Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Degree - hating it watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After doing 2 years of my degree along with a year in industry I am thinking of changing degrees, I have simply realised it is not for me.

The reason for this, is that my degree (computing science) is absolutely boring. Programming, and although I am 'able' at it does not stimulate me at all and frankly I cannot see myself programming afterwards for 20 odd years upon graduation. Secondly, after spending hours in the computer labs programming in some obscure language(s), I am finding that the more I do this, the more I turn into a vegetable in the process -- I feel numb. My creative base seems to be suppressed with the degree. Something that I really hate.

I want to switch to something else that feeds of my creative base, for example: I always wanted to study History, but for the sake of job security I chose computing. However, I am unsure whether I should switch so late in my degree. I am indecisive because if I leave computing science all of my work experience to date will become irrelevent and secondly, for a project I am currently freelancing for I will get paid a lumpsum - that would go down the toilet as well. Plus, my aspirations of becoming an IT consultant will not work out if I made a radical change.

On the flip side however, the degree is affecting my mental and physical health very badly to the point that I have lost half a stone just through stress. I am not enjoying it, so I dont know if I will be able to see it through and get a good mark if I continue - it is a double edged sword. My department have told me to sweat it out, but deep down inside I am unsure and I know that if I am to make a decision I should do so now as I still have time to change.

What do you think?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, you're so close to the end to almost make dropping out void.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Seriously, you're so close to the end to almost make dropping out void.
    I have 2 more years left; four years in scotland. Should have wrote that in the OP, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    I have 2 more years, four years in scotland.
    Oh right, but still you need to be 110% sure this is what you want to do. Is it just a bad patch you're going through? Could a xmas break change your views?

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about game design, or product design for you creative release? Forgive my ignorance because I know little about comps. But if you went into computer design rather than science, than your work experience will be useful. Because you've done 2 years already, you'd maybe get exemption from a few modules in year 1.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Oh right, but still you need to be 110% sure this is what you want to do. Is it just a bad patch you're going through? Could a xmas break change your views?
    Deep down inside yeah I do feel strongly for changing degrees. Even prior to this bad patch I never did strongly enjoy programming, all that motivated me was the job prospects afterwards. Which was further reinforced by family pressures and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm under the impression that it's university, not just computer science, that beats the creativity out of you in general. I was a big fan of English literature in high school, but I imagined that doing it 24/7 would suck the lifeblood out of it and make it a cold, cold coffin to keep the carcasses of your imagination in. Conversely, compsci has constant innovation, and though isn't very creative at the outset, at least keeps evolving.

In any case, if you're feeling like switching out, you really need a strong, target degree that really gets you excited to justify the transition - otherwise you might just end up in the same situation again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dijobla)
    Have you thought about game design, or product design for you creative release? Forgive my ignorance because I know little about comps. But if you went into computer design rather than science, than your work experience will be useful. Because you've done 2 years already, you'd maybe get exemption from a few modules in year 1.

I hope this helps
    Yeah, although I don't want to be a designer, even though I have got some work exp that shows design skills. Would rather do something that releases my creative base by being analytical on a topic and then using that as a base to form opinions for and against it...essay writing I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunderX)
    I'm under the impression that it's university, not just computer science, that beats the creativity out of you in general. I was a big fan of English literature in high school, but I imagined that doing it 24/7 would suck the lifeblood out of it and make it a cold, cold coffin to keep the carcasses of your imagination in. Conversely, compsci has constant innovation, and though isn't very creative at the outset, at least keeps evolving.
    Admittedly the university environment is dire too.

Yes indeed your right it does keep on evolving, from one programming language to the other - which is essentially the same thing if you look at it in that way . Besides, I don't know about you, but I do find it incredibly boring spending my days manipulating bytes, bits, or debugging line after line of code.

That is essentially the problem, I find the degree very socially inept.

In any case, if you're feeling like switching out, you really need a strong, target degree that really gets you excited to justify the transition - otherwise you might just end up in the same situation again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    Admittedly the university environment is dire too.

