The Student Room Group

Skincare routine

I am an 18 year old man. I have acne-prone skin. I use duac for my acne every night and it helps clear my acne. But I wanted a routine to clear and brighten my face for the day time

Any suggestions?
Also is duac and retonoid the same thing?

Scroll to see replies

Eat much less sugar each day

This helped me - it might help you too
Original post by Anonymous
Eat much less sugar each day

This helped me - it might help you too

thanks for this but i mainly meant actual products lol like moisturisers serums cleansers spf etc because i dont know much about skincare
I had acne all throughout my teens and no matter how much I changed my diet, used D.I.Y YouTube products or “washed my face with water” nothing seemed to work until I started do more research on the correct skincare products to use for my skin.

Duac and retinol are not the same. Duac contains benzoyl peroxide which is an antibiotic that targets acne causing bacteria. Retinol increases the turnover of skin cells and removes dead cells from the surface of the skin. Both treatments are effective in treating acne but do not use them at same time as they are both active ingredients.

I recommend using a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Cerave Hydrating Cleanser if you have dry skin or the Cerave Foaming Cleanser if you have oily skin.

For serums, you could use hyaluronic acid or niacinamide. Hyaluronic acid retains moisture in the skin which is beneficial when using Duac since benzoyl peroxide can be quite drying. The ordinary sell a great hyaluronic acid serum which is quite affordable but effective. Niacinamide regulates sebum production and blemish-causing bacteria for a more visibly clearer complexion. Again, the ordinary has some great niacinamide products.

Next, I would recommend using your active ingredient which is Duac.

Use moisturiser after your active ingredient. I personally love to use the Cerave Moisturising Lotion as it not a thick consistency and is very gentle yet hydrating on the skin but works well for oily or dry skin. If you want a more thicker consistency they also have a moisturiser cream in a tub.

Last but not least-this is the most important part for a day time routine. USE SUNSCREEN! This is super important to protect your skin from sun damage, prevent hyperpigmentation and help your products work effectively. I recommend the La Roche Porsay sunscreens. They don’t leave any white cast. Remember to reapply every 2-3 hours. Don’t use sunscreen at night because there’s no sun.

AM Routine: Cleanser-Serum(s)-Active Ingredient-Moisturiser-SUNSCREEN

PM Routine- Cleanser- Serums-Active Ingredient- Moisturiser

Hope this helps! Sorry for the essay and I’m wishing you all the best with your skincare journey!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by redcandy
I had acne all throughout my teens and no matter how much I changed my diet, used D.I.Y YouTube products or “washed my face with water” nothing seemed to work until I started do more research on the correct skincare products to use for my skin.

Duac and retinol are not the same. Duac contains benzoyl peroxide which is an antibiotic that targets acne causing bacteria. Retinol increases the turnover of skin cells and removes dead cells from the surface of the skin. Both treatments are effective in treating acne but do not use them at same time as they are both active ingredients.

I recommend using a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Cerave Hydrating Cleanser if you have dry skin or the Cerave Foaming Cleanser if you have oily skin.

For serums, you could use hyaluronic acid or niacinamide. Hyaluronic acid retains moisture in the skin which is beneficial when using Duac since benzoyl peroxide can be quite drying. The ordinary sell a great hyaluronic acid serum which is quite affordable but effective. Niacinamide regulates sebum production and blemish-causing bacteria for a more visibly clearer complexion. Again, the ordinary has some great niacinamide products.

Next, I would recommend using your active ingredient which is Duac.

Use moisturiser after your active ingredient. I personally love to use the Cerave Moisturising Lotion as it not a thick consistency and is very gentle yet hydrating on the skin but works well for oily or dry skin. If you want a more thicker consistency they also have a moisturiser cream in a tub.

Last but not least-this is the most important part for a day time routine. USE SUNSCREEN! This is super important to protect your skin from sun damage, prevent hyperpigmentation and help your products work effectively. I recommend the La Roche Porsay sunscreens. They don’t leave any white cast. Remember to reapply every 2-3 hours. Don’t use sunscreen at night because there’s no sun.

AM Routine: Cleanser-Serum(s)-Active Ingredient-Moisturiser-SUNSCREEN

PM Routine- Cleanser- Serums-Active Ingredient- Moisturiser

Hope this helps! Sorry for the essay and I’m wishing you all the best with your skincare journey!

Thank you so much this is what I was looking for.

