Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll ever be entirely sure, but I do know for certain that there are damn good reasons for continuing with this life nonetheless :gthumb: Although it may be forever problematic to speak of a purpose in objective terms, it seems as if our inter-subjective terms of equality, freedom, happiness etc do hold a sense of universal importance to us all.

ReputationRep:
    laugh, love, ****, and drink liquor...

ReputationRep:
    Why not?

What's the point in living for religious people if you believe that heaven will be better?

I'm having fun, being alive and such.
    It's so much more incentive for me to make the most of my life and improve other people's because I know that when I die, that's it. Squadoosh. Kerput. No fluffy bunnies for Kate.

I resent any implication that because I believe there is no heaven, I will live an immoral and terrible life. I want to make the best I possibly can of everything I do now while I'm alive because when I die I can't accomplish anything else.

Currently my reason for living is McVities, Philadelphia cheese, and the vision of not having to do GCSEs any more.

C'est tout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    The German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche would have told you that you were a nihilist for asking that question.

Life does have value; does have a point...for those who affirm it; who say "Yes" to life. Those who say "life has no value" and "we live, we die and that is all" etc, say "No" to life; they deny life, as Nietzsche might say.

Of course, Nietzsche recognised that human beings say "Yes" and "No" at the same time. But to be a complete denier to life; to see no point to life or living life - that must be really horrific and deeply worrying. To pose the question, "Does life have meaning?" is already a "No" unless the question is innoncent or is simply an academic question.

Of course life has meaning!

But if inside you are asking yourself that very question I suggest you dispell it from your mind at once; it is a black cloud you do not want!
    Good on you mate, saved me from quoting some Nietzche. Say yes to all suffering and all joy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rabid child)
    Good on you mate, saved me from quoting some Nietzche. Say yes to all suffering and all joy.
    Yep. It is easier said than done, of course. But if you take that philosophy and apply it to the way you live, you will accept that life is just like that, joys and sufferings. In that way, you don't deny life, you affirm it. Then you can, as Nietzsche might say, begin to really live...

ReputationRep:
    There's no more purpose behind our existence than there is a grain of sand's. There is no point of life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    There's no more purpose behind our existence than there is a grain of sand's. There is no point of life
    Thats a semi-true point.

What purpose does a rock have? None by itself.

But when used to build a house, its gives someone shelter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W-Three)
    Thats a semi-true point.

What purpose does a rock have? None by itself.

But when used to build a house, its gives someone shelter.
    That's extremely subjective, it's not really a purpose so much as the fact that it just so happens to have a use that benefits us. Plants have no purpose, doesn't mean if we eat them the purpose of them suddenly becomes to feed humans.

ReputationRep:
    the piont of life....to learn to understand to change what has gone before us, to experiance what life is to reproduce life is a cycle always changing but shouldent we learn to put rite what is worng and then reflect.
    ok if you belive in god or not is irelivant but to reflect is to understand. god created the world in 6 days on the seventh day, rested then he reflected and said life is good. reflection and experiance are the key to a better world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    That's extremely subjective, it's not really a purpose so much as the fact that it just so happens to have a use that benefits us. Plants have no purpose, doesn't mean if we eat them the purpose of them suddenly becomes to feed humans.
    It is subjective, thats my point.

In the sense of whether life has a piont or purpose: purpose is brought to a persons life, by that life.

Someones actions gives their lfie meaning, and the situation they are in brings that meaning definition. When a person dedicate their life to saving others, that person has meaning.

When a plant is grown to be eaten, that plant has a purpose. And when we hunt a deer to eat it, that deer too has purpose.

ReputationRep:
    Is the "point" of life the reason it exists, or the purpose of its existance, (there is a difference)
    The reason it exists: No reason. Why should there be?
    The purpose of its existance: Well, all life does is produce more life. The only reason a living organism does anything is to keep itself or its comminuty alive and well in order to make more living organisms. And from that, I can induce the purpose of bringing more life into the world is so that living thing can go on to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    If your only reason for being in this world is to reach heaven then what happens once you reach your final destination? What would be the purpose of existing whilst in heaven?

Do you see where I'm going with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquid27)
    If your only reason for being in this world is to reach heaven then what happens once you reach your final destination? What would be the purpose of existing whilst in heaven?

Do you see where I'm going with this?
    You just owned the thread good job.

ReputationRep:
    The only meaning of life is that which we give it. It doesn't matter whether heaven or hell exists or not; ultimately, it all boils down to our personal attributions. The question has been asked already, but it is worth repeating: why does the existence of a god automatically imbue all life with meaning? The truth is that it doesn't. It just so happens that religious people use God to give a sense of purpose to their lives. But it's very saddening to me when I hear people who are so closed off to reality that they view God as the only way to give one's life meaning. It just seems awfully depressive. The point of my life, if you wish to know, is to learn, to love, to procreate (so that I may pass on this gift of existence) and to die without regrets.

ReputationRep:
    the meaning of life is to live it...

ReputationRep:
    No meaning life, it is just there.

This question only comes up as humans always put a meaning to somthing.

We just live and die, nothing more nothing less. everything inbetween is just there. As anything we do in our lives is completely un relevant, as when we die everything has gone.

So then, if somone says "your wasting your life". You are not, as when you die, your life never existed.

ReputationRep:
    To serve our fellow man by pursuing our own gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bachelor)
    Why is heaven a point of life at all?
    This.

I don't get why religious people feel they have a better purpose to life than the non religious. Once you're in heaven, what will be your purpose of existing then?

ReputationRep:
    All I know is existence is so freaking weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    There no point. If life is going to end not just individually but eventually the earth as a hoal will die and no matter how far we got with tecknolagy or reproduction it will all be useless and worth nothing. there is NO destination of the world! were are we going? there is nowhere to go there is no reason there for there is no point. AND even if you bleaved in god then what would be the point there? there would be no destination there eather! and the point is NOT to live a happy life because human feelings are just a creation that is part of the reason humans trick themselfs into thinking there is a point! because they want to play the game of life and that's all it is... its just a game created by mankind. and we who ask the is questions are the only once who have desided to quit the game because it stupid and there is no point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.