The Student Room Group

HELPP!!

I know this is kind of bad but in English we have to do a anthology called “up the line to death” when the teacher gave it to me i thought it was another novel i didn’t even open it until today and found out it’s not a book but just consists of 140+ poems, first of all am I meant to memorise all these for the exams? And why do we need these poems will there be a question on it?? Please someone help
I’d speak to ur English teacher about this and find out what’s happening
Hi, when I had anthologies at school, we had to analyze a poem. Like verse to verse every word. But we didn’t had to memorize them. Maybe you should know the context and the era of the poems. Go through questions like: How has life been at that time when they wrote the poem or what image of life the people/ the poet had. Mostly it has a historic background. This would make analyzing easier for you.
Original post by Lifeisgroovy
I’d speak to ur English teacher about this and find out what’s happening

I’m afraid she’s going to say I clearly don’t know what I’m doing and I wasn’t listening in class even though I’m just confused 😕
WOAH 140+? which exam board do you do??
Original post by Brrrrrrrrrr6
WOAH 140+? which exam board do you do??

Aqa tbh it’s ridiculous bc ocr only have 15 poems
Original post by fareeda234

Whaaat... I did aqa and we did only like 15 poems which was 2 years ago for me?? 140 is not realistic 😭 check Aqa's specification- which year are you in??
I’d maybe try find out what poems you’re studying through ur teacher and if she’s no help then have a look online at past papers and see what they say

Check the specification - it won't be all the poems. Have you got a friend you can ask?
Original post by Brrrrrrrrrr6
Whaaat... I did aqa and we did only like 15 poems which was 2 years ago for me?? 140 is not realistic 😭 check Aqa's specification- which year are you in??

I’m in year 13 the anthology is 140 poems and she told us it’s called “up the line to death”
I’m in year 13 the anthology is 140 poems and she told us it’s called “up the line to death”

Sounds like you're talking about the "Texts in shared contexts" section of AQA English Literature A, see page 18 of the specification here if so: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/specifications/AQA-7711-7712-SP-2015.PDF

Most notably: "The paper for this component is open book. Students may take a copy of their set texts into the exam."

Quick Reply