So in terms of morning Im thinking of this in the following order :
- https://www.superdrug.com/skin/face-wash/cerave-hydrating-cream-to-foam-cleanser-236ml/p/800055 as cleanser
- https://www.boots.com/the-ordinary-hyaluronic-acid-2-b5-10267780?cm_mmc=bmm-buk-google-ppc-_-PLAs_HeroCompare-_-Beauty_Premium-_-UK_Smart_Shopping_Beauty_Premium_The_Ordinary&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjvaYBhDlARIsAO8PkE1Ruk_rB96TSprgthSRSxdL1AkEOX-CL1jxGfX-Sol8G1EXfIbilIgaAmJ8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds as serum
- Duac as active ingredient
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/CeraVe-Facial-Moisturising-Ceramides-Vitamin/dp/B09XN22JBT?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_a356787c_71&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1 and this as moisturiser + spf (it is a moisturiser with spf)

Then for evening I think i should keep it simple:
- https://www.superdrug.com/skin/face-wash/cerave-hydrating-cream-to-foam-cleanser-236ml/p/800055 as cleanser

What do you think of this by the way at night I think this should be good but you probably know better.
also can you use both serums at once btw e.g. can I use hyaluronic acid and niacinamide? or is it best to use one only. And how long do I leave each one on before applying the next i.e. when ive cleansed and applied serum how long should i leave before I apply the active ingredient and how long should i leave before aplying the moisturiser after I put on the active ingredient
You can use both serums at the same time. The ingredients are not reactive plus are less likely to cause irritation when used together. However, if you are experiencing irritation, listen to your skin and discontinue using the product.

Hyaluronic acid-based serums benefit from application on slightly damp skin straight after cleansing as they draw in moisture like a sponge. Then you can apply niacinamide.

Wait a few seconds for the serums to absorb fully into the skin in order to prevent pilling. Pilling occurs when products are layered on top of one another and build up to the point where little balls of product are formed on your face. This means the product is not being absorbed into the skin.

Afterwards you can then apply Duac. Wait between 5-15 minutes for the active ingredient to fully absorb into your skin in order to apply moisturiser.
You can use both serums at the same time. The ingredients are not reactive plus are less likely to cause irritation when used together. However, if you are experiencing irritation, listen to your skin and discontinue using the product.

Hyaluronic acid-based serums benefit from application on slightly damp skin straight after cleansing as they draw in moisture like a sponge. Then you can apply niacinamide.

Wait a few seconds for the serums to absorb fully into the skin in order to prevent pilling. Pilling occurs when products are layered on top of one another and build up to the point where little balls of product are formed on your face. This means the product is not being absorbed into the skin.

Afterwards you can then apply Duac. Wait between 5-15 minutes for the active ingredient to fully absorb into your skin in order to apply moisturiser.

sorry to keep bothering u ur just so helpful when it comes to this. if i use duac do i need retinol or can I just leave retinol out?
It’s honestly fine- you are not bothering me at all!

You can use retinol but you should never ever use them at the same time. Retinol can be extremely irritating on the skin especially when you first start. You may experience purging. Purging is completely normal and it occurs when new ingredients, like retinol, promote an increased cell turnover. This can cause worsening breakouts. This is due to the oil and debris that is trapped deeper underneath the skin coming to the surface. This can last between 2-6 weeks until you start seeing the benefits of retinol. It can get worse before it gets better but it is worth it! Trust me!

If you do want to use retinol start with a small percentage to prevent irritation. The ordinary have a retinol 0.2% with squalene. Use retinol ONLY AT NIGHT! Retinol is highly reactive to sun rays and you MUST use suncream during the day when using retinol. Only use retinol 2-3 times a week. You can still use duac in the morning and retinol at night on the days you want to use retinol. Hyaluronic acid and niacinamide are perfectly fine to use with retinol.

Wait for your skin to be dry before applying retinol. Wait 10-20 minutes after applying retinol to apply moisturiser.

Days when not using retinol:

AM Routine: Cleanser-Serums-Duac-Moisturiser-Sunscreen

PM Routine: Cleanser-Serums-Duac-Moisturiser

Days When Using Retinol (2-3 times a week):

AM Routine: Cleanser-Serums-Duac-Moisturiser-Sunscreen

PM Routine: Cleanser- Serums-Retinol-Moisturiser
Honestly, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t use retinol because Duac is also a very effective treatment. However, the process of ageing starts at 25. I definitely would start using retinol then as it helps reduce signs of ageing. Also don’t forget to use suncream on your neck!
Honestly, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t use retinol because Duac is also a very effective treatment. However, the process of ageing starts at 25. I definitely would start using retinol then as it helps reduce signs of ageing. Also don’t forget to use suncream on your neck!

