Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To find the best place, and people to be with, as soon as possible and stay there.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a point in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetruth)
    hoal
    tecknolagy
    bleaved
    eather
    themselfs
    Your spelling gave me cancer

ReputationRep:
    Morals come from religion and the yearning to reach a pious status to achieve heavenly reward in the afterlife, therefore by default by rejecting religion atheists reject the notion of morality therefore condoning immoral behaviour, if atheists reject this theory, then by default they are not atheists as they have already accepted morality, the key foundation to religion and religious belief. Without religion there would be no morality.

ReputationRep:
    this threads been resurrected at least twice now...

to summarise:
    1) there is no purpose, no one has one that they are born with
    2) we make our own damn purpose

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleo488)
    Morals come from religion and the yearning to reach a pious status to achieve heavenly reward in the afterlife, therefore by default by rejecting religion atheists reject the notion of morality therefore condoning immoral behaviour, if atheists reject this theory, then by default they are not atheists as they have already accepted morality, the key foundation to religion and religious belief. Without religion there would be no morality.
    can tell if trolling....

morality is independent of religion, religion is not the only way to gain morals :facepalm:
    one of the main factors that impact morality is compassion, feelings, a sense of perspective (putting yourself into other peoples shoes) etc... by your logic that would mean that all atheists lack these to which is pretty damn near stupid

to even assume that a person is immoral simply because they are atheist is the most moronic, dumbass thing ive heard in a while...

im an atheist, i know i am... AND i have morals thank you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    can tell if trolling....

morality is independent of religion, religion is not the only way to gain morals :facepalm:
    one of the main factors that impact morality is compassion, feelings, a sense of perspective (putting yourself into other peoples shoes) etc... by your logic that would mean that all atheists lack these to which is pretty damn near stupid

to even assume that a person is immoral simply because they are atheist is the most moronic, dumbass thing ive heard in a while...

im an atheist, i know i am... AND i have morals thank you...
    Shame you didn't read it all, I was implying no one is a 100% atheists, as they have a belief of some sort or another, read between the lines next time before having an emotional breakdown.

ReputationRep:
    Shame you didn't read it all, I was implying no one is a 100% atheists, as they have a belief of some sort or another, read between the lines next time before having an emotional breakdown.
    read between the lines? emotional breakdown? you made a stupid ignorant post, thats all there is to it...

morality is in fact independent of religion... the fact that a holy book says "dont do xyz" means nothing... i can be taught the same thing and i dont even need said holy book...

tell me what sort of belief is this?

seems to me youre just trying to cover yourself after i criticised your post

ReputationRep:
    read between the lines? emotional breakdown? you made a stupid ignorant post, thats all there is to it...

morality is in fact independent of religion... the fact that a holy book says "dont do xyz" means nothing... i can be taught the same thing and i dont even need said holy book...

tell me what sort of belief is this?

seems to me youre just trying to cover yourself...
    \The fact is before religion existed there was no morality, human acted like animals. Morality is derived from religion, and despite religion haters like you, that fact cannot be changed.

If you don;t like religion stop stealing its components. such as morality, right and wrong, ethics, justice, law, order etc, all derived from religion. So go away and do not disturb me you moronic good for nothing imbecile.

ReputationRep:
    \The fact is before religion existed there was no morality, human acted like animals.
    Is this a new definition of "fact" that I have not heard before?

ReputationRep:
    \The fact is before religion existed there was no morality, human acted like animals. Morality is derived from religion, and despite religion haters like you, that fact cannot be changed.

If you don;t like religion stop stealing its components. such as morality, right and wrong, ethics, justice, law, order etc, all derived from religion. So go away and do not disturb me you moronic good for nothing imbecile.
    with the bold... absolute bullcrap...
    get this into your skull, religion is NOT the only way to obtain morality... did you not read what i just posted? i can be taught what is right or wrong without needing to be taught religion. religion does not own morality.... an atheist can teach me morals just as easily

religion haters? pft you dont even know what i think about religion other than knowing im atheist... youre simply going by the tired old stereotype that being atheist means being a religion hater...

ill stop disturbing you once you make me concede my point. to do that you will actually have to think and rationally counter my points rather than spewing crap

get over yourself :facepalm: again religion does not own morality. this is simply fanboying off of religion. right and wrong does not belong to religion, nor does ethics, its simply used by religion... does a secular country rely on religion for its laws and to uphold justice?

im pretty relaxed, i can get annoyed/pissed off easily but in terms of being offended, i dont usually get to this stage...your ignorance is getting pretty close to this... im not stealing aspects of religion, i havent taken a holy book, written down all the moral teachings, memorised them, then threw away the book saying "haha, im still not a theist, thanks for the morals"

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    Your point in life is to adhere to a collection of mythical, bronze-age fairy tales that postulate the existence of a tyrannical supreme being which you believe without questioning, in order to get into 'heaven'?

Has it ever occurred to you that you have chosen to be a slave to a system by your own will? That doesn't sound very 'heavenly' to me.

