What is the point of life? (atheists only please) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Stuart Mill)
    said with such a profound certainty
    Prove me wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    Prove me wrong
    that's not fair but you're right in that I cannot (still does not mean you're correct since truth can be independent of any proof of it, the atom existed prior to its discovery did it not?)

ReputationRep:
    The purpose is to get money and fck bishes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    Prove me wrong
    you didn't express anything to disprove. there wasn't an argument in your valuable contribution to this discussion. you stated two facts: that one is born and that one's birth is the result of sexual intercourse between two adult humans.

if you meant to imply that there is no meaning of life, then the burden of proof falls to you first, not to your critic.

that said, the OP's question is not a valid question, because its answer is inescapably beyond human epistemology. all that matters is that an individual deals with, is responsible for his existence according to a set of values that he/she arrived at independently. there is no meaning in origin, not because there is no cause, but because purpose is established in action, not in a thing's origin.

if a hammer could choose its purpose, it would assess that it was rather well suited to smashing things. it would not ask why it was made; its creator could simply have made a hammer because he liked hammers, not because he intended to sell the hammer to a blacksmith or to smash things with said hammer.

there is no meaning in a thing's origin; there is only meaning in its culmination, in its end use. everything else is pointless to ask, let alone pointless to answer.

ReputationRep:
    Life is fun, Party hard, find fulfilment, have a good time.

YOLO.

ReputationRep:
    hedonism gets old fast, kiddo.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of life from the point of view of a religious person either? You are alive right now so that...what? So you can go to heaven? That doesn't make any sense because it would just mean you are waiting for death to come. That is not a "point" of life, it is just a result you aspire for AFTER death. Why not just...live the life you have NOW?
    And secondly, why do you need a reason to be good? Atheists aren't good from fear of spiritual retribution or a promise of eternal bliss in heaven. Are you good only to get an entry pass into heaven and avoid being burnt for all eternity in hell, or do you genuinely find happiness in being nice to people?
    I wouldn't speak for other atheists, but I LIKE being a nice person. I like it not because I want something in return after I die, but because other people deserve a minimal amount of respect and consideration purely because of their ability to feel suffering just like me.
    According to me, we are here only for a few more decades. Soon it will be time for all of us to leave all this, perhaps forever. I don't think there is any afterlife for me, but again I'm not speaking for other atheists. So why not do something, anything, before we leave? The choice here isn't whether to live or not to live. The choice is WHAT you do with these few years that you live. There doesn't have to be an old man sitting up there keeping record of your good and bad deeds. Again, are you being good to get an entry pass into heaven, or are you being good because it is the correct way to live?
    This again does not justify hedonism. I think the point of life is to do what human beings do best: Think. Create. Innovate. Contribute. And try to make life slightly better for the people who will live after you.
    More importantly, even if you don't go out of your way to change the world, the least you can do is not be a total ***hole.
    Life is short, there is probably nothing afterwards. Live it the best you can, because really, what other choice is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vespa)

there is no meaning in a thing's origin; there is only meaning in its culmination, in its end use. everything else is pointless to ask, let alone pointless to answer.
    Which is just a convoluted and sparkly way of saying what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxJaninexX)
    To reproduce seems to be the point of life at a basic basic level.

BUT

To live life. To enjoy it to the fullest. To experience the highs and lows, to love and to have fun. Make the most of the time here as this is it. Try new things and experience all that the world has to offer in the years that we are able to.
    I agree BUT still, what is the point if in the end we will die and unless we are Napoleon or Martin Luther King, we will be forgotten in a few years. And even if our name lives on forever, we will not know that as we are dead.

This question is immensely difficult...

ReputationRep:
    I think people are conflating the terms "point" (purpose) and "meaning" with regard to an individual's existence, when in fact each term has a different definition. To me, when someone asks "What is the point of life" I believe they are attempting to identify quantifiable, generalisable goals. That is, while my goals may not be your goals, they are goals that can be explained easily to others. Now, if someone asks "What is the meaning of life", then I believe they are asking a question that addresses a strictly personal outlook or worldview; a view that is not as palpable as a purpose. So while we may both share the same goals, the meaning with which we imbue those goals may differ greatly.

