Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why they don't do this for Philosophy and Theology... anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    link
    "Please note that University College has decided not to admit any further students for Economics and Management (E&M). This is a change from the information provided in the printed prospectus."
    Oh I see, I didn't notice the 'Univ' at the beginning of your post; thought you were talking about Oxford in general so was slightly confussed :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Waheyyyy)
    Oh I see, I didn't notice the 'Univ' at the beginning of your post; thought you were talking about Oxford in general so was slightly confussed :p:
    Well, Univ was the college which was best known for doing that (and possibly the only college which actually did that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    Isn't modern languages a bit different though - you can't do Spanish on its own, so they couldn't offer you it.
    I'm pretty sure you can do single honours Spanish...

Yep: http://www.mod-langs.ox.ac.uk/spanis..._undergrad.php

ReputationRep:
    For history and modern languages they email you and ask whether if you are unsuccessful you would like to be considered for single honours history or single honours languages

ReputationRep:
    do you konw if this would be the same for psychology and philosophy (PPP)

ReputationRep:
    You know its true if they emailed you around two weeks ago asking you. Eg I got an email asking about whether I'd want to be considered for single honours. So if you got an email then it is true for your subject if you didn't then it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    no email so claerly not - shame; thought it might give more chance , oh well.Are you applying for PPP then?

ReputationRep:
    Nope history and modern languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spike4848)
    Well...from personal experience (or near enough). My ex applied last year for Spanish and Arabic. She got rejected outright despite being told in her post-interview notes that she was the best candidate for Spanish applying for any of their language courses. She was rather pissed off, understandably.

BUT Mod Langs entrants are considered as a bunch - so if there were people applying for other languages who were better at those that she was at Spanish, they would get in. Also I believe Spanish and Arabic would be EMEL not Mod Langs, and there are often different quotas for these, and again someone applying for a different European lang might have been better than her at that.

I'm the only one at my college doing Spanish and there are none in the year below and only two (out of about twelve linguists) in each of the other two years, despite there being loads of applicants for Spanish every year. It would seem that the Germanists etc are just better. I have heard of Fr/Sp applicants being offered Fr/Port instead - it seems Port doesn't get particularly good applicatnts...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.