Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To reach a ripe enough age to reproduce, seduce a babe, deploy all means to get her to bed, have the sexy time, produce offsprings, work your ass off to nurture your offsprings so that they also reach a ripe enough age to continue this endless perpetual cycle. There is no real meaning other than this. Everything else is accessory, and happiness is an illusion to keep this momentum... going. To be honest with you I don't think there is a real reason to think hard into the meaning of life. It is pretty much self-evident, because this is seemingly a universal pattern across all species and we are no different, in essence, to other forms of life. Just my two penncesss. God-people will freak out if I said this in public :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    what i dont get about the idea of heaven is that once you die you go somewhere else to live forever? that idea's weird to me!

i believe that everyone has like 'life energy' and when we die that passes on into something else. kinda like reincarnation i guess..

also sex and reproduction.

and that maybe theres not a reason life just happened for no reason at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JekaMajeka)

Why do you care about the grand scheme of things? We don't experience things or live on that scale, we don't do the things we love because the universe gives a ****. Our lives don't have to have any external cosmic meaning to be meaningful.
    It's only natural to wonder why we exist I think. I don't think I could just go about my life not asking these questions and wondering why? That's probably why I want to be a scientist, I'm too curious

ReputationRep:
    There is more point to life when you know that you are not going to go to heaven than when you think you are.

The realization that life is an ironically "once in a lifetime opportunity" gives you the drive and the passion to get out there and have fun To get out there and do what you want to do! To get out there and learn about this world we find ourselves in!

Also on a side note I enjoy the life is a musical concept. You don't listen to a composition for the ending, you are supposed to sing and dance along the way

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that life is like...a Sims game. Apart from the fact that you only get to play it once. A Sims game is pretty fun because of various of its aspects such as building a sense of curiosity and seeing what will happen next. Thats what life is. You wait and see what happens to you for the sake of satisfying curiosity. Well, thats what I think. Not to mention the biological reasons of reproduction

ReputationRep:
    The answer is simple: To have fun!

If your not having a fun life, your not doing it right and need to address whatever the issue is. Theres not necessarily a perfect life, you have to take what pleasures you can as a living human being.

What supports this thesis is the fact as human beings were evolved to be this way, we like pleasure and dislike pain. What complicates this is life experience can make us maladaptive to getting the best out of life, when this is the case reflection and problem solving is required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... 1.what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly 2.pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    1. You assume there is a point in life. What is this assumption based on? I ask for rational/logical evidence.

2. Pointlessness or rather meaningfulness is a rather broad and complex topic. For example, "rote" means "repetition" for English speakers but for German speakers it means "red" and for the speakers of other languages "rote" is as meaningful as any random string of letters. My point is that pointlessness or meaningfulness is something subjective and local rather than objective and universal. We create meaning, meaning does not create us.

ReputationRep:
    We are basically circuit boards. Programmed by evolution to feel happy, sad, curious, fear and other emotions based on the input we take in from our environment. All of this serves the purpose to ensure the survival of the species. It is only the species that do this that survive and are thus hear we are today.

But why does this matter? It doesn't matter that feeling happy is just a chemical response if you feel good. If your reality is what your senses tell you then who cares. Just try to enjoy yourself and cause as little harm as possible.

Sometimes I wish there was more meaning to our lives, but who knows science can not explain consciousness that well yet so maybe there is hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyingfrogs)
    I'd say that life is like...a Sims game. Apart from the fact that you only get to play it once. A Sims game is pretty fun because of various of its aspects such as building a sense of curiosity and seeing what will happen next. Thats what life is. You wait and see what happens to you for the sake of satisfying curiosity. Well, thats what I think. Not to mention the biological reasons of reproduction
    Actually there is serious scientific research being done on whether or not we are living in a computer simulation of an advanced civilization.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Actually there is serious scientific research being done on whether or not we are living in a computer simulation of an advanced civilization.
    Link? I struggle to think of any test that could be applied to reality that would provide evidence one way or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    I don't see why religious people feel the universe owes them some sort of meaning why does it need to have a meaning? the only meaning the universe has is what each person makes of it, there is no grand plan or goal to achieve.
    Everything that began to exist did so for a reason. This is proved scientifically.
    The universe began to exist. This is also proved scientifically.
    Therefore...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    Link? I struggle to think of any test that could be applied to reality that would provide evidence one way or the other.
    Kill yourself if you want to know it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
    Kill yourself if you want to know it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough.

