Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doornumber3)
    Correct.

Outside procreation (which is blind), there is no fundamental point or meaning to life. Even personal meanings are empty, as they will cease to be once we're dead. Even if you've lived a selfless, illustrious life, how will you distinguish yourself from a career coach potato when you no longer exist?

Are we all struggling to transcend our mortality or, failing that, to one day be brought back from the dead? Even if that were possible, there's still the small matter of our universe's inevitable death. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how long it takes us to die; once we're gone it will be as though we never existed – time is irrelevant to a finite consciousness. After death, are we more fortunate to have lived an average of 80-years longer than a butterfly? After death, are we more fortunate to have lived a life more self-aware than any other species?
    So glad to have stumbled upon this thread, having a hard time understanding the purpose and all the "faff" involved between birth and death. The quoted post has probably nailed it for me (thankyou) .

Loved the the whole thread

namaste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doornumber3)
    Correct.

Outside procreation (which is blind), there is no fundamental point or meaning to life. Even personal meanings are empty, as they will cease to be once we're dead. Even if you've lived a selfless, illustrious life, how will you distinguish yourself from a career coach potato when you no longer exist?

Are we all struggling to transcend our mortality or, failing that, to one day be brought back from the dead? Even if that were possible, there's still the small matter of our universe's inevitable death. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how long it takes us to die; once we're gone it will be as though we never existed – time is irrelevant to a finite consciousness. After death, are we more fortunate to have lived an average of 80-years longer than a butterfly? After death, are we more fortunate to have lived a life more self-aware than any other species?
    thankyou for that
    Struggled to understand what all the "faff" between birth and death was about, you nailed it for me.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    There isn't a point to life, then why do I bother? Because currently the pleasure of living outweighs the pain. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    That's extremely flexible and personal to you. The meaning if life is basically what you want to have done with it once you die. I personally just want to be happy, really happy, I think everything else comes under it.
    However, if you mean 'why are we here?' Then without religion there isn't any emotional response to that. Religious people think that we were designed specially by God, but u just think it's evolution and natural selection that has put me here. There is no defined meaning of life, I just hope to have made an impact on somebody else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The meaning of life is to be as happy as possible. I don't think this poses a problem for morality, for morality is ingrained in us by society and we really don't have much choice about posessing a conscience - so we'll feel bad if we do something 'wrong'. Also, altruism is in itself a self-serving notion, as it provides happiness for the altruist. However, this is not harmful as it also benefits society.
    The selfish hedonist would be more of a problem as far as morality goes - think Dorian Grey - because they might do more harm than good to those around them.
    So, as long as our amygdala functions properly, we're a naturally pro-social species. It's when the amygdala is dysfunctional that we start getting the problems - not the meaning of life.

ReputationRep:
    Join the hedonists we have cookies!!

And sex, booze, drugs, good music... all the best things in life

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively.
    "Do what thou Wilt, shall be the whole of the Law"

ReputationRep:
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    The beauty of a life without religion is that I have free will and I can give my life any point or purpose I desire. Everything I do is mine alone and only the work of myself and my actions guide me toward any goal or purpose I have chosen. The simplicity of it is beautiful; effort in>results out.

ReputationRep:
    embrace the gift of life!!!

be kind to everyone, party your brains out, find your true love, do what you love!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I accept that. But when one makes pleasure the basis of their life, can we not then discard most conventional morals. Does this not justify crime?

You also must admit that this is no substitute to an after life, are the happiest people not the religious?
    Your point about that crime is a bit narrow. Crime cannot be justified only due to the idea that life may have no meaning. Retribution, protection of society and human nature and our instincts to keep our species from any kind of dangers ( even if it is from our own species) and alive gives us the drive to imprison and punish criminals. I guess as an atheist you would consider this biological reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    For me the point of life is to do what makes you happy, to the extent that it doesn't mean you're being a **** to other people

ReputationRep:
    be kind to others!

I honestly do my best not to back stab and I always include everyone,

ReputationRep:
    For me the point of life is to simply live it how I want and do what I love doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    be kind to others!

I honestly do my best not to back stab and I always include everyone,
    do you really think that is a POINT of life though. It is so easy to just say be nice to people. But if you consider that from a biological perspective, we have learned to be nice to people to be socially accepted. So some other humans will let us go to the cinema with them. Or go hunting with them and eat, and ultimately survive. That is what it comes down to. Survival.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaranSood07)
    do you really think that is a POINT of life though. It is so easy to just say be nice to people. But if you consider that from a biological perspective, we have learned to be nice to people to be socially accepted. So some other humans will let us go to the cinema with them. Or go hunting with them and eat, and ultimately survive. That is what it comes down to. Survival.
    Well, yea. I guess so. But I honestly think that there is no real purpose, It's up to us to give it purpose.

I think the single thing that makes life so brilliant is love. Without love, we have not got anything.

Peace out.

ReputationRep:
    To quote from Ayreon (a band):

"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."

:hat2:

ReputationRep:
    From an evolutionary perspective, I'd say to survive and pass on your genes.

Personally, however, I don't really give two ****s about the meaning of life...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I accept that. But when one makes pleasure the basis of their life, can we not then discard most conventional morals. Does this not justify crime?

You also must admit that this is no substitute to an after life, are the happiest people not the religious?
    How does a) watching out for some bearded dude in the sky or b) going to Heaven a justification to be "good"? Surely, you are just a)fearful or b) self-interested.

Besides, going to Heaven is not much more meaningful than being happy right now. If any, being happy now makes more sense as after all you don't even know if this place called heaven exists. You were told that by people who have not even seen it themselves and they also got told that by people who did not see it themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Carpe diem *****es
    Enjoy what you have while you have it. Life is short but that doesn't mean you can't be happy.

On the other hand, (actually this is more agnostic), it's just about accepting that we don't know, and wont know, so stop questioning it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.