Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We're merely a complex system of chemicals which has gradually been 'designed' (I say with caution) via natural selection to protect and pass on our underlying chemical - DNA. What is the point of that? I can't see any real one, and this question can be broken down to the point where you ask - why does anything exist at all? However the point of that really doesn't concern us as our individual humans since our consciousness is only temporal, so the point of 'life' is anything you want it to be - whether that's searching for the ultimate explanation as to why we're here, or just living a fulfilled and happy life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    We're merely a complex system of chemicals which has gradually been 'designed' (I say with caution) via natural selection to protect and pass on our underlying chemical - DNA. What is the point of that? I can't see any real one, and this question can be broken down to the point where you ask - why does anything exist at all? However the point of that really doesn't concern us as our individual humans since our consciousness is only temporal, so the point of 'life' is anything you want it to be - whether that's searching for the ultimate explanation as to why we're here, or just living a fulfilled and happy life.
    why not say that has evolved in such a way due to natural selection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    why not say that has evolved in such a way due to natural selection?
    Probably works better. I just wrote designed before and quickly edited it after realising how some people here would interpret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    Probably works better. I just wrote designed before and quickly edited it after realising how some people here would interpret it.
    Well designed does have that element of conscious "make x like x" about it.

ReputationRep:
    Humans are random evolutionary accidents.
    Humankind is one of a billion biological species.
    There is/are no God/gods.
    There is no purpose to life.
    There is no path to truth.

Having said that as an atheist I believe I only have one life, therefore I better try and make it as happy and interesting as possible. As a humanist I also have an ethical imperative to try and help other humans better themselves and improve their situation (e.g., through giving to charity).

Of course you still have a moral reason to do something if you don't believe in an afterlife, to suggest otherwise would be to say that religious people only do nice things in exchange for a reward (i.e., heaven) which doesn't do them any favours from the moral perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    Umm, so that I can get the most out of these world as I can. I'm not going to live in a state I may not even be satisfied with simply for the sake of entering a realm which questionably exists. (I'm an agnostic but I don't need to be an athiest to answer this question.) Therefore I would never live under the assumption that my only possibility of fulfillment lies in the afterlife.

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe there is no "point" to life, and that our existence can be explained anthropically. We just happened through an unlikely chain of chemical events etc. All our morals etc are arbitrary in that they exist as a human invention to ultimately satisfy the quest for certain emotions like happiness.

Boils down to that its conceivable that eventually there will be no evidence we ever existed in the universe so it doesn't matter, there's no ultimate consequence to anything we can ever do, even as a race. This is why you SHOULD make you life whatever you want it too be, enjoy it... because, well why the hell not? I could go on but this sums up the meaning of life for me.

"There is no meaning of life" so go make one and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    I think life only has meaning in so far as we give it meaning.

ReputationRep:
    theres a difference between the meaning of life and indeed the purpose of life, its established that the purpose of life is to reproduce and continue the species but the question is what is the meaning of life, what is the point of anything??

ReputationRep:
    Looking for a point to life is trying to find assurance and validation. It's the reason why religion exists in my view, that is to give a point to life to those who want to find one.

In reality I would argue that there is no "point" or meaning and nor should there need to be. The fact that in our universe the possibility of life exists is reason enough to explain us.

(Original post by Copacetic)
    Looking for a point to life is trying to find assurance and validation. It's the reason why religion exists in my view, that is to give a point to life to those who want to find one.

In reality I would argue that there is no "point" or meaning and nor should there need to be. The fact that in our universe the possibility of life exists is reason enough to explain us.
    I agree.
    That is why the theory of evolution is such a horrid notion to many religious, in that it is random and there is no grand plan or reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Umm, so that I can get the most out of this world as I can. I'm not going to live in a state I may not even be satisfied with simply for the sake of entering a realm which questionably exists. (I'm an agnostic but I don't need to be an athiest to answer this question.) Therefore I would never live under the assumption that my only possibility of fulfilment lies in the afterlife.
    This confused me for a while...
    I underlined the confusing one. Are you dyslexic by any chance?
    If you're not sure...you might want to think about getting tested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    I think life only has meaning in so far as we give it meaning.
    existentialism :coma:

ReputationRep:
    This confused me for a while...
    I underlined the confusing one. Are you dyslexic by any chance?
    If you're not sure...you might want to think about getting tested.
    What about it confuses you? >_>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    What about it confuses you? >_>
    'these' instead of 'this'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    existentialism :coma:
    I became an existentialist without even knowing it!

ReputationRep:
    Im 15 years old - and i have a prospective on the meaning of life.
    well, in an atheistic perspective, i think its right to say- there is no true generalisational perception of an idealistic interpretation of life's meaning which is implied emotionally through this question. A meaning to life rhetorically enforces a more spiritually purposeful insight into lifes meaning, which isn't neccessarily (in a euphanistic sense) an 'atheistic possibility'.

In my opinion there is no meaning to life because life has infinite meanings at infinite times. Sometimes your meaning to life may be to study hard, the next minute (perhaps after a life threatenning/changing experience)- so there is no definitional label you can give life, which is infered through asking oneself as well as others- what is the meaning of life?

Moreover in my opinion, the meaning of life is what you make of it at the time of your pondering and thoughtfulness. You can never state the meaning of life because meaning has emotional implications which are entirely variable.

PS: Should I take philosophy AS/A level, im quite good at RE according to my teacher lol.

ReputationRep:
    'these' instead of 'this'
    lol, I just made a typo.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why there needs to be a 'point' to life. Surely to achieve what you want to achieve is point enough to have a life? Everyone will have their own personal goals etc. and therefore there surely can be no common purpose to life. Each to their own and enjoy life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indifferencepersonified)
    I don't see why there needs to be a 'point' to life. Surely to achieve what you want to achieve is point enough to have a life? Everyone will have their own personal goals etc. and therefore there surely can be no common purpose to life. Each to their own and enjoy life!
    The problem is that even if purpose to existence is not universal to all humans (or all life, if you're that way inclined), to find personal purpose still requires some conclusions about human agency, liberty, and purpose.

You can say "each to their own", but all you dois break down the question from "What is the purpose of mankind?" to "What is your purpose?", and this breaking down is not terribly helpful, given that all quests for meaning are essentially personal anyway, even if they're held to be of universal validity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.