Turn on thread page Beta

Mom has key to my bedroom door! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    If your mother has no access to your room, how is she supposed to make your bed, get your dirty washing, hoover and generally keep it fit for human habitation?
    urm...by my self? how old are you??

Secondly, what if you carry both keys around with you and you lose them? Wil you pay for the new door to be replaced afte you break down the old one?
    we never looked our room when we are not inside it. I only locked the room when i'm inside. So if i loose it inside...then just open the door...

Thirdly, I don't know you, and I'm not making assumptions, but what if you are taking drugs, smoking etc and you have an overdose
    LOL this is the funniest assumptions that i've ever got. Do you really think our moms are that stupid not to know that there are drugs, smokers coming from the room it self?(if they did know they would not have allowed me to locked the door!) Owh and by the way i never smoke or do drugs, I assume you did? My assumption only!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Get together and put the spare key in a tin and both of you seal it (with wax or something). Then, she'll only be bothered to get to the key and going through the effort of breaking the seal when there's a real serious reason for her to get into your room. Also, you would know when it's happened.
    Thus, if there's a fire/safety issue, it's not that hard to open a wax-sealed tin, but she won't be arsed to do it every time she wants to peek at your underpants. :yep:
    lol thanks for the idea and the last one was a good one :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    At least you've got a door that closes, my bedroom door is jammed open.
    And at least you have your own room, I share with my sister so there is always someone walking in and out.

What are you going to be doing that means you need your door locked anyway?

Seriously, you're over reacting. Stop being such a spoilt brat. She probably just wants a key in case you collapse or something in your bedroom while the door is locked, so that she can get in. Also so that there is spare in case you lose your one.

ReputationRep:
    It's her house anyway.. it's better that she has a key - what happens if u lose your keys and your spare is in your room? You will have to break the door... bit pointless having two keys in that case.
    What have you got to hide?

ReputationRep:
    I believe that your mum has a point in having a spare key to your door for safety issues. Maybe its not jus your bedroom that she has the access to put to everyone's, so in any case of emergency she and your family can have access to them, nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    Why do you need to lock the door. I don't have a lock. Sure occasionally it would be good to keep the brother out from messing on the pc and Xbox, but other than that... no need for one. Just shut the door, and put things away. Your mum wouldn't go rooting through your stuff
    Girls do have important reasons to lock the door and i am sure she hasnt got anything to hide!

ReputationRep:
    Sakes. Just stand against the door when you masturbate.

If she's going to be washing your clothes and tidying up, then I'm sure she can have access to your room.

What if there was an emergency? Most kids don't have a lock on their door, or deserve one, as you have just proved.

How old are you? When I was a kid I would have freaked out at anyone else having a key to my room, too. My mum did have a spare one, but then my brothers found out where it was and they went in, took what they wanted (video games and money) and destroyed everything else - curtains torn down, bookcases overturned, drawers and their contents all over the floor, bed toppled over, mirror smashed, stuffed toys ripped apart. So after that I thought screw safety and took the spare key myself. I had to keep my door locked all the time, otherwise my brothers would wreak havoc. (And my mum did her fair share of snooping, diary reading, taking-my-stuff-and-selling-it, too...)

So yeah, some people do need to lock their door...

(anon to protect identity of my brothers on tsr!)

ReputationRep:
    You are over reacting, i dont see the problem in a mother having the spare to key to her childs room, thats a good thing id say. and plus its her house not yours, so she should have access to all the rooms. dont get too hyped about it. unless you have something to hide in your room.

ReputationRep:
    If you have your own key, lock the door on the inside and leave the key in the door - she won't be able to get her key in the front if yours is still in the back.

I have a padlock on the front of my door, and a slide across bolt on the inside. woot.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why you need to lock your room. So, you only lock it when you are in there, which means that you aren't bothered about her snooping when you are not around, therefore, it seems that you are trying to hide something that you are doing from her. What could you be doing that your mother would find so terrible?

ReputationRep:
    She's paying for the house - basically, like it or get out.

ReputationRep:
    Locked bedrooms are stupid anyway! I've never bothered wanting one on mine.. even when Kelly comes round to watch TV.

Way I see it is, I'm 18 and It's their house and I'm there free so I live by the rules!

ReputationRep:
    Its a very sensible idea for your mum to have a key too. What if something happened to you whilst you were locked in your room, and no-one could enter? What if you left a lamp or something turned on whilst you were out with your keys, and it set fire to something? The possibilities for big problems are endless.

Negotiate with her, don't demand both keys, but suggest that she does as someone else suggested here, and seals it in a tin. Something like that.

(Original post by newman24x)
    Omg! My mom just changed my bedroom door and she has 2 keys, one for me and one for her!?? I said: "give me the keys I could take care of it", she said no! she will take one of them! OMG then whats the point i locked the door?...tell me i'm over reacting but the idea someone has the key to my bedroom door is not my kind of idea of a hiding place/piece of mind from everything!! :mad:
    you dont do nasty things in your room do u?

anyay, i think you're over reacting. lets think of it in the other way. If u lost you key, you wouldnt be locked out of your room because (thankfully) your mum has a spare KEY!! yae.

Im 21 and i SHARE room with my sisters, so there you go, stop moaning.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    What could you be doing that your mother would find so terrible?
    Here's an idea: masturbating. It might not be true, but it's one thing no one wants their mothers to see them doing and one thing most people think is actually a pretty fair reason to want a bit of privacy now and then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Here's an idea: masturbating. It might not be true, but it's one thing no one wants their mothers to see them doing and one thing most people think is actually a pretty fair reason to want a bit of privacy now and then.
    But why would she come in all the time? My door isn't locked but my mum never comes in and if she does, she knocks first. That said, when I'm not there she goes through all my stuff but when I am there she'd never come in without knocking first. I think most parents are like this as their children get older.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    But why would she come in all the time? My door isn't locked but my mum never comes in and if she does, she knocks first. That said, when I'm not there she goes through all my stuff but when I am there she'd never come in without knocking first. I think most parents are like this as their children get older.
    All you've proven, really, is that your mum wouldn't go into the OP's room all the time. Or that most mums wouldn't. Or whatever. The OP obviously thinks this is a problem, so maybe the OP's mum goes into their room rather too frequently for their liking. Mine certainly doesn't leave me alone - she knocks, while opening the door, and expects that I instantly drop whatever I'm doing to speak to her, regardless of whether it's three seconds of information or a half-hour one-way discussion on what a rubbish person I am. (Needless to say, I don't typically oblige her.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    exactly... surely, having your door closed would stop them just barging in? And how about waitng until night time?

ReputationRep:
    its your mum's house = her room.

She's also your mother - its her rule!

Also, say you lost your key when you were out, and your spare key was inside your room?

What if, as people have said, there's a fire or something?
    Or if you hurt yourself?

I personally dont think there should be a need for a lock in a family house.
    I never have. My door is shut if i dont want to be disturbed, and if they want me, they knock on the door and wait for an answer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.