The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
flugelr
I've never needed a lock on my room

I take it you've never had mummy dearest walk in when whacking off then?
Reply 41
Just agree to keep the spare key where you both know it is, but so that you can check where it is still.

Or, if you're that bothered (which you needn't be), fit a bolt.
Reply 42
Everybody keeps saying "My mum doesn't come in, and my door's always open" Like generalebriety has already said, all that's proving is that your parents wouldn't go into the OP's room. She has an issue, and she would like the key to her own personal space. I don't think that's a bad thing at all!

OP, my door has a lock on it that can only be opened from the inside. Maybe you could get a bolt or something? Perhaps from a DIY shop? My family have finally grasped that if my door is closed it usually means it's locked, and if it's locked that usually means I'd like some privacy. Half the time, I don't even lock it anymore, and they just assume that it is!

Obviously, only resort to buying and fitting your own lock after trying to speak to your mum and explaining that you'd really prefer it if she didn't have a key.
Reply 43
It's her house. Atleast you have a lock on your room, we don't have any locks on any doors except external ones (not even on the bathroom). Get over it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'd think differently if you collapsed in your room or something and she needed to get into you.
Reply 44
I cant believe how many people are saying 'theres no need for a lock in a family house' etc.. whats the problem with wanting a little privacy sometimes? i've never had a lock on my door, asked when i was about 14 or something and my ma said no (what if theres a fire etc..) and never bothered raising the issue again, but despite asking i don't know how many times for people to at least knock before they barge in, my mum, when she remembered to knock at all, would knock then just walk in anyway, my dad would just walk in alll the time having a go at me for one thing or another / go to bed / turn the light off, and my sister used to just walk in all the time too.. so in the end about 6 months ago i went & bought a bolt, never bothered asking, which has now solved the problem.

I think people need to realise that not everyone's parents have the slightest bit of respect for their privacy!
Reply 45
erm.... why not just get one of those bolt slider locks that you can only lock from the inside....? that way you dont even need a key....
Reply 46
Stop complaining. I'm sure if she tries to open the door and notices it's locked, she'll at least try knocking before getting out her own key.

The OP seems to have a fairly childish attitude towards the issue. If I was the parent here I'd take both keys - problem solved...
why would u need a lock on your door :s-smilie:
Yuffie
But why would she come in all the time? My door isn't locked but my mum never comes in and if she does, she knocks first. That said, when I'm not there she goes through all my stuff but when I am there she'd never come in without knocking first. I think most parents are like this as their children get older.

I'd prefer she came in without knocking than do that while I'm not there to be honest. That's sort of selective courtesy.
Reply 49
I don't understand why, if the OP is that bothered they don't just leave their key on the inside of the door when it's locked...
newman24x
Omg! My mom just changed my bedroom door and she has 2 keys, one for me and one for her!?? I said: "give me the keys I could take care of it", she said no! she will take one of them! OMG then whats the point i locked the door?...tell me i'm over reacting but the idea someone has the key to my bedroom door is not my kind of idea of a hiding place/piece of mind from everything!!

There is a way around this my friend. Cut the key in half and glue the end into the end of the keyhole, then ONLY your end part/key will open the lock. Make sure you try this when the door is open first to prevent any confusion concerning locking yourself in/out of your room.
Reply 51
Give your mother a good slapping.
Reply 52
It's only your room if you pay rent.
Reply 53
LokisFenrir
ITT: Bratty teenagers who overreact and think they are being screwed over by the world.

I laughed, but I can't empathise with the OP. My mum would never dream of looking through my room.

Hope you get it sorted.

Latest