ReputationRep:
    with the bold... absolute bullcrap...
    get this into your skull, religion is NOT the only way to obtain morality... did you not read what i just posted? i can be taught what is right or wrong without needing to be taught religion. religion does not own morality.... an atheist can teach me morals just as easily

religion haters? pft you dont even know what i think about religion other than knowing im atheist... youre simply going by the tired old stereotype that being atheist means being a religion hater...

ill stop disturbing you once you make me concede my point. to do that you will actually have to think and rationally counter my points rather than spewing crap

get over yourself :facepalm: again religion does not own morality. this is simply fanboying off of religion. right and wrong does not belong to religion, nor does ethics... does a secular country rely on religion for its laws and to uphold justice?

im pretty relaxed, i can get annoyed/pissed off easily but in terms of being offended, i dont usually get to this stage...your ignorance is getting pretty close to this...
    Religious people teach morality and right/wrong by saying you should do this that or the other because religion X says so and God says so.

An atheist teaches morality right/wrong, by saying,

'we should do this that the other because ..erm...I say so....because we just do....because oh crap I stole the component of morality from religion, hence contradicting atheism theory. Oh what a failure I am son.'

Atheism has no referal point of morality nor right/wrong, both are derived from religion, therefore for atheists to lecture people on either is ironic at best. Go seek forgiveness from Jesus and God before you are bound to the hellfire that awaits you.

ReputationRep:
    Religious people teach morality and right/wrong by saying you should do this that or the other because religion X says so and God says so.

'we should do this that the other because ..erm...I say so....because we just do....because oh crap I stole the component of morality from religion, hence contradicting atheism theory. Oh what a failure I am son.'

Atheism has no referal point of morality nor right/wrong, both are derived from religion, therefore for atheists to lecture people on either is ironic at best. Go seek forgiveness from Jesus and God before you are bound to the hellfire that awaits you.
    Please explain to me how someone would go about telepathically communicating with a mythological Jewish zombie who was his own father, let alone knowing what they should be 'forgiven' for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverse)
    Please explain to me how someone would go about telepathically communicating with a mythological Jewish zombie who was his own father, let alone knowing what they should be 'forgiven' for.
    Beg like you have never begged before.

ReputationRep:
    so what? an atheist parent can say the same thing, you DONT NEED religion to tell you these things... anyone that isnt brain dead would know this....

that is such a crap argument, what makes you think this cant be applied to god?...
    god: do this and that
    person: why?
    god: because i said so

this sort of crap emphasises your disregard for acknowledging that atheists have compassion... im an athiest, do you think all my morals came from someone telling me them and saying "because i said so" as justification? how simple minded are you?

read the first quote i replied to, the bit i put in bold is the VERY SAME THING youre saying atheists do :facepalm:
    again, morality is independent of religion... do you understand what this means?

i honestly cant tell whether you are trolling.... if you are then gtfo of TSR...

Atheism has no referall point of morality nor right/wrong, both are derived from religion, therefore for atheists to lecture people on either is ironic at best. Go seek forgiveness from Jesus and God before you are bound to the hellfire that awaits you.
    referall point? what do you mean by this?

religion does not own morality, it simply uses it, nor does it use it properly.. hows the whole religion accepting gay people going huh?

youre basing your argument on flawed reasoning, so there is no irony. there is no stealing components... there is simply using the same components... do you know why atheists can have this component? its because morality is not owned by religion, it is INDEPENDENT of it... but it seems you dont understand...

please, get your head out of the bible and go outside into the real world...

ReputationRep:
    Beg like you have never begged before.
    I feel no need to do such a thing. Maybe you should beg a psychologist or psychiatrist to assist you in dealing with your imaginary friend. :confused:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Why does there have to be a point? We have the choice to either enjoy it or quit. My suggestion would be the former.

ReputationRep:
    so what? an atheist parent can say the same thing, you DONT NEED religion to tell you these things... anyone that isnt brain dead would know this....

Somewhere down the line your ancestors had religion including the concept of morality that religion creates.

Then somewhere down the line one of your ancestors deserted religion but stole the concept of morality, you have been taught morality but not where it come from, then reply.

Morality comes from religion, if you are an atheists then do not try to steal the concept of morality it is hypocritical for a atheists to desert religion and cling onto to one one foundations like there is no tomorrow.

that is such a crap argument, what makes you think this cant be applied to god?...
    god: do this and that
    person: why?
    god: because i said so
    But God is always right, he is the eternal and ever lasting, what he says goes, you cannot question it or you go to hell.

this sort of crap emphasises your disregard for acknowledging that atheists have compassion... im an athiest, do you think all my morals came from someone telling me them and saying "because i said so" as justification? how simple minded are you?
    I don;t care if you have compassion or morailty, the point is you stole it from religion, the very religion you reject, ironic much?

again, morality is independent of religion... do you understand what this means?
    Morality was created by religion because this was God's command, you atheist steal the concept of morality from religion, the very religion you strive to reject at all costs.

i honestly cant tell whether you are trolling.... if you are then gtfo of TSR...
    Honesty is also a derivation of religion btw, so thats another concept stolen by atheists.

referall point? what do you mean by this?

religion does not own morality, it simply uses it, nor does it use it properly.. hows the whole religion accepting gay people going huh?
    youre basing your argument on flawed reasoning, so there is no irony.

please, get your head out of the bible and go outside into the real world...[/QUOTE]

Please get your head out of your backside and accept God and beg for his mercy or you will burn in hell. forevermore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverse)
    I feel no need to do such a thing. Maybe you should beg a psychologist or psychiatrist to assist you in dealing with your imaginary friend. :confused:
    I never asked 'how I should do...' so you can leave your advice for yourself.

When you are buried six feet under and dead and the gates of hell open for you then you will 'the need' but then it will be too late and you forever burn in hell.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.