The Student Room Group

Best Further Maths Modules for Economics?

What are the best further maths modules for Econ at a top uni like cambridge lse Ucl etc.

Obviously FS1. But then FS2 or FP1 ?

Also which is harder (FS2 or FP1)
Original post by Sjsjsjsj72626
What are the best further maths modules for Econ at a top uni like cambridge lse Ucl etc.

Obviously FS1. But then FS2 or FP1 ?

Also which is harder (FS2 or FP1)

Do you have a choice in your school? I don't think unis ever ask ...
I mean what will be the most useful for the course itself, which is heavy on math.
Reply 3
I did FS1 and FS2, and I found them pretty manageable - in fact, that’s a big part of the reason why I got a higher % on further maths than single maths! By contrast, we looked at a few FP1 topics earlier on in the course as a taster, and they seemed really quite tough.

As for which is more useful for economics, stats in general is obviously pretty central to the subject, whereas a lot of the topics in FP1, such as vectors and trig, are not very relevant at all, though some of the calculus in it may be.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
I did FP1 and FS1 and I found FS1 a hell of a lot easier than FP1 so I assume FS2 would be easier too but dont take my word for it as I've never taken it. I study economics at the moment and looking at the syllabus I think that FS2 would be better for economics, basically all of it is stuff that is used in econometrics. I did also use matrix algebra and proof by induction in economics which are in FP1 but the rest of FP1 I personally have not come accross in economics. So overall I would take FS2 if you have the choice.

It goes without saying this won't really help you in your application but will make your life a hell of a lot easier when you're taking youre stats/econometrics courses and make it easier to get a top grade. (I know that already knowing stuff from FS1 helped me quite a bit).
Your talking about the post 2017 syllabus right? Proof by induction and matrices are both in C1 not FP1.
Reply 6
(Original post by Sjsjsjsj72626)Your talking about the post 2017 syllabus right? Proof by induction and matrices are both in C1 not FP1.

Oh wait are they? Yes I mean the currenty syllabus, I did it two years ago (or well didn't since exams were cancelled haha). When I was looking at the FP1 sylabus online it seemed to indicate that they were in that but I might've been looking at C1 then. Sorry, I can remember doing them but can't rember which paper it was on. Either way I think FS2 is easier and more helpful for economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending