The Student Room Group

does applying twice give me a better chance of getting in?

hi i want to do computer science. currenlty thinking of applying to Durham for Computer Science and then applying for Natural Sciences (Computer Science + Economics). Then Warwick CompSci and applying also for Cyber security. Then applying to Birmingham..

Would applying to warwick twice be a good idea. they are separate courses and i want to apply to both.
same for durham - they are different departments so surely i would be considered separately???

there's a know-it-all in my year who told me i shouldn't apply twice... but i like both courses at Warwick and both courses at DUrham

also I dont take further but hearing that others are applying for cambridge is seriously messing with my ego because i am really passionate (not saying they arent) but I like to think that i make a fairly good candidate for CompSci (im predicted A*A*A and i think my PS is pretty good). there was only 1 college on the open day who didn't care about FM. would it be worth applying for cambridge just incase applying to durham twice doesnt actually help my chances of getting in.....................................................................................................................................

Not vibing currently :frown:
bump :smile:
i dont know if it is bad TSR ettiquette to bump your own post but here's one more bump because I am really desperate for advice sorry :frown:

edit: I won't do this again, sorry.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jeebzlovesyellow
i dont know if it is bad TSR ettiquette to bump your own post but here's one more bump because I am really desperate for advice sorry :frown:

It is bad etiquette, especially when your question isn't particularly urgent.

You have till, what, January? You don’t need to bump twice within an hour.

also I dont take further but hearing that others are applying for cambridge is seriously messing with my ego because i am really passionate (not saying they arent) but I like to think that i make a fairly good candidate for CompSci (im predicted A*A*A and i think my PS is pretty good). there was only 1 college on the open day who didn't care about FM. would it be worth applying for cambridge just incase applying to durham twice doesnt actually help my chances of getting in.....................................................................................................................................

You need to look at the Cambridge colleges CS requirements page linked to from
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science

There are 18 colleges that don't mention Further Maths.
Reply 6
The Natural Sciences course is split across departments if I remember right, so I'm not sure how they manage admissions for it - they may well see both applications.

^ it's not as urgent as you think.

And even if you do decide to apply to Cambridge, you can apply to a course now and then add more choices later on.
Original post by ageshallnot
It is bad etiquette, especially when your question isn't particularly urgent.

Im sorry :frown: I wont do it again I was just not feeling very happy and just wanted instant help :frown:
for cambridge my schools unofficial deadline for putting names in was this monday so i am panicking a bit as to whether or not to apply
Original post by mah1000000
i thought so - we haven't really been told much and i only found out today that you dont have to apply to all 5 unis at once
Original post by Sinnoh
The Natural Sciences course is split across departments if I remember right, so I'm not sure how they manage admissions for it - they may well see both applications.

^ it's not as urgent as you think.

And even if you do decide to apply to Cambridge, you can apply to a course now and then add more choices later on.
Original post by ageshallnot
You need to look at the Cambridge colleges CS requirements page linked to from
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science

There are 18 colleges that don't mention Further Maths.

Thank you. On their individual websites though they say different things and when I went on the open day they said they wanted FM
There are some universities which will automatically consider you for a related but less oversubscribed course if you don't get onto the oversubscribed one - it would be worth asking anywhere that you're considering applying to twice whether they do that, because at that point you kinda get two applications for the price of one.

I don't understand the Cambridge question - if you're asking whether it's a good backup option for Durham then no, not really. If you are looking for a backup, you need somewhere with significantly lower requirements and significantly higher chances of getting an offer. (Which you should have anyway.)
for cambridge my schools unofficial deadline for putting names in was this monday so i am panicking a bit as to whether or not to apply

Then put your name in. You have several weeks to decide that you don't want to after all. You won't actually be applying until the end of October.
Original post by skylark2
Then put your name in. You have several weeks to decide that you don't want to after all. You won't actually be applying until the end of October.

Yes. I think I will thank you :smile:

And in response to your previous message, that is really helpful so I will get in contact with the admissions now. I am perhaps getting overly stressed when i need to just spend time to think things through.

Quick Reply

Latest