Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point of life? (atheists only please) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppyevamay)
    The point of life is to love. Michael Jackson ones famously said "if you are born loved and you die loved what's happens in between doesn't matter.' I personally agree, being loved and loving is what we live for, it is the only thing that can keep a world together.
    This is a brilliant reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Micccol)
    This is a brilliant reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha thanks! What's your view?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppyevamay)
    Haha thanks! What's your view?
    Haha, well I'm not an athiest. But I think the point of life could in one way be as you said; to love for the sole betterment of another individual or group of people in ones own individually unique way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To watch as much anime as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Micccol)
    Haha, well I'm not an athiest. But I think the point of life could in one way be as you said; to love for the sole betterment of another individual or group of people in ones own individually unique way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm glad someone agrees with me!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sarahl89;15330401]Does there have to be a point? We're all here whether theres a point or not - lets make the best of it.. enjoy life, and make the world a nice place for others to enjoy aswell.. as for morals, i don't see what on earth they even have to do with religion or there being a point to life, you can be an atheist AND a good person aswell! shock horror! so i don't believe in God or heaven or hell, i still want to enjoy my life, still love my friends & family and appreciate the natural beauty and how amazingly and cleverly evolved the world is and do what i can to help other people on the planet.. i don't see why anyone would need the incentive of a nice cushy cloud to sit on after they die to do any of that..[/QUOTE

I admire your view on life. Put it in your diary then look back and compare in ten years. If little has changed then you have found your reason to be. You might want to reflect on your understanding of 'heaven'. Clouds can be so cold on the hole of the body!! Atheists and those who believe in God both rely on 'faith'. Keep an open mind or trust in faith?

ReputationRep:
    I find it amazing how even atheists find it so completely impossible to grapple with the fact that there is no meaning of life.

ReputationRep:
    There is no point.

(Original post by Jjj90)
    I find it amazing how even atheists find it so completely impossible to grapple with the fact that there is no meaning of life.
    Why? Atheists are normally atheists as they see it as the logical conclusion. No amount of wishing it was otherwise changes that.

ReputationRep:
    Biologically, to reproduce and propagate your genes.

Apart from that, why does there have to be an underlying meaning to life?

ReputationRep:
    Meaning? Truth of the matter is that most likely no one knows. The best you can do is fabricate your own conclusion- but even then it's nothin' more than a naive assumption. Even worse; even if there's a meaning, chances are we won't ever know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    As we have a sense of self-awareness then I suppose we need to delude ourselves into thinking that we are happy when ultimately it doesn't matter. Truthfully I think life is just coping with events and making the best out of a bad situation. We are all just grains of sand on a beach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjj90)
    But there is... the only reason we are how we are, is because we're good at reproducing, and taking care of our young - which is our purpose.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point in trying to be happy though?? We die, we don't remember we ever lived, we don't remember what happened.Only the people who live longer than us remember these things. Over time, they will all die as well. So, soon nobody will know who we were, and , more importantly, from our own perspective, we won't remember we lived. Therefore, there is no point. Our whole existence is based upon the memories of ourselves an others, all of which will be erased or lost over time. Once these memories have dissappeared, it can be argued we didn't exist since our existence was just a collection of thoughts and memories. These memories will die , so, by extension , we will never have been. What is the point of living when in the future we will never have lived?

ReputationRep:
    There is no purpose. Instinct tells us to re-populate our species but by doing so we are only growing a population which strives for meaning but cannot find one, hemce religeon. We have developed this complex consciousness which is dissatisfied with the purpose of survival because we sub-consiusly realise 'survival for what? We will eventually die and exist in blackness anyway' so we create imaginary reasons to satisfy our sub-conscious such as morality, heaven, hell, living for love but when you think about it, it all comes down to the simple fact that EVERYTHING WILL END so it is all for nothing. The purpose of living is to find a reason to live and a way to escape mortality.
    Sorry if this upsets you or makes no sense, forgot to take my meds :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    What has the existence or not of a God got to do with life? We have an over rated impression of our own importance. We are of less value than even a grain of sand on the beach for when we are dead and buried after our short ife,the grain will still be there.

ReputationRep:
    this

ReputationRep:
    It seems that there is no "point" of life, seeing as it seems each individual person has a subjective way they experience life. What's to say that we are all living life in the same state of consciousness as one another? And my referencing the "Heaven" argument that you made, why would heaven be sufficient motivation on how to live the life we were "given." Why would we strive to succeed here, simply to move on to another realm of consciousness?

It also seems that biology and sociology, though those two do seem to intermingle sometimes, play a huge part on where we are. Why we were made this way, I can't say. In my opinion, it probably wasn't "divine intervention." Human beings, and it seems most self-aware creatures are driven simply by the need for improvement and advancement. We are all living simply as we are, and we just so happen to base most, if not all, of out decisions on whether or not it will improve our, or someone else's, existence. I would argue that there is no "point" to anything. We all just simply are. We are all just living our own level of consciousness, whether large or not. Physically speaking, we are all probably just accidental genetic mutations. And of course we will not be the last beings to believe that we are special enough and meaningful enough that there is a "point" to our life, no matter how big or small.

Before I go, I just want to say that I sincerely apologize if I have offended anyone, as that was not my intention at all.

ReputationRep:
    Life is like a game. You experience, you may explore, you have currency much like you do when you visit a theme park. You may do anything you want (Although you may end up dead or in jail but #Yolo right?) I suppose it is just an experience, I believe in afterlife, but I believe life is a gift or test either way enjoy it whilst your here.

P.S I do not normally say #Yolo, but #Yolo right?

ReputationRep:
    The words 'point' and 'meaning' presuppose something external. Life just is - we can impose any meaning we like onto it. Some people like to pick apart the evolutionary computer programme, and others like to just enjoy its effects. Success (and even failure) release a different kind of drug to just 'being happy', so people naturally pursue success. However, this doesn't make it any less 'meaningful'.

Heaven is just the pursuit of a parent figure once you have outgrown your own. The alternative is to take responsibility and become the mentor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    The words 'point' and 'meaning' presuppose something external. Life just is - we can impose any meaning we like onto it. Some people like to pick apart the evolutionary computer programme, and others like to just enjoy its effects. Success (and even failure) release a different kind of drug to just 'being happy', so people naturally pursue success. However, this doesn't make it any less 'meaningful'.

Heaven is just the pursuit of a parent figure once you have outgrown your own. The alternative is to take responsibility and become the mentor.
    Hi Octohedral :hi:
    I miss seeing your posts, I always find them intellectually stimulating :sadnod:

I know the thread title says 'atheists only', but I hope y'all can overlook my intrusion - given that one can take from my thoughts whether religious or not. I'll copy-pasta from a discussion I had with miser; here is what our discussion surrounded:

(Original post by ash92:))
    What follows discusses, as mentioned, the relation thereof to both religious and non-religious view points - so some of it you may find irrelevant - and in some places, it may be inadequately explained.

So, here it is:

The purpose of life is essentially two-fold: to attain happiness and to attain security. Our biology causes us to embark upon these missions, sometimes without even being consciously aware of how we do it. Examples of both autonomous and voluntary pursuit of these goals are seen in our reflexes to avoid harm, our desperation to acquire primary sustenance, our need to protect ourselves and those we love, our pursuit for happiness, our seeking of shelter and safety, and so on and so forth.

As such, this can be categorised into 2 groups - the pursuit of happiness and safety in the short-term, or that in the long-term. An example of the former would be finding food and eating it, whereas an example of the latter would be to find food and then store/preserve it for later use, with the long-term benefit in mind.

Islamically, both of the above examples would be categorised as short-term, that is, relating to the dunya. The long-term classification would be reserved for matters pertaining to the aakhirah. What's more is that the 'purpose of life' remains definable by the aforementioned pursuits, only now, the short-term goals are defined as what would sustain one in the dunya, whereas the long-term is defined by that which would enable one to attain happiness and safety in the aakhirah - and this would be outlined by God's revelation to man. As such, the purpose of life are attained by means such as taqwa, khushoo' and ihsan - and these serve to better one's situation in both the short-term (dunya) and the long-term (aakhirah).

So, what 'dya think?
    As I say, some parts do venture into religion-specific comments, but it's pretty suited to the thread, imo, nevertheless.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.