Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shocking disabilities Watch

• View Poll Results: What's worse , being blind or deaf ?
    blind
    87.61%
    deaf
    12.39%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    I said blind, I think I'm slightly bias though, but yeah, blind.
    :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Blind, definitely. Being deaf has it's downsides but with technology today - hearing aids, cochlear implants etc you can still have a relatively reasonable quality of hearing. You can still hear music with special wires and that *Speaking from experience*

Also I feel quite offended that you think deafness/blindness are 'shocking' disabilities, when there are ones much worse than those IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Weeeeell, I'm legally blind and have a severe visual impairment. However, I'm pretty independent and bar driving and sport, I haven't found myself to be particularly disadvantaged. A disability is what you make of it really. Feel sorry for yourself and you'll get nowhere. Accept life as it is and make the most of it and you will.

That said, I think being *fully* blind would be way worse than being deaf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_P)
    :p:
    Lol what? Just reading that back I guess it makes me sound like I am blind. xD oops.

I'd rather be deaf.

ReputationRep:
    Much worse to be blind. I love language and talking and music, but I don't think it's as valuable to me as my sight. I would feel more lost without vision.

ReputationRep:
    Easy... i rather be blind then i can listen to music, and i can also use a sat nav to tell me where to go! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Weeeeell, I'm legally blind and have a severe visual impairment. However, I'm pretty independent and bar driving and sport, I haven't found myself to be particularly disadvantaged. A disability is what you make of it really. Feel sorry for yourself and you'll get nowhere. Accept life as it is and make the most of it and you will.

That said, I think being *fully* blind would be way worse than being deaf.
    How do you use a the internet? Do you have one of those speaking computers? Or is it just your sight falls away incredibly rapidly with distance?

Excellent attitude though.I know quite a few disabled people (some IRL, some on the internet) and it's amazing what people can achieve even with major disabilities.

ReputationRep:
    From birth, I think being blind might be a bit easier than being deaf. I mean, you can learn to speak if you are blind. If you are completely deaf then communication would be more of an issue. But not even knowing what your parents look like and simple things like that would be horrible

ReputationRep:
    Rather be deaf. or death.

ReputationRep:
    I think being blind would be harder to live with tbh. I'm deaf (mild) now and I hate it but I still think it would be alot harder to live without sight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gourdman)
    How do you use a the internet? Do you have one of those speaking computers? Or is it just your sight falls away incredibly rapidly with distance?

Excellent attitude though.I know quite a few disabled people (some IRL, some on the internet) and it's amazing what people can achieve even with major disabilities.
    nah, I'm more partially sighted than blind hehe. I just have a slightly larger monitor and wear thick glasses. Used to get the mick taken out of me on account of the latter and it used to get me down - now I just tell people where to shove their opinions!

Yep, it's all about the attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely blind. I could not cope with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    nah, I'm more partially sighted than blind hehe. I just have a slightly larger monitor and wear thick glasses. Used to get the mick taken out of me on account of the latter and it used to get me down - now I just tell people where to shove their opinions!

Yep, it's all about the attitude.
    So even with the glasses you can't see to drive? That's a bit of a bummer.
    Still better than complete blindness, seems more akin to just being so sort sighted they cant make glasses in your prescription.

And the kind of person who's scum enough to mock glasses is gonna mock you regardless. Mega-thick glasses just means they don't need to try to hard to find something. God I hate ***** like that. At least being female you didn't have to endure the taunts of Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    Lol what? Just reading that back I guess it makes me sound like I am blind. xD oops.
    I was looking at what you are intending to study .

ReputationRep:
    Blind. Music is good, but I value my sight much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_P)
    I was looking at what you are intending to study .
    Oh good, at least I don't look like a fool now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gourdman)
    At least being female you didn't have to endure the taunts of Harry Potter.
    I'm female and have had taunts like that.

As for the original question - unsure, tbh. Am already partially sighted anmd possibly have problems with my ears.

You can now buy software which magnifies things on the screen and talks. Personally, I use a large monitor and a piece of software to change the background colour.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.