Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point of life? (atheists only please) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven...
    Correct

what then is the point of life?
    So the only thing that brings meaning to your life is heaven?

I find meaning in all manner of ways throughout my life and it feels rich and rewarding and I have absolutely no notion of there being a heaven.

I feel utterly privileged that evolution came together in such a way that I get a shot of being alive right now with the senses that I do to enhance the experience. Admittedly it is kind of ironic that the level of conciousness evolution has allowed me to attain has made me aware how brief the experience is. I do not however feel the need to travel a disillusionary path and invest in the narcissistic notion that there is an all knowing being who is looking out for me and will sort me out when my time comes to an end.

If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything
    Ridiculous contemptuous assumption that if someone does not believe in god that they cannot possess morals. The notion of 'right and wrong' can exist out-with a belief in deities.

and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon
    This "seemingly pointless phenomenon" is the most astounding and wonderful thing I know of. Just because something does not have a predefined meaning does no mean it cannot be wonderful and you cannot feel privileged to be a part of it.

why then do we bother?
    Why would we not bother? Billions of years of evolution have come together to this point and given you the opportunity to be a concious being who can appreciate and question their environment. To me it would be utter madness to "not bother" with it.

The last thing I would ever want to do with my limited time here would be to invest myself in a fantastical notion and not see the planet, the solar system and the universe for what it is! Which I feel is nothing short of awe inspiring.

ReputationRep:
    Survival

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    Survival

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And reproduction

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    And reproduction

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh survival and reproduction thats it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    Yh survival and reproduction thats it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as this is the only guarantee in life, the point of life is to die. I think we will all accomplish this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At some point in the past,we invented God(as a principle); that was so long ago that now we can't remember why. briefly,that is the point of life: to find out why was that?!?!?!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by QuantumSuicide)
    Seeing as this is the only guarantee in life, the point of life is to die. I think we will all accomplish this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is no point in life. Humans don't serve a function - we're not needed for the Earth to keep spinning - humans are purposeless. However, my 'point' in life is what I want it to be - which is why it's great to be an atheist - I don't need the idea of judgement day to get out of bed in the morning: experiencing our planet; exploring vast and vibrant cultures; and living off lives' luxuries is my reason to live.

Religious people are trapped and threatened with a great divine - it's sad. Enjoy your life as of now - don't burden on an unforeseeable afterlife; find your own purpose in life and you won't feel compelled to administer subjective philisophical arguments.

ReputationRep:
    There is no point apart from God. There are no morals apart from God. apart from God, nothing matters people. wake up. You can believe there is no God for sure, but if that's the case, nothing means anything. The universe is expanding and will one day disappear. All will be dead and gone and the planet will be no more as if it never was and you and I will have no memory of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumSuicide)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, just because it's inevitable that doesn't mean it's the point of life...:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I just want to be as happy as is possible.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't one general answer specific to everyone, on a global scale you could argue it's to reproduce. However, I guess the purpose is just to be happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    There's no point of life other than that which you create. How arrogant we are to believe that our species is of cosmic significance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketCiaranJ)
    There's no point of life, other than that which you create. How arrogant we are, to believe that our species is of cosmic significance.
    Well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Well said
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is the point of life

ReputationRep:
    Well there being "a point" to something is a creativity of the human mind and it is so embedded in the way we view life. We constantly seek to question and explain things we have no comprehension of. Perhaps we just ditch the question of whether there is a point and just accept we are here.

ReputationRep:
    to worship allah. ! >

ReputationRep:
    To have fun! (I'm not an atheist but that's still what I believe!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.