Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    People who've made UCAS **** ups need to learn the hard lesson now, massaging their egos by telling them 'there, there, it doesn't really matter' isn't going to help them.
    That is not massaging someone's ego.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a really arrogant position.

As I said, I didn't make mistakes in my application, and many of the questions I see on TSR make me think "What an idiot - if they thought about it for 2 seconds they could figure out the answer to that..." - but I don't then go and say that to the person, who is genuinely distressed by the situation. I'm not proud of feeling that way about it.
    (Original post by zef99)
    That is not massaging someone's ego.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misswilliams)
    Totally agree.

Bit of a difference from posting on bloody TSR to your UCAS form Captain_cherry_tango.
    I appreciate that. I just found the irony quite amusing.

While the 'everyone makes mistakes' thing obviously isn't perfect, it's true and I just think panicing people about tiny spelling/punctuation errors at this point isn't going to help. My friend spelt one of her specialities wrong on her ps and got all her interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Just had a woman ring up because I hadn't sent back my interview forms! I thought I had read through everything when the pack came in the post (I had no idea anything needed to be sent back; when I read through the forms it looked like only those needing accommodation needed to reply) and I can't believe that I risked my application for such an idiotic and stupid mistake. She was sympathetic on the phone and said she had a long list of people to ring of the same circumstance! I asked if this affected my application and luckily she said it didn't as I had now informed them that I would be coming to interview.

I've had such a nervous month and with UCAS and modules coming up for my self taught A2 I feel like I can't relax at all, and now I've just nearly broken down in tears. I think I need a long bath and need to just get my head screwed on straight.

I don't know why but I think the mixture of nervousness and stress these last few weeks made me think they just assume you will be turning up to interview. :'(

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, chill out, have a night off, treat yourself with some hot chocolate, a bath, a good movie/book and maybe an early night.
    You've got an interview, congrats! I wouldn't even dream of applying to Cambridge, so be pleased with yourself.
    Remember, you're not expected to be perfect, you're still 17/18, and even when we're 90, we'll still all be doing silly things.
    Best of luck with your interview, but take your mind off it for the moment,
    Jess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomLeigh)
    Just had a woman ring up because I hadn't sent back my interview forms! I thought I had read through everything when the pack came in the post (I had no idea anything needed to be sent back; when I read through the forms it looked like only those needing accommodation needed to reply) and I can't believe that I risked my application for such an idiotic and stupid mistake. She was sympathetic on the phone and said she had a long list of people to ring of the same circumstance! I asked if this affected my application and luckily she said it didn't as I had now informed them that I would be coming to interview.

I've had such a nervous month and with UCAS and modules coming up for my self taught A2 I feel like I can't relax at all, and now I've just nearly broken down in tears. I think I need a long bath and need to just get my head screwed on straight.

I don't know why but I think the mixture of nervousness and stress these last few weeks made me think they just assume you will be turning up to interview. :'(
    Okay, now I'm worried. I got my invitation letter to interview, but nothing else except for an accommodation sheet (which i do not need). have i made a similar error, I have had no phone call and have my interview next Tuesday. Help!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Tyler Durden)
    Okay, now I'm worried. I got my invitation letter to interview, but nothing else except for an accommodation sheet (which i do not need). have i made a similar error, I have had no phone call and have my interview next Tuesday. Help!!
    Different colleges do things differently. You might not have needed to send back an interview form; if you're worried, phone up their admissions dept.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: GB's comment. From personal experience, I sent Peterhouse information about how many meals I would need and whether I wanted to stay over for a night, in response to forms they sent me to fill out. I know they've based a few more things on web communication this year.
    If you are feeling concerned, you should email (NOT call) Jennie Brandon, because she is absolutely fantastic, and very prompt at replying.

(To all reading: he's applying to my college, hence the above being relevant)

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not going to lie and shift the blame because this was a completely rookie mistake as the first sheet does say please return ALL sheets but again, since I had received information packs from Warwick, Sheffield and Nottingham, none of which needed anything sent back, it was sort of fixed in my mind that this was just a few sheets detailing the day as opposed to a form that I send back. I'm just glad that I've learned now, and will always double, no triple check things in the future, as someone mentioned before, this sort of clumsiness is merely inexcusable and easily differentiates you from those who are more prepared.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you are applying to Peterhouse as Craggy said then you should have received a form to send back to Peterhouse as a confirmation slip. However this slip should also have been sent back two weeks before your interview, and Jennie said that she would start calling people who hadn't sent their reply slips back ten days before interview.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to send it and the data protection letters back to Cambridge but I've emailed them now even though it is a bit late. do you think it will matter?

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    You didn't confirm your interview? If it's this coming week, I'd give them a call tomorrow morning just to confirm - I'm sure they'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    This is not a mistake per se, but the advice front does apply, and I am rather paranoid even without this whole application business

Long story short, I'm an international, applied to Cam, and has been sent a paper test to take sometime next week that I have to send back. I emailed them for a fax number as post is rather rubbishy.

The response told me to fax question paper + answer sheet along "and then if [test stuff] could also be posted to [college] in due course" (emphasis mine).

Maybe I'm just daft or something, but I figure that they'd already have my answers anyway and can't be in a hurry to need the originals back, so can I post the papers back by regular First Class and it will take however long it takes for the super inefficient USPS? Or is it still better to get the originals there before a certain date (end of interview season/Christmas/before decision letters go out, whenever that is?) for whatever reason and pay extra for a guaranteed time period delivery?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so I had my interveiws and written test today and I felt they all went well. Problem? I just realized that I didn't put my name on the test. What should I do? Should I email my college? It would suck if they assumed that I didn't sit for it, or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Email them asap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lux Astraea)
    Hey, so I had my interveiws and written test today and I felt they all went well. Problem? I just realized that I didn't put my name on the test. What should I do? Should I email my college? It would suck if they assumed that I didn't sit for it, or something like that.
    Email college asap. It may well be so that you wrote your name but just can't remember :p: Hope it works out!

ReputationRep:
    No. I really, really didn't write my name. I'm 100% certain. I'll email them and hope they don't laugh in my face...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lux Astraea)
    No. I really, really didn't write my name. I'm 100% certain. I'll email them and hope they don't laugh in my face...
    Nah, I'm sure worse things have happened before in the history of applicants

Also, do you think that leaving a message on the phone (as presumably the Admissions Office would have closed by now) would be a good back-up?

ReputationRep:
    If I was them I would reject your ass right there and then. Pfft, can't even remember to write your own damn name, clearly not Oxbridge material.

NB Just joking, incase I get my ass warned again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.