Turn on thread page Beta

does my boyfriend take me for granted? watch

Do you think my boyfriend is taking advantage of me?:

- He will often say 'I'll call you tomorrow' but usualy forgets
    - He's usually a few minutes late for meeting me
    - He sometimes doesn't bother to buy condoms because he knows that he can be 'satisfied' in other ways, never mind what I want to do
    - He's reluctant to spend money on dates etc. He hasn't got a lot of money, but there again he does spend a lot of money on other things e.g. music
    - He never calls me his girlfriend or tells me that he likes/loves me
    - He will text me, and then take an hour to reply after I have replied
    - He never seems to want to meet me if he's going to be too tired to have sex in the evening

OK, now I write it all down it sounds really bad. He's a lovely guy. He's not doing these things because he's a horrible person, but I think he is just very self-centred and doesn't really think about other people. Also I think he subconsciously knows that I'm a bit of a pushover. We've only been going out two months so it shouldn't be this hard already. I really like him though, so what should I say/do?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds bad, because it is. How exactly is he lovely, seems to be missing all the targets to me.

ReputationRep:
    OKay he does sound bad but i guess you have concentrated on the things that annoy/are bad about him. I would talk to him and express how you are feeling at the end of the day if you cant speak to him about this sort of thing then there is no hope for the relationship anyway, communication is the key.

Do you think I should just confront him about this then?

Yeah it sounds bad because I've only written his bad points. He has many good points too, but there's no point in writing them here!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ, sorry but those aren't just bad points about him, they're also bad points about your relationship. A normal list of 'bad points about him' from someone who's been with their bloke for 2 months would read like, he's a bit disorganised and not very motivated, or whatever. That list you've just written is a recipe for a very unhappy and possibly abusive relationship. I'm sorry but it's going nowhere, he might seem like a lovely bloke but he's already treating you in a very cavalier fashion and it's not going to get better as he settles into being with you! At this point he should still be in the first flush of excitement and wanting to see and talk to you all the time, even if just to hold your hand. He definitely shouldn't be planning visits to you on the basis of whether he gets his end away, that is really, really bad. He sounds deeply manipulative to me and if you know yourself that you're a pushover, you should try and have some self respect and dump him because you CAN do better. Trust me, I have been there and seen it all with blokes like that and have been made very very miserable in the process. Damage done to your self esteem in that way is not easily repaired, take it from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah it sounds bad because I've only written his bad points. He has many good points too, but there's no point in writing them here!
    He might not be a bad person, but that's not the point. It's that he's really not good in a relationship. What exactly do you get out of this?

ReputationRep:
    "- He never calls me his girlfriend or tells me that he likes/loves me"

his not your boyfriend, his just a prick.

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't care about you. You should stop being so clingy and dump his ass.

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad that I don't think that's bad? :confused:

Oh dear.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.