Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by lazzarus)
    There is no wrong in just living, neither is there wrong in questioning.
    But why bother questioning something we can never know. Belief in heaven is so odd to me. If you had a choice between nothing and something (that could be anything). What would you choose? Nothing or a block of Tesco Mature cheddar with a South Korean flag in sat on top of a scooped out cat's head full of Guinness?

It's just so unlikely that if there is something the thing you believe is what there is. See what I mean?

What's the point in not living?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    But why bother questioning something we can never know. Belief in heaven is so odd to me. If you had a choice between nothing and something (that could be anything). What would you choose? Nothing or a block of Tesco Mature cheddar with a South Korean flag in sat on top of a scooped out cat's head full of Guinness?

It's just so unlikely that if there is something the thing you believe is what there is. See what I mean?
    hahaha, I guess I like the process of thinking it through. And you can't say there is no answer.... philosophy's answer to Issac Newton may be born today for all we know!

ReputationRep:
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    hey.
    i know it said 'atheists only' and i am a believer in a superior being but i know where you are coming from because since i have started studying philosophy i have been asking myself the same question.
    to be honest, i can't really seem to find a distinctive point in us living but, however, there must be some sort of reason for us being here.
    i don't think even the greatest philosophers will come up with an undoubtable reason why, and we just have to accept that.
    If there is a God, we ask ourselves 'well, where did he come from?'
    somewhere down the like something must have come from nothing and then this would result in the fact that there is no point in us being here, because it was just chance?
    i recomend you read 'Sophie's world' it helped me alot

hope i've helped (although i kinda know that i havent haha)

Naomi xx

ReputationRep:
    someone in the crowd said sex

ReputationRep:
    I <3 God

(Original post by Yusuf.T)
    I <3 God
    I <3 Roquefort

Your point being?

ReputationRep:
    Why does there always have to be a point?

There was no point to making this thread, yet you still did.

Human curiosity, desire and drive is far better a reason than any "point".
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    'no moral reason to do or not do anything' - I would object to that claim - I am an atheist but feel a strong moral obligation towards people.

I would rather there is NO heaven tbh. It would be sooooooo boring after a while lol. I am satisfied knowing that I am PART of the universe, that I can lead a great life without some ultimate purpose.

Heaven would raise more problems wouldnt it? What SHAPE are we in when we die. How can a monist believe in life after death?

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR LIFE AFTER DEATH (which can be tested in scientific conditions).

As a result of the onslaught of rationalists, the word God has become paler and paler. Eg Matthew Arnold’s definition - ‘a power not ourselves that makes for righteousness’. Eddington said there are probably nowhere else in the universe beings as intelligent as humans. If you take the total matter in the world and compare it with the amount forming bodies of intelligent beings, the latter bears an infinitesimally smaller proportion.

The earth will not always remain habitable and thermodynamics says the universe is not running down. Heaven and ultimate purpose is completely based on faith - science tells us the earth has crawled by slow stages to this somewhat pitiful result, and it will crawl through more pitiful stages until universal death - that is hardly purpose to me. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.bird)
    hey.
    i know it said 'atheists only' and i am a believer in a superior being but i know where you are coming from because since i have started studying philosophy i have been asking myself the same question.
    to be honest, i can't really seem to find a distinctive point in us living but, however, there must be some sort of reason for us being here.
    i don't think even the greatest philosophers will come up with an undoubtable reason why, and we just have to accept that.
    If there is a God, we ask ourselves 'well, where did he come from?'
    somewhere down the like something must have come from nothing and then this would result in the fact that there is no point in us being here, because it was just chance?
    i recomend you read 'Sophie's world' it helped me alot

hope i've helped (although i kinda know that i havent haha)
    Naomi xx
    Your contribution is helpful, thanks .... I wish I was religious tbh, but I am restricted by my incredulity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    I <3 Roquefort

Your point being?
    Does there have to be a point?

i thought the whole idea of this emo infested thread was to just talk about how things have no points..
    kinda like circles
    oh em gee
    'life for an atheist is like a circle.. it has no point'
    ahahahaha.. oh em gee i just thought of that now!!
    patent pending *****

ReputationRep:

i thought the whole idea of this emo infested thread was to just talk about how things have no points..
    kinda like circles
    oh em gee
    patent pending *****
    lmfao!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That is silly, I am an atheist and have never had to rely on god as a motive for anything. The question was why. Sorry this kind of " bbc question time" response annoys me. Read my earlier post to understand my point.
    I read your first post, I shouldn't have to read further than that to understand your question. If you're not religious, then put yourself in the position of someone religious to understand my first comment - my answer to your question is in my post.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, does God's life have a point?

kinda like circles
    oh em gee
    patent pending *****
    Fair point. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Right... this isn't going anywhere. Same arguments keep coming back to the fore, so I best end it. The best conclusion I can draw from all the agruments was stated above:

all great points, shame I had fallen asleep too early to see them all. I guess seeking an external reason for life is a vestige of religion, and there needn't be one. The personal pleasures derived from life is reason enough, and as for immortality.... I guess our best hope is reproduction or some sort of greatness that leaves a mark.

Thanks y'all

ReputationRep:
    make your own points. have fun, be nice to people, try to make a difference, don't be a bell-end.

ReputationRep:
    There's no point in life. I do what I do because of evolution (although I only think about my actions in terms of evolutionary biology on rare occasions).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    To be curious. I am religious, but in a very different way to most as Im neopagan. So I think our only reason for being here is to be curious, explore the world, reproduce. Were pretty mush the same as animals so same reasons they are here.

ReputationRep:
    Just because Atheists don't believe in God does not mean that they don't have morals.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.