Of course, there is some overlap between the two terms, so that you may find yourself in the enviable position of being able to derive meaning from the point(s) of your life. In short, I believe that meaning follows purpose. And that when it comes down to having meaning or not having a meaningful life, you can have purpose without meaning but you can't have meaning without purpose. So while the two concepts are interconnected, it's a one way street.

I also consider that both meaning and purpose are dependent on the person contemplating these concepts, which is the only way I think you can rationally discuss meaning and purpose. Attempting to find an absolute, inherent point/meaning to life independent of individual minds is a fool's errand (yes, I'm looking at you religion).

ReputationRep:
    I understand. What difference would it make it if all living things were extinct? We're all looking at doing things to achieve things, but not enough people seem to be considering the ultimate reason for all those things - this is as no one can answer it. Maybe there is no purpose. I'm an Athiest, but yet I feel that there has to be a 'God' or similar being as without this, we may find that there is no point. But if there is a God or similar being, are we not just a bunch of puppets created for his/her/its entertainment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kushaman)
    I understand. What difference would it make it if all living things were extinct? We're all looking at doing things to achieve things, but not enough people seem to be considering the ultimate reason for all those things - this is as no one can answer it. Maybe there is no purpose. I'm an Athiest, but yet I feel that there has to be a 'God' or similar being as without this, we may find that there is no point. But if there is a God or similar being, are we not just a bunch of puppets created for his/her/its entertainment?
    So by what I've just said there may or may not be any point (likely the latter). But as not all people think about life to this extent, some of those that do may fear death or human extinction, and some of those that do just think we should forget about it and enjoy life (which potentially includes reproduction and following or not following established systems to survive), the world is likely to continue to see and ever-increasing turnover of pointless lives.

On that basis, you should not worry about the ultimate point of our existence, and just enjoy the things that make you feel good in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    I'm plagued by this question as are most. I was brought up in a very religious household. Very. I rebelled as would anyone which was fun and madness ensued for the next 10 years. Living a hedonistic life revealing in life. As time passes perhaps you loose a close one or someone loved. Seems like the harder you try to hold on to things you love you inevitably loose all you love.
    I can see that the meaning for me is to make memories. I don't mean just taking photos but being close to others and experiencing things on this planet. See the most you can. Embrace a loved one. Travel, see the world. Meet strange people and make them a friend. Make MEMORIES. I nearly died a few years ago and when people say life flashes before your eyes, they're speaking the truth. I wasn't scared of dying but more at ease as the memories I had created with loved ones flashed up. It was beautiful. I plan to make the next time this happens better. Making memories for me is what life is all about. A friend of mine always says "live,love laugh and be happy". Good words. We're only here for a few years and the big questions will not be answered here or anywhere. People say is there a god, I myself have contemplated if he (or she) himself died?
    Strange thing about the word God. People go a little crazy but if you say aliens they're quite happy with that? Just a comment in passing. Its fun to then suggest one of the aliens is named god.

Make some memories!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    One question: Do you only find pleasure in whatever it is that you enjoy - socializing, watching films, dancing, art, discussion, whatever...

Because heaven is on the horizon? Or do you just enjoy it because it's enjoyable?

ReputationRep:
    I like this video by the British Humanist Society. This is the way I see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    I'm a firm determinist and I genuinely believe that our purpose on Earth is something we do not know but attempt to understand. It's something that is so out of our knowledge but is something determined by the laws of physics. I'm not saying fate, there's a difference between fate and determinism. So when you talk of desires being instincts, you're right; which are merely produced by some causal laws we are completely unaware of. We bother because it's in our biological nature. Well for most of us.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of life, one may question?

Well, in one sense there is a purpose to our existence which is the propagation of DNA - but of course that's not a very uplifting purpose.

However, there is a purpose to each and every individuals existence. Although by Darwinian evolution, we evolved by natural selection and chance, there is actually no point to life but there is a point to the meaning and what we give ourselves for our existence - who am I, what am I doing and why am i doing it?

Therefore, the point of life is to understand our existence and discover our true potential.

ReputationRep:
    Why does there need to be a point?

ReputationRep:
    The point of life is to love. Michael Jackson ones famously said "if you are born loved and you die loved what's happens in between doesn't matter.' I personally agree, being loved and loving is what we live for, it is the only thing that can keep a world together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comus)
    Why does there need to be a point?
    This is such a brilliant reply!!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.