Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I don't believe there is any, as such. We're just animals and our purpose is the same as other animals.

We're here by mistake, but now that we are here the instincts we have are to reproduce and we do live on, in the genes of our children.
    Perfect answer, exactly correct in my view. There is no point it just happened, no grand design just a happy accident

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To **** bishes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The state of consciousness has always baffled me. If one is to imagine an empty Universe, bereft of life, it makes sense ... in a way. In the sense that inanimate matter co-existing seems like an ordered state of being. But why such a Universe would develop to the point that things within it are alive ... I cannot comprehend.

If, for instance, we argue that the Universe has in some form always existed, how exactly do we explain it evolving to a state where matter within it becomes 'alive'? Is everything in the Universe 'alive', in a way that we, as mere mortals, have not yet come to understand? Is the Universe itself alive, and permanently so, in that it is an existence of its own (not, one should add, in the manner of God).

If there is life, then surely there has always been life. Is it really possible that inanimate matter could come to life, evolve, and develop into the complexity that we see around us? Does that really make sense? Why exactly would a combination of atoms evolve into a state of consciousness, having always (prior to that) been 'dead' (for want of a better word)?

Would anybody on here expect life to evolve if they were to place isolated, sterilised inanimate matter into a vacuum? I'm not sure I deem that possible.

Personally, I don't think life is a 'coincidence' in the terms that science would describe it. I believe that within the Universe, there has always been life. And that there always shall be life. I do not use this as proof of there being a deity. Merely I use it as proof that our purpose is whatever the Universe's purpose is - whether that be nothing, or something. Essentially, the conditions for life are universal - light, heat, water and energy are the things that the Universe holds in abundance. We are essentially slaves to superior forces - the forces of the Universe.

And I feel that the existential crisis is Universal, too.

Of course, this is all predicated on this experience that we are sharing being an actual reality.

I have to be honest and say that my first questions are never 'what is the meaning of life' and/or 'what happens when we die'. The questions I ask myself are as follows, in order:

- Am I real?
    - (if yes) Is that which I see around me real?
    - (if yes) To what extent are my actions and thoughts mine? Is it possible that I am being led by destiny, by the forces of dreams, into doing the things that I believe I am doing of my own free will?
    - Are other living things real, or do I imagine them?
    - (if yes) What is the nature of their reality?

Of course, many people take things as being self-evident, then they elaborate to ask the big questions - the ones they feel worthy of - whereupon they tend to gravitate towards 'truths' that they also feel are self-evident. And that's where the vicious cycle of faith or faithlessness begins.

Isn't it simpler to live life as follows:

It is now. I am. That is my purpose.

(if you don't understand that, you probably never will).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeatForest)
    - Am I real?
    - (if yes) To what extent are my actions and thoughts mine? Is it possible that I am being led by destiny, by the forces of dreams, into doing the things that I believe I am doing of my own free will?

These are really interesting questions and you might want to make a thread about it in the philosophy section if you want to get more replies

I dont think there's any way as of yet, to discern whether we're real or not. There are many who say life is an illusion, a dream and once we die, we'll see how fake this all was and wont believe we fell for it all.

The destiny/free will is more complex and I'm not sure that classical destiny and free will can exist in the same space. Free will can exist without invoking some sort of higher being/consciousness whereas I dont think destiny can. That would imply that events and choices have already been made by something or someone, call it the conscious Universe, Deity, whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    http://youtu.be/HhGuXCuDb1U I really recommend you give this a watch if/when you have the time!

ReputationRep:
    There isn't one. What makes us think we are so important? You are 1x10^-13 of a species of hundreds of 100's of them, in a planet making up ~0% of the universe.
    You and I and everyone is unimportant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjanoo)
    http://youtu.be/HhGuXCuDb1U I really recommend you give this a watch if/when you have the time!
    OP's last activity was in 2011, I doubt he'll ever log back onto TSR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DudeBoy)
    There isn't one. What makes us think we are so important? You are 1x10^-13 of a species of hundreds of 100's of them, in a planet making up ~0% of the universe.
    You and I and everyone is unimportant.
    But just because we may be one of many, doesnt make us unimportant. Is a random kid in India any less important than someone else just because he's 1 person in 7 billion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeatForest)
    The state of consciousness has always baffled me. If one is to imagine an empty Universe, bereft of life, it makes sense ... in a way. In the sense that inanimate matter co-existing seems like an ordered state of being. But why such a Universe would develop to the point that things within it are alive ... I cannot comprehend.