I struggle to think of any scientifically valid test that could be applied to reality that would provide evidence one way or the other.

Better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
    Everything that began to exist did so for a reason. This is proved scientifically.
    The universe began to exist. This is also proved scientifically.

It's by no means proven at any level that the big bang was the "beginning" - many eminent physicists have proposed models in which it is not, some of which I am sure you are aware of.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that the point of life is to simply live it and to take one day at a time. I don't believe in heaven but I believe there is something when we die.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    If there is no reason to live beyond going to heaven then why do you do anything in your life? Presumably you eat, go out with friends, have fun...why? What's the point? You're going to heaven anyway.

ReputationRep:
    This is a very crude and logical dissection on the topic, so be warned.

I see the notion of 'understanding' to be the big point in life.

Every species has this duty, a duty which encompasses the concept of reproduction as well. If subsequent generations do not evolve in time, through understanding (at an abstract level, forced by external forces which drive favorable genetic mutations), then, that species dies, at the hands of another, more capable one, or, through its own actions.
    Such selection forces no longer act on humans, since we've passed a certain threshold. However, we are still bounded by vestigial brain functions that act on the basis of no longer existent selection forces (i.e. a large portion of emotions, that are no longer beneficial).

'Sex' for instance drives reproduction, in a very straight-forward manner. 'Love' does the same thing, though it ensures a bond between parents, that's meant to actively protect their offspring. You could classify animals that form parenting couples to 'love' each other; that's the basis of the notion! Most humans would immediately debunk that, forgetting that 'love' as a primary emotion, is supplemented in our case by higher brain functions, thus making it far more complex than in other species.

That is what limits us; the fact that we are still wired to get 'pleasure' through actions that no longer have much purpose. People forget that 'pleasure' is not a goal in itself in life, but rather an effect of achieving one's goal, a goal which is embedded deep in their brains (to have a partner, to have offspring, to have food, to be better than everyone, to have fun). Food is everywhere, everyone can have offspring (which is not as important as it used to be), and being 'alpha', although still important, serves less than it used to (survival is no longer a concern). Also, the notion of "having fun" is very interesting to dissect, but instead of doing it here, I'm going to leave you with this link:
    http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/creativity.html

Even though we are all very limited, especially as individuals, there's no well defined boundary to what we can achieve as a species, assuming there is no implicit restriction placed on our population (i.e. a planet), or, on our goals.

However, with the possible birth of AI in the near future, we might leave this goal to someone else, thus acting as a stepping stone, in the vast process of "the cosmos, trying to know itself " (Carl Sagan)

There's a point of understanding after which, the awe given by your understanding of reality, far exceeds that of stories which stem from religion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g4d-rnhuSg

ReputationRep:
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

ReputationRep:
    Well, as a human my instinct is to reproduce and continue the human race.
    I don't believe in God or anything but I have morals. I want to help people and make people happy, and I want to be happy. I want to experience things, but I'm lucky to experience life and have good opportunities. But basically, to the majority of us, nothing we do makes a difference in the end. We are here to muck about and do crazy ****.

ReputationRep:
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven...
    Correct.

what then is the point of life?

Outside procreation (which is blind), there is no fundamental point or meaning to life. Even personal meanings are empty, as they will cease to be once we're dead. Even if you've lived a selfless, illustrious life, how will you distinguish yourself from a career coach potato when you no longer exist?

Are we all struggling to transcend our mortality or, failing that, to one day be brought back from the dead? Even if that were possible, there's still the small matter of our universe's inevitable death. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how long it takes us to die; once we're gone it will be as though we never existed – time is irrelevant to a finite consciousness. After death, are we more fortunate to have lived an average of 80-years longer than a butterfly? After death, are we more fortunate to have lived a life more self-aware than any other species?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.