i think ill get retinol later and just test out the other stuff you mentioned before moving on so i can get those elements right first. also is retinol suitable for all skins?

do you know much about eyes do u know what i can do to get rid of the darkness under my eyes. and just brighten them up a little

in terms of cleanser and moisturiser and spf im thinking cerave, i get duac from prescription and in terms of serums ill just use the ordinary ones u mentioned and for retinol ill use the ordinary ones again. You also mentioned that retinol will cause breakouts but will this definately go away because I was so happy when after weeks duac got rid of all the acne I had and now I just get a few spots every now and then
That’s perfectly fine to wait to use retinol and introduce it into your routine later on.

Yes, retinol is suitable for all skin types regardless of whether you have dry or oily skin and your skin tone complexion. However, retinol can be drying on the skin hence why I like the ordinary retinol as it contains squalene which is a hydrating oil. For the future, use a good moisturiser when using retinol. The Cerave or Cetaphil moisturiser are great but another great moisturiser that I love to use is Weleda skin food. I don’t recommend if you have oily skin because it can make you look really oily. It has quite a thick consistency but it is an extremely hydrating moisturiser. Like super hydrating and a little goes a long way.
in terms of cleanser and moisturiser and spf im thinking cerave, i get duac from prescription and in terms of serums ill just use the ordinary ones u mentioned and for retinol ill use the ordinary ones again. You also mentioned that retinol will cause breakouts but will this definately go away because I was so happy when after weeks duac got rid of all the acne I had and now I just get a few spots every now and then

The spots from using retinol will eventually go away. The breakouts you experienced when using Duac during the first few weeks was purging. It’s a completely normal process that occurs when using such treatments.
(edited 1 year ago)
do you know much about eyes do u know what i can do to get rid of the darkness under my eyes. and just brighten them up a little

With dark circles, I like to use the Cerave eye repairing cream. It’s a good introductory eye cream.
This product has some very effective ingredients such a niacinamide at a low percentage which can help brighten your under eyes without any form of irritation.

You have to be mindful when purchasing eye creams because the area surrounding your eyes are very sensitive. The products that work on your face can be quite harsh on your eyes.
With dark circles, I like to use the Cerave eye repairing cream. It’s a good introductory eye cream.
This product has some very effective ingredients such a niacinamide at a low percentage which can help brighten your under eyes without any form of irritation.

You have to be mindful when purchasing eye creams because the area surrounding your eyes are very sensitive. The products that work on your face can be quite harsh on your eyes.

should I just leave it out then?

So in terms of morning Im thinking of this in the following order :

- https://www.superdrug.com/skin/face-...236ml/p/800055 as a cleanser
- https://www.boots.com/the-ordinary-hyaluronic-acid-2-b5-10267780?cm_mmc=bmm-buk-google-ppc-_-PLAs_HeroCompare-_-Beauty_Premium-_-UK_Smart_Shopping_Beauty_Premium_The_Ordinary&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfuYBhAZEiwA5a6CDKNowztxc8lpN_oyWqnnW97Z0xOwrkEDfPYhFGOJ92E-bV_WxebYBBoCstYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds and https://www.boots.com/the-ordinary-niacinamide-10-zinc-1-10267783?cm_mmc=bmm-buk-google-ppc-_-PLAs_HeroCompare-_-Beauty_Premium-_-UK_Smart_Shopping_Beauty_Premium_The_Ordinary&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfuYBhAZEiwA5a6CDFkNqztKt7b318f6VyUieRFNo8e5N8zjFRwO1zptuXr9fii-vnMsuxoCXnUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds as serum
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/CeraVe-Faci...OKL5A1OLE&th=1 and this as moisturiser + spf (it is a moisturiser with spf)

Then for evening I think i should keep it simple:
- https://www.superdrug.com/skin/face-...236ml/p/800055 as cleanser
- Duac/retinol (3days a week) as active ingredient

What do you think of this by the way at night I think this should be good but you probably know better.
Not using eye cream is not the end of the world. The one I suggested has good ingredients that are not harsh for the skin. For now stick to creating a simple skincare routine and then get an eye cream later because skin care is expensive.

Boots are currently doing an offer on selected Cerave products. You can buy 3 selected products for the price of 2.

Don’t use moisturiser and spf creams. The spf in the moisturiser is not enough to protect you from the sun. Get the two separate products instead.

The night time routine is perfectly fine but remember to use moisturiser at the end to seal the products in your skin and hydrate your skin.

Quick Reply

Latest