The Student Room Group

Skincare products for sensitive skin?

My skin is sensitive and I'd like to get some product recommendations because im tired of breaking out 💔
Any recommendations for cleansers, toners, moisturisers and suncream etc are appreciated!

ALSO I've been recommended to try Korean skin products- does anyone have experiences?
(edited 1 year ago)
For a cleanser I could recommend the La Roche-Posay Effaclar H hydrating cleanser
Original post by Brrrrrrrrrr6
My skin is sensitive and I'd like to get some product recommendations because im tired of breaking out 💔
Any recommendations for cleansers, toners, moisturisers and suncream etc are appreciated!

ALSO I've been recommended to try Korean skin products- does anyone have experiences?
I recommend using a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Cerave Hydrating Cleanser if you have dry skin or the Cerave Foaming Cleanser if you have oily skin.

If you want to exfoliate your skin and remove dead skin cells, I recommend the Cerave SA Smoothing Cleanser which contains salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is effective in removing dead skin cells and cleaning your pores. Only use this cleanser 2-3 times a week as it can be quite drying and damaging on your sensitive skin if you exfoliate your skin regularly.

For serums, you could use hyaluronic acid and/or niacinamide. Hyaluronic acid retains moisture in the skin. The ordinary sell a great hyaluronic acid serum which is quite affordable yet effective. Niacinamide regulates sebum production and blemish-causing bacteria for a more visibly clearer complexion. Again, the ordinary has some great niacinamide products.

You could use an active ingredient but since your skin is quite sensitive start with a simple skincare routine first. Plus if you purchase the Cerave SA Smoothing Cleanser, salicylic acid is a active ingredient but in a small percentage so its not extremely irritating.

Use moisturiser. I personally love to use the Cerave Moisturising Lotion as it not a thick consistency and is very gentle yet hydrating on the skin but works well for oily or dry skin. If you want a more thicker consistency they also have a moisturiser cream in a tub.

Last but not least-this is the most important part for a day time routine. USE SUNSCREEN! This is super important to protect your skin from sun damage, prevent hyperpigmentation and help your products work effectively. I recommend the La Roche Porsay sunscreens. They don’t leave any white cast. Remember to reapply every 2-3 hours. Don’t use sunscreen at night because there’s no sun.

AM Routine: Cleanser-Serum(s)-Moisturiser-SUNSCREEN

PM Routine: Cleanser- Serum(s)-Moisturiser

I hope this helps! Wishing you all the best with your skin care journey!
hiiiii,
I'm not exactly sure what type of sensitive skin you are but for me, I can't actually use some of the deep cleansing face wash/scrab coz they hurt my face so I just use soap. too much product can be a problem as well.

recommendations:
toner: Garnier -micellar rose water cleanse& glow
cleanser?: simple-pure soap for sensitive skin OR just baby soap bars
moisturiser: comfort zone-hydramemory cream [sooooooooooooo good]
sunscreen: don't use them, too greasy (but I don't burn) I use aloe vera gel as an alternative

Also apparently tea tree oil is good for pimples but they also hurt me so if you can fight through the pain they might be helpful.
Ahh you guys are all amazing thank you these are amazing
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Slugzie(:
For a cleanser I could recommend the La Roche-Posay Effaclar H hydrating cleanser

Definitely trying this out once the cleanser im currently using runs out 😭 THANK YOUU❤
Original post by redcandy
I recommend using a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Cerave Hydrating Cleanser if you have dry skin or the Cerave Foaming Cleanser if you have oily skin.

If you want to exfoliate your skin and remove dead skin cells, I recommend the Cerave SA Smoothing Cleanser which contains salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is effective in removing dead skin cells and cleaning your pores. Only use this cleanser 2-3 times a week as it can be quite drying and damaging on your sensitive skin if you exfoliate your skin regularly.

For serums, you could use hyaluronic acid and/or niacinamide. Hyaluronic acid retains moisture in the skin. The ordinary sell a great hyaluronic acid serum which is quite affordable yet effective. Niacinamide regulates sebum production and blemish-causing bacteria for a more visibly clearer complexion. Again, the ordinary has some great niacinamide products.

You could use an active ingredient but since your skin is quite sensitive start with a simple skincare routine first. Plus if you purchase the Cerave SA Smoothing Cleanser, salicylic acid is a active ingredient but in a small percentage so its not extremely irritating.

