Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point of life? (atheists only please) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    You also must admit that this is no substitute to an after life
    How does an afterlife provide any sort of purpose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabbit Season)
    What sort of an answer is that? The way you put a question mark at the end of it makes it seem as though it's really obvious what you mean, but it isn't. Explain yourself. Ask god what?
    the question mark implies it is a suggestion and I dont know.... I mean maybe if tehre is a heaven we can ask god

ReputationRep:
    I dont sugges we stop, I just want to know why we do.
    Do what? Could you be a tad clearer in all of your answers please..

ReputationRep:
    the question mark implies it is a suggestion and I dont know.... I mean maybe if tehre is a heaven we can ask god
    Well... ask him then. Hang on, I don't even know if you believe in God or not. Do you believe in God?

I don't believe there is any, as such. We're just animals and our purpose is the same as other animals.

We're here by mistake, but now that we are here the instincts we have are to reproduce and we do live on, in the genes of our children.

ReputationRep:
    Well... ask him then. Hang on, I don't even know if you believe in God or not. Do you believe in God?
    I dont believe in god

and you have structured your counter argument to refute an assertion I did not make, your point gives reason not to stop, but I never suggested we stop reproducing. I am asking what the point (You seem to have said that there need'nt be a point to doing something so lets not stop)

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe in god

and you have structured your counter argument to refute an assertion I did not make, your point gives reason not to stop, but I never suggested we stop reproducing. I am asking what the point (You seem to have said that there need'nt be a point to doing something so lets not stop)
    I didn't say anything about reproduction, I think you forgot to quote somebody.

ReputationRep:
    why then do we bother?
    No wonder there are still many relgions out there , the inability to believe that humans are not any more special than other species is too hard to imgaine for some.

Why do other animals insects bother? Do they go to sheep and fly heaven?

What is the point of life?

Apart from reproducing and passing on our genes( I tend to go towards molecular evolution). There really is no point to life. -Is it just too hard to digest? Much better believing an all powerful deity created everything but not himself because it would have to exist before it existed to create itself which is logically impossible so something created that ........ this would go on to infinite. Oh and never bother arguing with a relgious person you aruge for hours and hours and the same conclusion is always reached "It all comes down to faith"

ReputationRep:
    'Existence precedes essence.'

I've always liked the existentialist perspective. Life has no meaning in itself. We are tossed into existence purely by accident. It's up to us to invest meaning in our lives.

WE ARE FREE TO DECIDE WHAT OUR LIVES SHOULD MEAN!! I think that's great.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say anything about reproduction, I think you forgot to quote somebody.
    yeh I forgot to, the 2nd bit is for n1rv4.

it is quite depressing that the consensus is of the opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe in god

What the point of reproducing is? Not really a point, it's just a natural impulse. Those who didn't have this impulse wouldn't be able to propagate their genes, while those who did have the impulse would be able to. You could say quite simplistically that we've evolved to possess this impulse - impulses are usually a null state; it doesn't really have a point at all. However we're also able to be rational and control our impulses; and these enable us to override our natural impulses. But being able to think also makes us ascribe certain purposes to processes which should be totally "natural" and when this happens on a large scale, we're led to believe that there should be a point to reproduction and life etc.

In retrospect, maybe I'm thinking too much and maybe I've provided an incorrect reason for life and reproduction. Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    My reason for living is to experience happiness. It's a nice feeling.

ReputationRep:
    nah I mostly agree with both points, but it goes no way towards refuting the opinion that life is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DominF)
    My reason for living is to experience happiness. It's a nice feeling.
    I think this response best answers the problem, though not fully. But it does throw up problems like regard for others and crime, but I will settle for that... if no one has an objection to that as a point?

ReputationRep:
    nah I mostly agree with both points, but it goes no way towards refuting the opinion that life is pointless.
    I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but I think we're just talking semantics here now. I thought your definition of "pointless" was "purposeless"; when I say life is pointless, I meant there's no external and objective reason or purpose for your existence. I don't think life is pointless in that you should throw it away; you're living and so you can make your own aims and objectives to life. It could be to be happy, be a good person etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but I think we're just talking semantics here now. I thought your definition of "pointless" was "purposeless"; when I say life is pointless, I meant there's no external and objective reason or purpose for your existence. I don't think life is pointless in that you should throw it away; you're living and so you can make your own aims and objectives to life. It could be to be happy, be a good person etc.
    I think we are talking semantics. my initial assertion was that the purpose was pointless, because it lacked necessity. It is seemingly contingent on alot of similarly pointless things.

ReputationRep:
    Neither does the existence of heaven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bachelor)
    Neither does the existence of heaven.
    disproving something doesnt validate something else.... thats what I say to my pious relatives who attack evolution

ReputationRep:
    disproving something doesnt validate something else....
    Indeed (not that there was anything to disprove; it was a simple question at first).

ReputationRep:
    I am trying hard to be critical about that happiness thing; I guess it can be said that satisfying something that is pointless is futile because it impacts nothing that is in itself necessay. It does however give us reason to live because it means we derive pleasure from this instanteneous irrelevance we call life.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.