Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a stupid question, But I'm curious. Is the degree supposed to make you happy or is it just supposed to not make you miserable.

I don't really know where I fit. I love the uni itself, and if i want to do anything it's law but i just can't motivate myself, don't find myself interested.

I'm just a bit confused as to how it's normal to feel

ReputationRep:
    I think its really important to enjoy what your studying. I started uni this year doing law and I just didnt enjoy it which meant I got very little work done because I just wasnt motivated. I'm reapplying to hopefully study something I'll enjoy!

Its still only the beginning once you get into more of a routine it might start getting easier to motivate yourself.

ReputationRep:
    hmm the way you felt is how i felt about cardiology, now im looking at nursing, and spending time doing full research, eg suscribing to magazines etc..i feel more passionate about this than cardiology..hmm, you are meant to be motivated in what you're learning, yeah some lectures and modules may be crap, but if its the whole degree..well it may be worth reconsidering

ReputationRep:
    I studied Law myself and whilst I'm not somebody who is really passionate about the subject (it's never been a lifelong ambition of mine), I was always motivated to do the work, so I find it worrying that you are not motivated.

Having said that, I went through phases at uni of being highly motivated and then being completely down in the dumps at other times, and more often than not, it was during the winter months that I lacked motivation.

In terms of interest, you will study alot of different topics on a Law degree, some will be interesting and others, well, won't. I think it just boils down to motivation. Do you think this is a phase that you are going through?

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to tell. I think it may be because I have no goal. It's not about grade it about getting to the next step and I don't know what that is r where i want it to be. I just seem to be able to find anything to do but work and most of my textbooks are still in their packaging.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year of my law degree. With two electives, and the different core modules, I'm much happier this year, as I'm really interested in these modules compared to last year. I found it boring learning tort and contract as the basics, whereas now I get to apply it in the context of land and consumer law, so it makes it more interesting.
    Aside from the fact that I chose to do law initially because it is a subject I want to study, I am also really motivated to become a solicitor, so that helps.

There are boring bits and depressing periods with the workload, but my motivation and goals help me get through this.

If you seriously think you wouldn't come to like your future modules, or cannot see a reason or want for staying, then I would re-consider your aims.

ReputationRep:
    Is it because it isnt what you thought it would be like? Im having the same problem, but for once I am not going to quit.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get electives until year 3 and I only get two. I che the commercial law program, which is taylored for you. I suck with making choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    It's difficult to tell. I think it may be because I have no goal. It's not about grade it about getting to the next step and I don't know what that is r where i want it to be. I just seem to be able to find anything to do but work and most of my textbooks are still in their packaging.
    when you say you have no goal, what do you mean? are you thinking in terms of a career i.e. you don't know whether you want to be in the legal profession or not? It's always important to know where you are heading especially in terms of a Legal career as you have to do alot of your preparation, during your actual degree. (It's possible to do it afterwards like I'm having to but it will save you alot of time if you go down the conventional route!)

ReputationRep:
    it's what i thought it would be i just dont really like it. I mean i Love the seminars, the discussion and stuff. But i'm not a good reader so what they say should take 10 mins to scan ready takes be over an hour. i cant scan read. ad tere jst seems to be alot of obstacles

ReputationRep:
    I dont get electives until year 3 and I only get two. I che the commercial law program, which is taylored for you. I suck with making choices
    Hm. I want to be a commercial lawyer, but I would find an abundance of it in my LL.B would cause it to be rather dry!

My friend is on my LL.B course, however is not extremely motivated in a legal career, and is only on it because her dad wanted her to be on it. She is not enjoying the course layout at all, since most of our electives are in third year, and she is not liking the year 2 core modules. She has considered giving up, but I try and get her to think about what she wants in the long run. Which is probably not dropping out at this stage!
    I can imagine your difficulty for motivation if that's how your course is structured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertine861)
    when you say you have no goal, what do you mean? are you thinking in terms of a career i.e. you don't know whether you want to be in the legal profession or not? It's always important to know where you are heading especially in terms of a Legal career as you have to do alot of your preparation, during your actual degree. (It's possible to do it afterwards like I'm having to but it will save you alot of time if you go down the conventional route!)
    i don't knwo if i want to practice, this is the thing. But then part of me thinks i'm subconsciously sabotaging myself becuase it's challenging. if i dont "keep up with past performance" as my parents but it, then i'm the bg disappointment. at least if I don't try I havem' failed becuse im not up to it.