If, for instance, we argue that the Universe has in some form always existed, how exactly do we explain it evolving to a state where matter within it becomes 'alive'? Is everything in the Universe 'alive', in a way that we, as mere mortals, have not yet come to understand? Is the Universe itself alive, and permanently so, in that it is an existence of its own (not, one should add, in the manner of God).

If there is life, then surely there has always been life. Is it really possible that inanimate matter could come to life, evolve, and develop into the complexity that we see around us? Does that really make sense? Why exactly would a combination of atoms evolve into a state of consciousness, having always (prior to that) been 'dead' (for want of a better word)?

Would anybody on here expect life to evolve if they were to place isolated, sterilised inanimate matter into a vacuum? I'm not sure I deem that possible.

Personally, I don't think life is a 'coincidence' in the terms that science would describe it. I believe that within the Universe, there has always been life. And that there always shall be life. I do not use this as proof of there being a deity. Merely I use it as proof that our purpose is whatever the Universe's purpose is - whether that be nothing, or something. Essentially, the conditions for life are universal - light, heat, water and energy are the things that the Universe holds in abundance. We are essentially slaves to superior forces - the forces of the Universe.

And I feel that the existential crisis is Universal, too.

Of course, this is all predicated on this experience that we are sharing being an actual reality.

I have to be honest and say that my first questions are never 'what is the meaning of life' and/or 'what happens when we die'. The questions I ask myself are as follows, in order:

- Am I real?

Of course, many people take things as being self-evident, then they elaborate to ask the big questions - the ones they feel worthy of - whereupon they tend to gravitate towards 'truths' that they also feel are self-evident. And that's where the vicious cycle of faith or faithlessness begins.

Isn't it simpler to live life as follows:

It is now. I am. That is my purpose.

(if you don't understand that, you probably never will).
    You've pretty much described my position. I'm also baffled by these big questions, though I think Descartes answered the "Am I real?" question (but doesn't "Cogito ergo sum" beg the question?).

*sigh* The Universe, illusion or not, is a pretty scary place. I don't think we humans can ever comprehend the deepest reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVII)
    OP's last activity was in 2011, I doubt he'll ever log back onto TSR!
    Hahahaha, oops good video nonetheless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVII)
    But just because we may be one of many, doesnt make us unimportant. Is a random kid in India any less important than someone else just because he's 1 person in 7 billion?
    No, we are all equally unimportant.

ReputationRep:
    If that's your view, fine

ReputationRep:
    to just enjoy the **** out of it, savour experiences then vanish forever

ReputationRep:
    There is no point.

The only 'meaning' comes from our consciousness and morals which are a result of evolution, which only happens due to probability, not for any 'reason'.

ReputationRep:
    The question is why did the human race ever venture out of the cave? It is something we rarely ask but I think it was because humans have the most complex brain on Earth. So we strive to find out how things work, to gain understanding, find new ways to live, invent tools, communicate and become better.

And we today are the result of thousands of years of humans striving to become better, to learn, teach, create and invent and even now there is so much left to discover, share and invent. So many things we do not yet understand. And some people ask what is the point of us putting rovers on mars and scratching the surface of the universe when we have so many problems on Earth, but with that mentality then what was the point in leaving the cave?

Therefore life is not meaningless, every single human on earth has this purpose.

So we are right now the next link in a very very long chain which becomes stronger and stronger by each generation, which will be passed on the next...

ReputationRep:
    Just like you ask what the point of life without the afterlife is I ask you what the point of afterlife is after life?

You don't need to be born with a meaning, give your life meaning. My goal is to help educate the people around me by helping schools and hopefully opening my own so we as a species advance even faster.

My ultimate goal though would be to become immortal - It's kind of sad that once you've achieved so much, become experienced and knowledgeable is the time that you'll be less able to apply those skills due to the effects of ageing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    Life isn't just about preparing for an afterlife or doing good because you want to go to heaven or hell. Some people such as humanists maintain the belief that life is about having fun and treating other people how you would like to be treated, it's not a test - you are meant to enjoy the experiences and live in the moment.

Those who are atheists do have morals, morals aren't strictly a religious things.

There's more to life than worrying about why we are here. Some people just want to enjoy it and it doesn't all of a sudden become pointless because you're an atheist - that's nihilism.

ReputationRep:

Compared to what and measured by what criteria?

You must have an interesting definition of "importance" for you to equate it with scales of magnitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aWildPidgey)
    There is no point.

The only 'meaning' comes from our consciousness and morals which are a result of evolution, which only happens due to probability, not for any 'reason'.

You do realise that evolution is non-random, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doornumber3)
    You do realise that evolution is non-random, don't you?
    Well it is in fact random non randomness. Random mutation, in a non random environment

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.