Turn on thread page Beta

Mom has key to my bedroom door! watch

ReputationRep:
    Omg! My mom just changed my bedroom door and she has 2 keys, one for me and one for her!?? I said: "give me the keys I could take care of it", she said no! she will take one of them! OMG then whats the point i locked the door?...tell me i'm over reacting but the idea someone has the key to my bedroom door is not my kind of idea of a hiding place/piece of mind from everything!!

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered having a chat with your mum about it to explain? If you tell her what you have told us then maybe she might consider giving you the spare key back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    Omg! My mom just changed my bedroom door and she has 2 keys, one for me and one for her!?? I said: "give me the keys I could take care of it", she said no! she will take one of them! OMG then whats the point i locked the door?...tell me i'm over reacting but the idea someone has the key to my bedroom door is not my kind of idea of a hiding place/piece of mind from everything!! :mad:
    You're over reacting. If anything, there's a safety issue involved if you are the only keyholder.

ReputationRep:
    oh grow up

She's your mum, shes not some randomer

I've never needed a lock on my room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Have you considered having a chat with your mum about it to explain? If you tell her what you have told us then maybe she might consider giving you the spare key back?
    Yes i did told her that. Omg, when she took the key she already irritate the hack out of me!! ...but still, it's my room...

ReputationRep:
    ITT: Bratty teenagers who overreact and think they are being screwed over by the world.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need to lock the door. I don't have a lock. Sure occasionally it would be good to keep the brother out from messing on the pc and Xbox, but other than that... no need for one. Just shut the door, and put things away. Your mum wouldn't go rooting through your stuff
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yes i did told her that. Omg, when she took the key she already irritate the hack out of me!! ...but still, it's my room...
    Why do you even need a lock in a family house?

I just close my door and anyone who needs me knocks :s:

Plus, like mentioned before, there is a safety aspect, i.e. if you loose both keys? or if they need to get in your room in an emergency?

Seriously I don't see what the issue is.

ReputationRep:
    Has she given you any real/valid reasons as to why she wants your spare key?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even have a lock on my bedroom door; I can just trust my mother enough not to go snooping! Or rather, I trust the fact that she knows how big a ***** fit I'd have if she ever did.:ninja:

You should speak to her, or change the lock.:yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by LokisFenrir)
    ITT: Bratty teenagers who overreact and think they are being screwed over by the world.
    You mean :emo:?

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I think you'll find that it's technically her room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur_de_haine)
    the fact that she knows how big a ***** fit I'd have if she ever did.:ninja:
    Lol..that really calms me down

You should speak to her, or change the lock.:yep:
    i don't think i will right now because i already did that just now..

ReputationRep:
    Apart from asking the question, why would anyone need to lock a door in a family home, you need to think about it from a practical point of view.

If your mother has no access to your room, how is she supposed to make your bed, get your dirty washing, hoover and generally keep it fit for human habitation? Or are you going to do all those things?

Secondly, what if you carry both keys around with you and you lose them? Wil you pay for the new door to be replaced afte you break down the old one?

Thirdly, I don't know you, and I'm not making assumptions, but what if you are taking drugs, smoking etc and you have an overdose, or set the place on fire and no-one can get into your room to save you from dying?

You should either negotiate a safe place for the spare key, or not bother locking the door.

ReputationRep:
    because its your room, in her house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    Why do you need to lock the door. I don't have a lock. Sure occasionally it would be good to keep the brother out from messing on the pc and Xbox, but other than that... no need for one. Just shut the door, and put things away. Your mum wouldn't go rooting through your stuff
    You'd be supprised, my mum has done it many a time.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of keys won't open a door if there is a key in the keyhole on the other side.

ReputationRep:
    Get together and put the spare key in a tin and both of you seal it (with wax or something). Then, she'll only be bothered to get to the key and going through the effort of breaking the seal when there's a real serious reason for her to get into your room. Also, you would know when it's happened.
    Thus, if there's a fire/safety issue, it's not that hard to open a wax-sealed tin, but she won't be arsed to do it every time she wants to peek at your underpants. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually have any siblings?

My sister attempted suicide in her room, which was locked and she had the only key (mind you, she was the only person to lock her room or even have a key for her room). Took me a while to break it open but I succeeded before the ambulance arrived.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.