The Student Room Group

What is the point of life? (atheists only please)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
The point of life is finding our own point of life.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mmmpie
Even if the universe is cyclic on a large scale, that doesn't mean events within the universe will repeat themselves each time around. It's highly unlikely that your life would repeat in future iterations, and if it does then this one is also a repetition and there is no point to life because there is no free will.

But it repeats for ever - so no matter how unlikely it is, it's going to happen eventually?
I'm a nihilist. There is no point. We are here through a series of random events causing this random combination of atoms to be sentient. When we die that is it.

But while I'm alive and here? F*ck it, I'm enjoying myself! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 503
there isn't a point, but I don't need one to enjoy it
There isn't one. Isn't that glorious? This entire universe, with no purpose to it except what we give it?
Reply 505
I know I'm going to get slated, but hear me out. I know I'm a Christian and I know this is meant for Atheists, but I don't believe exactly what Christianity believes.

In my opinion, the point of life is to die. Sounds depressing, but I believe if we spend our life doing things then we anticipate death. No one knows what happens at death, atheists and religious people alike. Science nor religion can provide a real answer, our primary purpose is to die, and we all fulfill that eventually. That's the answer to life, death. We can raise civilizations, get degrees, have children, murder, travel, meditate, discover whatever, but we are all guaranteed to die and so that is a purpose of our life.

Does this make any sense or is it just me rambling? :s-smilie:
Reply 506
Life is it's own point - it does not require some sort of preordained divine purpose to be meaningful.
As far as I'm concerned the fact that elements forged in the heart of a supernova have somehow managed to coalesce into an organic creature capable of questioning it's own purpose is infinitely and unequivocally amazing.

In many respects I think the fact that I do not believe in a continuation of personal existence after death actually makes life more meaningful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 507
Why I hate life no one likes me who dose it's just a thing that u have to have money for
Reply 508
If you want to understand the meaning of life then read Richard Dawkins - "The Selfish Gene" we are just giant survival machines for our genes, nothing more than that. Programmed over 100's of thousands of years to create opportunities for our genes to continue, some of which are 1000's of years old.

The meaning of life is to replicate, or to help protect your close relatives (whos machines also contain your large amounts of your genes) and that's it............
Original post by sytun
If you want to understand the meaning of life then read Richard Dawkins - "The Selfish Gene" we are just giant survival machines for our genes, nothing more than that. Programmed over 100's of thousands of years to create opportunities for our genes to continue, some of which are 1000's of years old.

The meaning of life is to replicate, or to help protect your close relatives (whos machines also contain your large amounts of your genes) and that's it............

too bad richard dawkins is a nobody, his militant atheism beliefs are just boring to listen to and he seems to only portray his opinion in an attempt to offend people for no reason.
Reply 510
On the naturalist view there is no actual objective 'meaning of life' human beings even if we have certain evolutionary morals that lead us to preserve human life and reproduce but I wouldn't call that a purpose. That doesn't mean there is no meaning to life, just that there is no universal meaning in life and that it is all subjective.
Reply 511
Original post by ChildishHambino
too bad richard dawkins is a nobody, his militant atheism beliefs are just boring to listen to and he seems to only portray his opinion in an attempt to offend people for no reason.

Militant Atheism.............. Maybe in his other books, but the selfish gene is purely based on scientific fact, and he is hardly a nobody
Reply 512

Dawkins is a far from a 'nobody', he's written and lectured extensively on the subject.
Original post by sytun
Militant Atheism.............. Maybe in his other books, but the selfish gene is purely based on scientific fact, and he is hardly a nobody

Original post by pjm600
Dawkins is a far from a 'nobody', he's written and lectured extensively on the subject.

Probably a better word would have been good for nothing then.
Reply 514
Probably a better word would have been good for nothing then.

Read/watched anything by Dawkins?
Original post by pjm600
Read/watched anything by Dawkins?

appetite for wonder and quiet a few of his debates. It's got to the point though where his opinions are just offensive rather than purely controversial which I didn't mind.
Reply 516
appetite for wonder and quiet a few of his debates. It's got to the point though where his opinions are just offensive rather than purely controversial which I didn't mind.

hmm I'm guessing you are not an atheist, because the only people he is likely to offend are those with religious beliefs, how exactly does he offend an atheist? Are you a closet believer in the man in the clouds?
Reply 517
I'd say each person determines their own reason to live. For some it is to be successful/respected, for others to settle down and start a family and for others to lead an interesting life. Ultimately it all comes down to one thing: people want to be as happy as possible for as much time as possible.
Original post by sytun
hmm I'm guessing you are not an atheist, because the only people he is likely to offend are those with religious beliefs, how exactly does he offend an atheist? Are you a closet believer in the man in the clouds?

nope i would probably class myself agnostic if anything. His beliefs are just as extreme and annoying to listen to than a militant religious follower. I personally am not offended by him but the stuff that spews out of his mouth just so he can create a social ****-storm is just not needed.
Original post by sytun

Never actually read Dawkins but I have serious doubts that he 'understands the meaning of life' - don't get me wrong i'm sure he's an intelligent man given his position in academia; but I doubt a problem of such magnitude (particularly one that is philosophical) can be doubt with on the basis of biology alone; here's a good question:, if our genes were programmed over 100's of thousands of years to create oppurtunities for our genes to continue, why? How does this relate to understanding the 'meaning' of life? What is the meaning of the existence of our genes? Seems rather circular.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending