Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    Hi Octohedral :hi:
    I miss seeing your posts, I always find them intellectually stimulating :sadnod:

I know the thread title says 'atheists only', but I hope y'all can overlook my intrusion - given that one can take from my thoughts whether religious or not. I'll copy-pasta from a discussion I had with miser; here is what our discussion surrounded:
    Hi ash - you too! :hi:

DW, it's totally relevant to the thread. Regardless of your religious point of view, happiness, security and some form of what is interpreted as 'higher' fulfilment seem to be universal foundations of meaning in human societies.

From an evolutionary and non-religious point of view it could be argued that these are simply accidental by-products of or aids to 'things that reproduce well', but I think it can be a mistake to think that this implies they somehow aren't 'real'.

I think we agree on what meaning is, just not necessarily on what gives the meaning meaning or what it means for meaning to be meaningful.

ReputationRep:
    To Reproduce
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by JamesC1994)
    To Reproduce
    In part I agree, but also it seems that (for humans) to sit around questioning everything is a good candidate

EDIT: Wait, actually no. There is no meaning of life. We don't actually know what life is (100%). So if we don't know what life is how do we find a meaning of life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Hi ash - you too! :hi:

DW, it's totally relevant to the thread. Regardless of your religious point of view, happiness, security and some form of what is interpreted as 'higher' fulfilment seem to be universal foundations of meaning in human societies.

From an evolutionary and non-religious point of view it could be argued that these are simply accidental by-products of or aids to 'things that reproduce well', but I think it can be a mistake to think that this implies they somehow aren't 'real'.

I think we agree on what meaning is, just not necessarily on what gives the meaning meaning or what it means for meaning to be meaningful.
    Lol, that last line was brilliant - and, perhaps surprisingly, followable :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.F.)
    The Moral code we have in practise today is one which derives itself in a formalised manner from religions as a whole. We are unable to differentiate which occurred 'pre-religion' and post religion. Following Darwin theory we are and exclusively and instinctively animals which should in theory mean our behaviour is intrinsically selfish.
    WRONG

Darwinian thought does not say we are all intrensically selfish and therefore discount our deep seated morals. Caring for other people proves to be advantageous to an individuals survival-
    If everybody cares for each other in a tribe then it's more likely that each individual will survive. If everybody was against each other then we would all die out because humans best survive in groups. This is the reason for our morals not because we are guided by a god.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really one... apart from to reproduce and to continue the species I guess.

So that kind of means you can do what you want and have fun as it doesn't really matter

ReputationRep:
    Philanthropy, reproduction, doing what you feel like doing whether it's suceeding financially, academically or artistically or maybe nothing.

ReputationRep:
    There is no intrinsic point, why should there be one?

ReputationRep:
    Well atheism and theism debating the point of life is a bit like debating whether skyrim or minecraft is better. Some people prefer a clearly defined linear path and others are quite capable of making their own.

Skyrim was probably a bad example as it isn't that linear, but you get my point.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To enjoy yourself and make the World a safer and happier place for your children.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that there can be any inherent meaning in an atheist's worldview. They all rely on unfounded principles. Who is to say that reproducing is the best way forward? Who is to say that making the world a better place is the best way forward? It's a pedantic point but it's necessary when we are talking about intrinsic value.

ReputationRep:
    this question doesn't make sense; it assumes that there *can* be a point in life, when life isn't something that has a plan or a purpose other than the fact that evolution/abio. occurred and perhaps as well your parents decided to make a child - that's it. other than this, there is no sense in asking "what is the meaning of life" or "what point is there in living your life" because you won't get a mystical answer other than either something straight forward (as I just explained with the parent deal) or something like "you can create your own plan in life, seeing as life has no pre-set plan other than survival/death")

ReputationRep:
    god came into existence after the attainment the knowledge to think,even the god is also our creation,god has no forms in this world,we had given human form to the god."every individual soul has the capacity to see the god(form less god,i.e., inner self) through the consciousness"-swami vivekananda.
    according to your question,if there is no tangible god,there wont be any tangible heaven,every thing on this earth is delusion(maya).if you come out of the delusion,you can see GOD/HEAVEN/OMNISCIENCE/e.t.c. we can defeat the delusion proper means of consciousness.such consciousness can be achieved by the practice of meditation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    I don't think that there can be any inherent meaning in an atheist's worldview. They all rely on unfounded principles. Who is to say that reproducing is the best way forward? Who is to say that making the world a better place is the best way forward? It's a pedantic point but it's necessary when we are talking about intrinsic value.
    I think you misunderstood when people say it is to reproduce. They are saying it because all biology of living things steer that way in their evolutionary functions. Not that to reproduce is some kind of profound purpose.

I'd like to hear why you think theism is founded assuming that was your implication.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Since when has morality and meaning come from religion?

ReputationRep:
    Well surely an atheist must have a more clearly defined and fulfilling answer to this question than a religious believer?! For example, an orthodox approach to Christianity will result in the denial of the many pleasures of life, for example the 'sin' of sexual temptation and the freedom to question scripture from the point of view of literary interest, and must only result in an obsession over repentance, showing that, in spite of religious adherence, the orthodox Christian cannot escape sin. The religious view of this life must therefore be as preparation for a future life, with pleasures that could be enjoyed in this life merely being postponed until the religious follower enters a new life. The atheist, however, understanding the transient nature of life, has no such restraints, and therefore makes full use of every opportunity for self fulfilment and self advancement. The atheist, therefore, understands that meaning is something created and fulfilled by the individual, whilst the religious believer passes life only in awaiting the next.

EDIT: Surely the presence of a purpose in life necessitates the existence of a higher intelligence to ascribe the purpose? In this case, an atheist can derive no purpose from life, except if it is in turn provided by a superior human being.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is no 'point' to a blind chemical process, it just happens. There's no 'point' to life, any more than there is a point to the orbit of the planets or the carbon cycle.

Humans ascribe meanings to things because it suits our purposes: we need names for things to reference them, and we need to see motivations because it helps us socially. But these urges to ascribe names and meanings are not relevant to the universe as a whole, they're only relevant to us as individuals, or us as individual societies, because they show how we fit in to the universe and how we can interact with it and to what end our actions will lead. But there is no overarching purpose, only whatever purpose we believe is necessary subconsciously or consciously (usually the former).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

For me there is only one obvious answer; that we have been programmed into life: You ask of an athiest, but I am Spinozian.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    Are you after a profound purpose? There isn't one.

The only thing all living things live to do is reproduce. Therefore the point to life is to reproduce.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheLifeDelusion)
    Well surely an atheist must have a more clearly defined and fulfilling answer to this question than a religious believer?! For example, an orthodox approach to Christianity will result in the denial of the many pleasures of life, for example the 'sin' of sexual temptation and the freedom to question scripture from the point of view of literary interest, and must only result in an obsession over repentance, showing that, in spite of religious adherence, the orthodox Christian cannot escape sin. The religious view of this life must therefore be as preparation for a future life, with pleasures that could be enjoyed in this life merely being postponed until the religious follower enters a new life. The atheist, however, understanding the transient nature of life, has no such restraints, and therefore makes full use of every opportunity for self fulfilment and self advancement. The atheist, therefore, understands that meaning is something created and fulfilled by the individual, whilst the religious believer passes life only in awaiting the next.

EDIT: Surely the presence of a purpose in life necessitates the existence of a higher intelligence to ascribe the purpose? In this case, an atheist can derive no purpose from life, except if it is in turn provided by a superior human being.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This one below is quite clear. But even if there are gods or religious figures who created life, doesn't mean there is a purpose. If you think about it logically there is only one guaranteed thing in life and that is death. The purpose of life is surely something we all aim to achieve. All living organisms aim to reproduce. Therefore, the only set purpose in life is to make babies. Beyond that you make your own more personal purpose

(Original post by Andy98)
    Are you after a profound purpose? There isn't one.

The only thing all living things live to do is reproduce. Therefore the point to life is to reproduce.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.