ReputationRep:
    it's what i thought it would be i just dont really like it. I mean i Love the seminars, the discussion and stuff. But i'm not a good reader so what they say should take 10 mins to scan ready takes be over an hour. i cant scan read. ad tere jst seems to be alot of obstacles
    It is a struggle to get used to it. I have problems with taking too many notes from textbooks, and enough problems with exam technique, which is frustrating when I'm actually quite bright, but I'm not making my degree results work for me the way I can atm. It takes patience and practice, and lots of mistakes to get it right! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It's almost frustrating how much better a degree looks on paper than the real thing.

[rant]
    I came to university thinking my course would be hands down the best aspect of it all, but it's just been a let down. I'm bored of being assessed by stupid MCQs or True or False questions, I'm bored of being stuck with busy work that isn't difficult at all, and I'm dreading the fact that my second semester isn't going to be anywhere near as interesting as this one. The workload isn't demanding at all. I'm doing a course which is supposed to be maths intensive in the third year, yet I'm stuck doing a maths module which is a complete joke - it's like it's mocking me or something. If you bring people into a degree with AS-level equivalent (at the minimum) maths qualifications, please don't be afraid to take the maths up a notch.
    [/rant]

Phew, that's off my chest. I should really consider switching course, tbh Anyway, just wanted to let the OP know I have similar thoughts/worries right now as well.

ReputationRep:
    Are you getting help for this? As your signature says you have spld which probabaly means you will need a bit of help. Have you told the university at all?

ReputationRep:
    well I won't lie to you, I had to do a hell of alot of reading on my Law degree so if you're not a big reader, then you might want to re-consider. Is there no way you could improve your reading at all? is there no workshops at your uni for speed reading? there are books you can buy in the series called nutshells or nutcases, and they basically give a summary of the key legal principles and cases. Lecturers frown upon their use and I would never cite those books as a reference but they are useful in aiding understanding. It is always to better to read the full cases though and there is no avoiding the fact that you need to do alot of reading.

ReputationRep:
    In theory you are, but a lot of people don't.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. also wondering this and also studying law. not having a good time of it at all, generally, but i've seemed to notice a pattern of always being down and unmotivated in winter, maybe i have that winter depression thing.

ReputationRep:
    The way you have to think is, are you still excited about where Law will take you? Because then you have a goal and you will become more motivated to do the work. I wouldn't say Law is a fun degree, so don't worry about that.

I think a good degree should make you feel: challenged, interested, motivated and pensive. None of these things are necessarily enjoyable, but they make for a satisfying course. They are definitely what I look for. Are they emotions you can identify with? If so, then you're probably doig fine. You probably just need a lil break.

ReputationRep:
    i don't knwo if i want to practice, this is the thing. But then part of me thinks i'm subconsciously sabotaging myself becuase it's challenging. if i dont "keep up with past performance" as my parents but it, then i'm the bg disappointment. at least if I don't try I havem' failed becuse im not up to it.
    The best thing to do in life is to confront your fears or confront the things that challenge you, they won't go away if ignored. I got a 2.1 in my Law degree (albeit only just!) and if I can do it, anyone can! I didn't even do A Levels, I did a BTEC National Diploma. In fact, I wouldn't even class myself as being any cleverer than the next man, I just work very hard and have alot of motivation from my previous background. I think if you can get motivated and stay motivated, it doesn't matter how hard anything is, persistence will always prevail and you will get there in the end. It's better to try and fail than not try at all. There is no reason why you should fail though, the fact that you have gotten yourself on a Law degree, shows that you are more than capable.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.