The Student Room Group

Has anyone joined a Christian society in uni?

I am a member of cru in my uni. I often go on outreaches and have trainings as well. And every summer we have UFO (University Freshman Orientation) as we welcome a new batch of students to the uni via different events, making them know God while satisfying their needs as they adapt to uni life.
The best memory I had was inviting someone to convert during an outreach in January. The biggest spiritual battle I faced during my service is for an event in UFO as a storm was on course for HK. We had faith and kept praying for the event, and it went ahead, and one person in my group is joining Alpha! This is just incredible!

What about you?
I've been part of chapel communities but have (and continue to) avoid Christian Union socs at my three universities like the plague :ahhhhh:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I've been part of chapel communities but have (and continue to) avoid Christian Union socs at my three universities like the plague :ahhhhh:

You're part of 3 unis????
Nope, not even when I was a practicing Catholic. Thought religious societies sounded cringe, can also be rather 'toxic' as people are fond of saying these days.
Original post by _Rusty_
You're part of 3 unis????

I'm an alumna of two and currently at the third doing a PhD :shakecane:

why, out of interest?
No and I never would.
Too many fire&brimstone types of insufferably smug noise nuisances and creepy cultists from cash coveting crank groups trying to lure in unsuspecting teenagers or prosthelytize very vulnerable older students.
Far too much absolutist dogmatism and religious identity politics for my taste.
With frequent attempts to create a divisive tribalist environment amongst uni students that encourages tendencies that are separatist and either opposed to the concept of christianity as "a broad church" or hostile towards much of popular culture and secular life.

I believe that all religious societies and their related groups should be kicked off uk uni campuses.
Along with: the CI, PS, UAF, any group that has a history of hazing/public nudity/drug fuelled mass violence amongst the membership or potential membership, all societies connected with abortion or BDS and half the pervasive identity politics & most militant activism groups currently operating within uni premises.
I'm an alumna of two and currently at the third doing a PhD :shakecane:

Ahh right I met a PhD student yesterday who had been at the same uni for there BSc MSc and now PhD. Safe to say they are looking forward to change:lol:

What are you studying if you don’t mind me asking?
Original post by black tea
why, out of interest?

The first paragraph in londonmyst's post sums it up. That kinda Christianity drives me up the wall tbh and is in direct opposition to how I live out my own faith :s-smilie:

In any case: personally, as a Roman Catholic, I can't sign or swear by the beliefs outlined by the UCCF Christian Unions :nope:
Original post by _Rusty_
Ahh right I met a PhD student yesterday who had been at the same uni for there BSc MSc and now PhD. Safe to say they are looking forward to change:lol:

What are you studying if you don’t mind me asking?

I'm doing a PhD in sociology of music, looking at fans of the pop group ABBA :biggrin:
The first paragraph in londonmyst's post sums it up. That kinda Christianity drives me up the wall tbh and is in direct opposition to how I live out my own faith :s-smilie:

In any case: personally, as a Roman Catholic, I can't sign or swear by the beliefs outlined by the UCCF Christian Unions :nope:

Have you joined the cathsoc at any of your unis?

I can't wait to go to uni so I can join one - I met a uni cathsoc group in Lourdes and the sense of community was sooo nice!
Original post by maple's_marbles
Have you joined the cathsoc at any of your unis?

I can't wait to go to uni so I can join one - I met a uni cathsoc group in Lourdes and the sense of community was sooo nice!

My first uni, I went to Catholic Mass (not Cath Soc, mind you!) once and everyone seemed so much more pious than me, that I got an inferiority complex and never went back, oops! :colondollar: Second uni I went to, I was hardly ever there so didn't bother finding out whether there was one. My current uni, I'm a commuting student again so am not formally part of the Cath Soc but I'm on their WhatsApp chat and everyone seems lovely and really kind :biggrin:
Hey! I'm not at uni yet but I hope to join a nice Christian community once I get there. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by daisiology
Hey! I'm not at uni yet but I hope to join a nice Christian community once I get there. :smile:

This always happen among the Christians I know.
Me: Oh no! I only got 38% in my exam!
Christian fd #1: Not much better than you, I got 50.
Christian fd #2: Don’t worry guys, I got 32.

Even if we fail modules, we do it together haha
'making them know God' that's amazing
Reply 15
Original post by Genesiss
'making them know God' that's amazing

I found two people who were quite ready and have invited them to an evangelical service from my church next weekend.
The first one was a 3rd year student who knew a lot but was hesitant to convert. He was reached on 29th September in one of the canteens on campus, and I prayed for a safe trip home for him 4 days after reaching him. He was stuck at Hang Hau for 20 minutes during an MTR train breakdown.
The second one was a 2nd year student in my Alpha. He seemed quite interested about the videos and always wants to know more.

Quick Reply

Latest