Yes indeed your right it does keep on evolving, from one programming language to the other - which is essentially the same thing if you look at it in that way . Besides, I don't know about you, but I do find it incredibly boring spending my days manipulating bytes, bits, or debugging line after line of code.

That is essentially the problem, I find the degree very socially inept.
    surely its not that bad, try and find something positive about programming...

think of it as a challenge

try to impress people with your skill?

do some fun coding
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    could you do an extra circular activity to balance out your interests?

it would be a shame to loose 2 years work but if you're sure this if wrong for you, it would be best to draw a line under it and move on

ReputationRep:
    I've known enough people who spent a lot more than two years studying one thing before changing their mind and taking up another from scratch, so don't think that your 2 years of CompSci are so great an investment that they compel you to finish your degree. That said I would certainly sit tight until you know what exactly it is you want to do instead. If you're sure it's history, and you spend a lot of your free time fantasizing about studying history and reading up on the subject then I think you should probably go for it. If you're not sure though, and think history might just be a bit more fun, think twice. History degrees aren't particularly creative or social either. Yes you write essays, but writing a history essay is not exactly like writing a novel. It's very rigid, strucuted writing that has to address a specific question. Also you will spend a lot of time on your own reading.

ReputationRep:
    Arts subjects really aren't creative either; I just spent 2 hours reading about Classical Liberalism.
    I'd stick with it if I was you...

ReputationRep:
    Why not take a year out, relax make up your mind on what you wanna do, do some placements in the degree that you do like...

don't rush quitting you might regret it...are u allowed to transfer internally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petzneo)
    Why not take a year out, relax make up your mind on what you wanna do, do some placements in the degree that you do like...

don't rush quitting you might regret it...are u allowed to transfer internally?
    I can transfer internally but I must do it soon. I took a year out last year to work in industry...I cant afford to do that again.

ReputationRep:
    If you can transfer internally without too much fuss (I presume you'll simply be adding an extra year to your degree time - doing three more years of History instead of two more years of programming), then do it, definitely. You seem to feel strongly that you dislike programming and don't want to do it as a career. In fact, you might find there won't be much else you CAN do with a degree in programming. A degree in history, on the other hand, would open up a lot of opportunities - anything from journalism to research to politics, etc. If you were you I would definitely change courses now.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem although I am doing a multimedia design course I dunno if I would actaully use this degree. I only went onto doing this because I thought it would be an interesting subject to study.

ReputationRep:
    As a history student I can tell you that it can be boring in parts. I'd rather be studying Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Franks and Normans for three years, which the vast majority of my modules are in but I still have to do crap like 'Early Twentieth century Nationalism in China' on occasion. If I were you I'd get some history books and read on subjects you enjoy when you have the time, take some subsids in History if you are allowed.

You made a bad decision, people nowadays are taking a degree because they think it's prestigious/fiscally prudent/whatever when a degree should be something you're fascinated by.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Is it possible to cash in the credits you've gained so far so that you walk out with some sort of evidence of your degree so far? I know that some uni's will reward you certificates of HE or HNDs etc if you have a certain number of credits.

And I agree, Computer Science would drain me completely but if you're good at it, do they allow you to take dual honours so you can mix something fun with something you're good at? If I didn't have psych (a subject I've never done before) next to computer science (one that I could probably do in my sleep) I'd have dropped out by now. It's so clinical and clean and unthinking. And the essay writing style is just void of all personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    As a history student I can tell you that it can be boring in parts. I'd rather be studying Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Franks and Normans for three years, which the vast majority of my modules are in but I still have to do crap like 'Early Twentieth century Nationalism in China' on occasion. If I were you I'd get some history books and read on subjects you enjoy when you have the time, take some subsids in History if you are allowed.

You made a bad decision, people nowadays are taking a degree because they think it's prestigious/fiscally prudent/whatever when a degree should be something you're fascinated by.
    Yeah, I know that it will be boring in parts - every degree will be. Today I checked out the history departments history modules -- third year (same year as myself) is incidently much more interesting then my third year in CS...I have the choice to do modules on the russian revolution, holocaust, third reich and god knows what else. In comparison, there is only one module that I actually find interesting in third year CS this semester. Next semester, the same...and in fourth year - they all look ****.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.