The Student Room Group

a level maths

i am currently taking a level maths and further maths, however my school is teaching us the whole of the two year a level maths course in year 12, and then alevel further maths in year 13. most people take the a level maths and further maths exams at the end of year 13, but there is also the option, if you are in a good position, for you to take a level maths at the end of year 12. I would say i am generally good in maths and i taught myself the whole gcse course with no extra help and received a high grade because of this. I would also say i think i would definitely be able to teach myself most of the alevel course as i know and have access to many great resources.
I am thinking of trying to take the alevel maths exam at the end of year 12 so it is less stressful for me in year 13 as i am doing 4 a levels (not by choice, my school requires that of me), however i have very high expectations of myself, and i would like an A*, especially in maths, as it is what i am most likely to do in the future at university.
to sum it up, my questions are:
1. is it possible to learn all the a level maths content in less than a year to a high standard?
2. is it possible to get an A* or is that completely unrealistic?
3. if i was dissatisfied with my exam result, would retaking it in year 13 affect any university applications?
4. would the STEP exam also be possible to do in year 13 or would that be too stressful/ too much pressure?
thank you for any replies :smile:
It is definitely possible. My sixth form had the same thing where people who take A-Level further maths usually do the whole of A-Level maths in year 12 and then only sit further maths exams in year 13. I know someone who got an A* in A-Level maths and he did it in one year, so it is definitely realistic. If you're someone who picks up maths content very quickly and you were someone who was good at it at GCSE then I don't see why you shouldn't do it. Also, maths is the easiest subject to self study because it's all just repetition and going over textbooks, practice questions and past papers over and over again until you get bored of it. Once you finish going through all of the content you are almost guaranteed an A or an A*. It is definitely possible to do it in one year but you need to be prepared to put some work in because there is quite a lot of content to learn and you will most likely need to spend some evenings on your own just doing practice questions. And I mean that you should start doing that as soon as possible because you won't be able to cram so much of this content last minute. If you stay organised and cover every single topic in detail, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to do it in a year.
Reply 2
thank you for your advice, i have already started going through the textbook and doing the questions. i like to be thorough anyway so hopefully i should be able to do every single topic in detail. i hope to finish it by march so i have enough time to revise:smile:
i am also just worried that my other a levels will be neglected in this process, especially as i would take the exam around the same time as my mocks which will give me my predicted grades for my ucas application.
would you know if universities will have any problems with me taking it early?
Original post by apples781
thank you for your advice, i have already started going through the textbook and doing the questions. i like to be thorough anyway so hopefully i should be able to do every single topic in detail. i hope to finish it by march so i have enough time to revise:smile:
i am also just worried that my other a levels will be neglected in this process, especially as i would take the exam around the same time as my mocks which will give me my predicted grades for my ucas application.
would you know if universities will have any problems with me taking it early?

So if you do the A-Level maths early then when you apply to uni they will consider your other A-Levels when they make you an offer. Since you will already have a grade in A-Level maths, they will only look at your A-Level further maths grade and any other A-Levels that you do. So actually, your A-Level maths will not be as important in this case, because universities will look at your further maths grade instead. I know that this is what happened to one of the people in my sixth form who did A-Level maths early. Their offers still had other A-Level requirements. But equally, the people in your school will probably know more about the in depth process of UCAS and how things are done.
Original post by apples781
i am currently taking a level maths and further maths, however my school is teaching us the whole of the two year a level maths course in year 12, and then alevel further maths in year 13. most people take the a level maths and further maths exams at the end of year 13, but there is also the option, if you are in a good position, for you to take a level maths at the end of year 12. I would say i am generally good in maths and i taught myself the whole gcse course with no extra help and received a high grade because of this. I would also say i think i would definitely be able to teach myself most of the alevel course as i know and have access to many great resources.
I am thinking of trying to take the alevel maths exam at the end of year 12 so it is less stressful for me in year 13 as i am doing 4 a levels (not by choice, my school requires that of me), however i have very high expectations of myself, and i would like an A*, especially in maths, as it is what i am most likely to do in the future at university.
to sum it up, my questions are:
1. is it possible to learn all the a level maths content in less than a year to a high standard?
2. is it possible to get an A* or is that completely unrealistic?
3. if i was dissatisfied with my exam result, would retaking it in year 13 affect any university applications?
4. would the STEP exam also be possible to do in year 13 or would that be too stressful/ too much pressure?
thank you for any replies :smile:

Lots of schools do this where you take Maths in Year 12 and FMaths in Year 13 - you have double the number of lessons to enable that. Yes it's perfectly possible to get A*A* like this or they wouold not do it.

Quick Reply

Latest