Use moisturiser. I personally love to use the Cerave Moisturising Lotion as it not a thick consistency and is very gentle yet hydrating on the skin but works well for oily or dry skin. If you want a more thicker consistency they also have a moisturiser cream in a tub.

Last but not least-this is the most important part for a day time routine. USE SUNSCREEN! This is super important to protect your skin from sun damage, prevent hyperpigmentation and help your products work effectively. I recommend the La Roche Porsay sunscreens. They don’t leave any white cast. Remember to reapply every 2-3 hours. Don’t use sunscreen at night because there’s no sun.

AM Routine: Cleanser-Serum(s)-Moisturiser-SUNSCREEN

PM Routine: Cleanser- Serum(s)-Moisturiser

I hope this helps! Wishing you all the best with your skin care journey!

You're saving my life you have no idea how much this means to me 💕 I'm so happy seeing suncream recommendations because the one that I have leaves that annoying white cast and makes me skin look oily
Please use sunscreen! La Roche Porsay have mattifying sunscreens which are not greasy. Remember to reapply every 2-3 hours and also apply it on your neck. You will thank yourself when you are older.

Please do not use tea tree oil. It’s not for the skin at all. PLEASE! I recommend using Acnecide benzoyl peroxide spot treatment instead. Benzoyl peroxide is an antibiotic which kills acne causing bacteria.

A toner is not a necessary step in your skin care routine. However, Garnier Micellar water before or after cleansing is a form double cleansing which is great for the skin! It helps remove any extra dirt on the skin that your cleanser may have not removed effectively.

Wishing you all the best with your skincare journey!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by aliiiiiiiii
hiiiii,
I'm not exactly sure what type of sensitive skin you are but for me, I can't actually use some of the deep cleansing face wash/scrab coz they hurt my face so I just use soap. too much product can be a problem as well.

recommendations:
toner: Garnier -micellar rose water cleanse& glow
cleanser?: simple-pure soap for sensitive skin OR just baby soap bars
moisturiser: comfort zone-hydramemory cream [sooooooooooooo good]
sunscreen: don't use them, too greasy (but I don't burn) I use aloe vera gel as an alternative

Also apparently tea tree oil is good for pimples but they also hurt me so if you can fight through the pain they might be helpful.

I love Garnier purr! Thank you for this I'll look into these products even the tea tre oil which I'm scared of 😭😭 edit: nevermind
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Brrrrrrrrrr6
I love Garnier purr! Thank you for this I'll look into these products even the tea tre oil which I'm scared of 😭😭 edit: nevermind

Please do not use use tea tree oil! I’ve been there and tried it! I’m still trying to remove hyperpigmentation and acne scarring from literally BURNING my skin! BURNING! I am begging you!😭😭
Please do not use use tea tree oil! I’ve been there and tried it! I’m still trying to remove hyperpigmentation and acne scarring from literally BURNING my skin! BURNING! I am begging you!😭😭

DONT WORRY IM LOOKING PRODUCTS UP AND IVE HEARD SCARY STUFF 😭😭 I DONT THINK ITS EVEN SUPPOSED TO BURN?? IF SOMETHING HURTS DONT USE IT

youre out here fighting on the frontline FOR ME☠
(edited 1 year ago)
😂😂I’ve suffered with acne for the majority of my life and I have tried everything! I’ve changed my diet, I have tried every DIY YouTube product and I have suffered so you don’t have to! Lord knows I have suffered!😭I don’t want other people worsening the skin by trying out products that are not designed for sensitive areas like the face.
😂😂I’ve suffered with acne for the majority of my life and I have tried everything! I’ve changed my diet, I have tried every DIY YouTube product and I have suffered so you don’t have to! Lord knows I have suffered!😭I don’t want other people worsening the skin by trying out products that are not designed for sensitive areas like the face.

I used to have really bad acne when I was 14-16 nowadays it all cleared up but I feel like the products that I've been using are worsening my skin- I dont want to throw them away because they can get expensive 😭💔 the struggle is real but I trust you and your recommendations! Not all heros wear capes type vibes rn
I completely understand how you feel. Skincare can be so expensive and there’s so much choice nowadays- it’s hard to know what to use. I tried to recommend you some products you can find at your local drugstore. If you live in the UK, Boots are currently doing an offer on Cerave products. You can get 3 items for the price of 2 on selected Cerave products.

Quick Reply