Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There doesn't have to be a point. The Universe is just a massive chemical reaction, Earth is just a part of it

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion there is no point... Why does everything have to have a purpose? I think humanity likes to think there is a purpose to their existence to make themselves feel better and to make themselves feel worth something. Totally understandable but I believe that there is no true purpose of humanity. Whether we live or die makes no difference to the universe.

Reword it slightly and say that the goal of life would be to live, be happy, reproduce and get the most out of life that you can.

Somethings do serve an immediate purpose but ultimately we do no have any purpose. As a grain of sand occupies the beach, we occupy the planet, although we are killing our planet whereas the grain of sand does nothing so I'd say that grain of sand has more right to exist than we do.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    Well, why do you have to have a God in your life for it to have meaning and purpose? What about one's personal goals in life? We did not just evolve to eat, drink and then eventually die; though this is true, it isn't solely the reason to why we're alive. I dislike how you think that just because one is an atheist s/he are oblivious to the basic moral principles. As far as morals and ethics and concerned, they are a matter of humanity not religion. You don't need religion to tell you that it's wrong to lie or steal. With stuff like that, it's common sense. The main of purpose of life for not just atheists like myself, but anyone else too whether him/her being religious or not, is that we should aim to make the most of it while we're alive. Your life is what you're emotionally attached to, and those feelings and emotions have been shaped by our surroundings. You're going to have to live life anyway so why not make the most of it while you can? It is important to live our life in a way that satisfies us and our inner emotions and urges, and that is the point of us to live. It's irrelevant what happens to us after death.

ReputationRep:
    To make others happy. If you can do this you will feel satisfaction. There is no greater purpose

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The point of life is to survive long enough to pass on your genes, and leave the earth in a better state than how you found it. Advancing our species, essentially~

ReputationRep:
    There isn't one apart from to ****, drink and be merry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OedipusTheKing)
    There isn't one apart from to ****, drink and be merry
    Amen to that!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone keeps trying to find the meaning of life, but is there even a meaning in the first place? Also, even if there is a meaning to life, there is still the possibility that it varies from person to person, so it's quite myopic to think that there is only one universal meaning which applies to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    It may sound nihilistic of me to say that I don't believe there to be a collective "point" to life. I believe that a meaning of life is attributed individually and subjectively by us all. Of course, your question could be interpreted as a slur towards atheists, indicating that without God there is no point to life. I would argue the contrary.

I create purpose for my own life. These are as follows:

To leave a positive lasting impression upon my immediate family.
    To love, and allow myself to be loved.
    To protecct those whom I love.
    To write.

ReputationRep:
    There is no point. Ultimately, you die and cease to have consciousness, and this will happen irrelevant of what you do and how long you live.

Quite an old thread, this one, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Bumping a 5 year old thread?

ReputationRep:
    I'm with ridingmyego. This is meant to be an atheist-only thread but a lot of you still assume that you need a God for there to be any 'point'. Nietzsche would say that the point of life is to create joy and give it your own meaning.

It seems impossible the universe could only happen once; it's quite probable the universe repeats itself endlessly forever. So, you could be living this life over and over again forever.

Any physics students care to enlighten me on this point? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rabid child)
    I'm with ridingmyego. This is meant to be an atheist-only thread but a lot of you still assume that you need a God for there to be any 'point'. Nietzsche would say that the point of life is to create joy and give it your own meaning.

It seems impossible the universe could only happen once; it's quite probable the universe repeats itself endlessly forever. So, you could be living this life over and over again forever.

Any physics students care to enlighten me on this point? Cheers!
    Even if the universe is cyclic on a large scale, that doesn't mean events within the universe will repeat themselves each time around. It's highly unlikely that your life would repeat in future iterations, and if it does then this one is also a repetition and there is no point to life because there is no free will.

ReputationRep:
    That's a question without answer really. Not a simple one anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The point of life is finding our own point of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    Even if the universe is cyclic on a large scale, that doesn't mean events within the universe will repeat themselves each time around. It's highly unlikely that your life would repeat in future iterations, and if it does then this one is also a repetition and there is no point to life because there is no free will.
    But it repeats for ever - so no matter how unlikely it is, it's going to happen eventually?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a nihilist. There is no point. We are here through a series of random events causing this random combination of atoms to be sentient. When we die that is it.

But while I'm alive and here? F*ck it, I'm enjoying myself!

ReputationRep:
    there isn't a point, but I don't need one to enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    There isn't one. Isn't that glorious? This entire universe, with no purpose to it except what we give it?

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm going to get slated, but hear me out. I know I'm a Christian and I know this is meant for Atheists, but I don't believe exactly what Christianity believes.

In my opinion, the point of life is to die. Sounds depressing, but I believe if we spend our life doing things then we anticipate death. No one knows what happens at death, atheists and religious people alike. Science nor religion can provide a real answer, our primary purpose is to die, and we all fulfill that eventually. That's the answer to life, death. We can raise civilizations, get degrees, have children, murder, travel, meditate, discover whatever, but we are all guaranteed to die and so that is a purpose of our life.

Does this make any sense or is it just me rambling?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.