required, don’t apply. That’s not to say they won’t take less come results day.

I’ve a few friends applying to the likes of Cambridge with predicted AAA. I honestly can’t see how they’ll get a offer.
Think you need to be a little realistic. You’re applying to the most competitive law schools with pretty average/slightly below average grades. What did you get at GCSE? I didn’t apply directly for law but I know most (if not all) of those unis require LNAT too. You could probably play the mental health card in your application but I think that’s usually something the school does for you, so you’ll have to check.

Best suggestion is try to apply this year as practice but you’ll need to likely reapply with your actual grades (assuming you can get A/A*s). If you’re intent on going this year and unsure if you can get the grades, lower your choices significantly.
Reply 11
I don't want to sound harsh but no point in feeding you BS.

The choices you list are possibly too ambitious for your ability. When you submit your UCAS application the school will need to state your predicted grades to support your application.

Based on what you say you are going to be predicted 3X B as you are dropping economics that is 120 UCAS points. These are the Law Schools you would likely be accepted out based on 120 UCAS points: -
https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=law&score=0,120

Now it could be that if you work hard enough you actually secure results of AAB which is 136 UCAS points hence creates more options: -
https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=law&score=0,136

So, you have two choices as already outlined:-

1. Apply now with the predicted grades and be realistic with your university choices, The law schools available are still VERY good. If not happy with offers received and your grades come in much higher then see what is available, then via clearing

2. if 1 is not working out then defer it for a year and apply then based on actual results achieved.

As you were so close to the AAB grades you could speak to your school explain you are working hard and expect to secure at least AAB and would they support your predictions at AAB so you have more chance of a conditional offer based on 136 UCAS points.

They may agree to do that however, even so 136 is still way off the 152 UCAS points that every University in your exclusive list is requesting. So, you need to revisit your choices whichever way you cut it.

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending